In gods name, what were they thinking?

WAYNE15071965

Just thinking....why all the emphasis on the negative views of re-enacters and those who make mistakes or can't be bothered to get it right.

We had compliments as re-enacters from a LOT of veterans, Patton's granddaughter(?),Gen. MacAullifes nephew(?) and many more.

Why kick those who invest a lot of time, effort and wear a uniform in RESPECT like me.

Its more fun to highlight the negative aspects I guess....

Olaf, nobody on here would accuse you of not doing it for all the right reasons (and nobody could accuse you of being old and fat):D but it is a very thin line between 'playing soldiers' and getting it right.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Olaf, nobody on here would accuse you of not doing it for all the right reasons (and nobody could accuse you of being old and fat):D but it is a very thin line between 'playing soldiers' and getting it right.

I agree about a thin line. Seen enough people playing sldier or even misbehaving in a uniform. Something that gets me mad. Maybe that's why some positive reports can tip te balance a bit for the good.

Guess I am taking it a bit personally but why not when being tarred with the same brush or even outright insulted.

I am not fat but not so young anymore also....luckily people think I'm a bit younger than I am.

What an interesting thread this is.

My personal opinion is that the photo is in bad taste.

I think that parading and showing historic military vehicles is hugely interesting and generates a great deal of public interest in 'our' hobby.

When I get my jeep on the road I will drive it with pride, knowing that I have used my mechanical skills to return it to good useable condition and I would like to think that it would go some way to stimulating peoples thoughts on the past.

When I wear my B3 or irvin jackets I am always aware that I am wearing a piece of history and always answer peoples questions about them.

As far as re enacting goes, it has never really been my 'bag' , my girlfriend is pestering me to get a ww2 American uniform so that I can look the part in my jeep.

I'm still not sure about this.

However having seen the huge crowd and enthusiasm for the battle re enactment at the victory show this year then fair play to the guys and gals who do it.

I was especially impressed with the 'german' infantryman who greeted me in excelent german and proceded to explain the virtues of the MG42.

I think the bottom line is that we should all do whatever we feel comfortable with, as long as it is done with taste and dignity and as long as people come away feeling educated and stimulated then I think its mission accomplished.

I'm still not sure about the uniform.

Skel.

Just do what you feel happy with... for me the scammell is a great big toy of a lorry i love "and hate" playing with. the fact it is ex military means nothing to me really and i have no interest in military history. It's painted red and goes in the commercial section at rallies, However i am always staggered just how many old boys have driven or worked with a scammell explorer. They aren't bothered it's not green and i'm wearing a pair of jeans and a tee shirt they are just happy to see one again...

Im reading this from two sides of the fence, I'm not at all sure the Broo HaHa about the chap in his Jeep is appropriate given its a snapshot, and to be honest its a bit "blue rinse politics" to get all high and mighty about these things isnt it ? Like Old ladies complaining about the weather as if someones to blame ;).

Re-enacting, its merits, downfalls etc are all very subjective. Personally when I first went to Beltring, I enjoyed seeing all those remarkable machines, and to be honest if the crew happened to be dress appropriatly then it sort of added to the effect, no harm done. So I can go with it. However........

I served 22 years in the Army and was deployed to most of the major operational areas of the time. The Army of the 80's re-enactors made me chuckle to be honest (why is it the Uniforms never seem to sit right on these folks they just dont look like soldiers) and again to be honest it was interesting to see some of the old kit that we had and made use of.

What checked me, was the Gulf War lot, I served in and lost friends in the 1991 conflict. I did gaul at seeing a bunch of dressers up "honourin" Op Granby, certainly dont feel I need honouring, not in that manner. Maybe it takes an "amount" of time for a historic re-enactment to become acceptable and in each case its going to be a very personal opinion. I have no opinion that says if guys want to do so, they shouldnt, infact if they enjoy it, then go for it lads why the heck not, truly if "playing soldiers" is your thing, I'm not being ironic, knock yourselves out, I have no doubt that in many ways its fun, all the clobber and guns and stuff, whats not to like.

Just ease up on the Honouring and Dishonouring stuff and for god sake its only a Hobby chill out !

Looking at that photo as a rank outsider (don't have the space or funds for an HMV at present) I can only think that perhaps, after seeing the general public cooing over the old military vehicles being paraded in front of them, perhaps he thought he should provide a reminder that death and suffering was also involved.

Just a thought, it would be pretty pants if it was just done for effect.

Held back a bit on this one.

Fine to restore and display vehicles and be proud of them and show to the public.

join a reenactment group collect all the kit get to show the public this fine.

get the vehicle dress up throw what appears to be a dead body over the bonnet drive it through a busy market town with familys and kids about just to draw attention to your self no give that a miss