In gods name, what were they thinking?

WAYNE15071965

This picture was taken at Pickering North Yorkshire this last weekend.

crapjeep.png

Why, why, why?

What sort of brain power has this simpleton jeep owner got?

Not only is it down right disgusting and distasteful to have a shrouded copse draped across the bonnet of his jeep, but it is a further insult to the American people, past and present to use their flag is such a deplorable way.

Then to drive though the streets with no sense of shame brings him to a level lower than a rattlesnakes belly.

This bellend needs to be named and shamed.

Earlier I did question what form of employment the woman with him had, I was extremely angry, I have now calmed down a little, however I do still wonder what sort of moral judgement she has, sat there in her finest, with a surposedly dead body on the bonnet.

If I had been there and seen that I would not have been able to stop myself calling him a few names not printable here or even stepping into the road and stopping him, and I know of several other GI reenactors here in the UK that feel the same.

This sort of behaviour only goes to trivialise and ruin what the rest of us do.

They are morons.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but it has upset so many people both here in the UK and around the world.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree completely with the comments above. How on earth could he think doing that would be appropriate in any context?. I do wonder if this would this have been allowed to happen at all a few years ago when many more veterans would likely have been present?.

OK folks - go a bit steady until the full facts are known. There will be a reason behind it............

Jack, what sort of reason could he have, Would you allow it on A&E? I think not.

This jeep owner has gone wat to far, and will bring issues for all of us, wether we walk or drive.

Jack, what sort of reason could he have, Would you allow it on A&E? I think not.

This jeep owner has gone wat to far, and will bring issues for all of us, wether we walk or drive.

I hear you Wayne and the answer to that is I don't know the reasoning behind it but there will most certainly be one - we ALL do things for a reason, ill judged may be but we all have motives behind our actions.

The internet is a powerful tool and can make or break reputations. Until the folks concerned are asked no one knows.

However, it is good that the movement is policing itself.

With regards to A&E - depends if it was in context.

JB.

OK. I agree it looks in very bad taste, but before we go any further, is the Jeep owner on this Forum or does anyone here know them so we can get their side of the story? Let's get all the facts before we jump to conclusions.

Without knowing the facts I'll suffice to say it may have been better to not do that.

A photo says a 1000 words but in this case it says nothing.

There reasoning isn't visible in the photo.

Best to avoid such displays unless a text is visible on the vehicle explaining it.

Hopefully the driver/passenger can enlighten us.

Bad taste maybe, common sense lacking maybe, full facts known from the owner of the vehicle unlikely. Were the owners re enacting something they had seen somewhere only they know... If I was the owner would I come on here and explain myself highly unlikely.

A potential member to this forum has been lost not good

What an exceptionally strange thing to do and incredibly thoughtless doing that on a parade. the only thing i can think they were trying to portray was the transportation of the body of Major Howie in to st Lo. This was done on a Jeep, probably in a manner not to dissimilar to the photo, and was left on the steps of the cathedral:

StLo.jpg

As for the girl in the Jeep, it somewhat detracts from the recreation if that is what it was supposed to be. As for doing it in a parade, well, hmmmmm. Lets wait for the flack to start falling. I am sure the tabloids will be on to this soon.

One has to wonder why other participants in the parade did not point out the fact that this action would most certainly offend peoples sensibilities, this individual may have no idea of the gravity of his action, he may well be mortified by the reaction on this forum, maybe we should wait for a possible explanation, I suppose that we all make mistakes.

I may be completely wrong but my initial impression when I saw this was that he was trying to show the reality of war.

I think it was Patton who said something about war being glorious but I think few would agree with him. This is something that has always concerned me about our hobby, it's very easy to get into enjoying it all and forgetting the horror that war brings.

Every piece of equipmemt and every vehicle the army owned was designed to do one thing, Kill people. Even the ambulance vehicles are used to get peopleto a hospitle so they can be treated in order to get back out there and carry on killing. Even my humble Scammell recovery tractor was made to help keep the general killing machine mobile. Different things offend differet people. I personally find grown men running round a field pretending to shoot each other highly offensive but would never want to stop anybody or insult them, i just don't watch it. Wearing a uniform of any kind should not be allowed unless you have earned the right to in the forces. Just put them on dummies so i can look at them...... just my two pennies now go and enjoy yourselves with whatever floats your boat....

I personally find grown men running round a field pretending to shoot each other highly offensive but would never want to stop anybody or insult them, i just don't watch it. Wearing a uniform of any kind should not be allowed unless you have earned the right to in the forces. Just put them on dummies so i can look at them...... just my two pennies now go and enjoy yourselves with whatever floats your boat....

So in movies, plays and documentarys etc. ONLY (ex) soldiers have the right to appear?

How about series, plays, films etc. about firemen, policemen, ambulance drivers, postmen etc?

A bit shortsighted or should we measure with 2 or more standards?By the way, considering a uniform as military only is in itself a insult to any other uniformed branches.

By the way, considering a uniform as military only is in itself a insult to any other uniformed branches.
You've lost me here i cant see where i stated that fact. But your right unless you were a copper or fireman ect i don't think the general public should have the right to wear said uniforms. Men and women worked long and hard to earn the right to proudly wear them and to see a bunch of IT workers poncing about glorifying death and suffering at the weekend is not my cup of tea. As for films and documentorys.....well there is a button i use on the remote control, I don,t think war films are very accurate either. I would rather read a factual book or a real soldiers memoirs. Mind you without their brave efforts and losses we would probably wouldn't be able to prance about depicting how great being shot at was....

The argument/discussion regarding re-enacting, uniforms etc has come up a number of times before and no doubt will again but until we can find out the guy's motives and what he was trying to represent it does seem a little pointless.

The ideal would be for him to be invited to come on here to explain but I won't hold my breath on that one.

It's highly unlikley that he would join the forum after the kind of insults thrown at him in the first post on this thread. I for one feel slightly let down by the insulting behavior and if he wants to join up i have no problem with it. Insults thrown about in forums REALLY ANNOY ME. It one thing in private face to face but not on a world wide forum.... He's more than welcome here i'm sure

I refered to this quote

"Wearing a uniform of any kind should not be allowed unless you have earned the right to in the forces"

Something may have been lost in translation but I never heard about things like the postal forces or ambulance forces.

Hence my conclusion you were talking about the Armed forces (military) only.

If I'm wrong then sorry.

Still the rest stays the same.

Your idea only real uniformed persons should wear the uniform no matter what is a bit strange in my eyes.

It would kill a lot of the visual arts.

Anyway, its your opinion and you're free to express it....like I am free to run around in a uniform.

You stated "I personally find grown men running round a field pretending to shoot each other highly offensive but would never want to stop anybody or insult them".

But to call re-enacting prancing is insulting as we aren't horses.

I think you are insulting a lot of people just to emphasise your personal opinion.

Edited by Enigma