58 patt webbing SLR but pouch

tinweasle

Last weekend I picked up what im told is a but pouch for the L1A1 slr in mint condition. But having talked to a few ex soldiers I know non of them have ever seen of herd of them, so who would they be issued to and what was the reason for them?

Cheers

Shaun

If it's one of these, they were ALL released Brand new & NEVER got issued! The reason for this was, No One knew they existed in the stores system!!!

They were designed for Northern Ireland Patrol Operations. When standing at a VCP (Vehicle Check Point) or for long periods with an SLR Rifle & IWS Night Sight. The combination of the Two WAS very heavy, & it was akward to hold a rifle & handle paperwork on checks ETC. The Butt holder took most of the weight of the weapon & sight unit & distributed it to the 58 Pattern waistbelt.

To that end, the WHOLE lot was released onto the Surplus market. Again, No One knew what they were. And a LOT of Militairia dealer sold them as Hexi Burner Carriers. Which was ridculous, as you had enough kit on a webbing set complete at the best of times!

It was just a coincidence that the hexi burner sets fitted into these pouches. but that ws NOT what they were designed to be used for!

there were thousands of these aboput at one time. But as they were hard to shift as no one realy believed they were Hexi carriers. A VAST amount were burned as unsaleable!

All the above remarks are fairly spot-on.......SLR butt-pouch or hexi-stove carrier...........

I seem to remember resting my SLR on my right-side 58 pouch, though you had to wear the belt loose and without the yoke to achieve a comfortable fit..................never, ever saw one of these pouches in service, though plenty on the surplus market 20-odd years later....:undecided:

I paid a fiver for a mint one at Detling in August. I was on a bit of a P58 webbing and associated items buying mission. Now working on olive drab and DPM PLCE. :D

DPM PLCE is still easy to source, but utility pouches are becoming scarce and command a premium if mint......

The green PLCE from 1989 to 1991 is fast becoming hard to source, especially in mint condition.........I have two mint complete sets plus a decent quantity of parts but not sufficient to build up a third set...most surplus dealers have now run out of stocks of most green PLCE items.........

Glad I managed to acquire two mint sets of 72 pattern trial webbing when I did (dated 1971 and 1972/3)...and I would swap one set for a nice basic set of trial PLCE 85 !!!! :-D

Edited by wdbikemad

DPM PLCE is still easy to source, but utility pouches are becoming scarce and command a premium if mint......

The green PLCE from 1989 to 1991 is fast becoming hard to source, especially in mint condition.........I have two mint complete sets plus a decent quantity of parts but not sufficient to build up a third set...most surplus dealers have now run out of stocks of most green PLCE items

I've put together a complete belt order set of green PLCE, although it's all in varying levels of used condition. Some of it came from Sabre Sales who said they have "all" the green PLCE bits. (I have a spare pair of grade 1 ammo pouches if anyone is interested in doing a trade) I also had a bit of a result on Sunday at the Chelmsford militaria fair and got two green PLCE sidepack and yoke sets for £10.

I also now have all the belt order DPM PLCE bits except for a pair of ammo pouches. (One of the more expensive bits for some reason) All the DPM bits are either unissued or only very lightly used - bargains can be had on eBay with a bit of patience.

Sabre Sales DID have all of the green PLCE a year or two ago now (I raided much of it !!!:cool2:).....but a recent trip proved that most had gone.........mind you, I did manage to find a nice NOS pair of DPM PLCE ammo pouches there (dated 2003) at the same time for a very charitable £20 pair......there were a few more.....(honest !!! :-))