Saracen Upgrade Progress

Alaskan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few more pics... we are going to repaint everything anyway, so we had a little fun with a can of white paint.... HMS Botany Bay...lol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55690[/ATTACH]

Can we expect to see more wildlife on your wall when you're done with the restoration?:-D

To answer a few questions...

- The top engine armor was raised 2" to give extra room for the DT466. We had to make an adjustment to the stop for the front driver escape hatch, but that was fairly easy and everything fits very nice.

- Visabilty is actually better than before as the vehicle sits a little higher. I drove to town (15 miles) with the front armor up, driving 55mph...looking through the vision block with no problems. I had the front left and right murder holes down to get an occassional view out the sides and used the mirrors for the back. I will be installing a three camera system to get good side and rear views.

- Steering is far better than before. Steers like a passenger car, very easy. Drives better with the center wheels up.

- Air brakes are tight. I like to feather my breaking, so getting used to the new brakes will take some time. We have a part on order to improve this somewhat.

- The decals in the photos are coming off, but we are working on new decals, possibly magnetic as it will be a dual use vehicle (see attached)

- The front bumper. Alaska law requires an "energy absorption device" (technical term for bumper) on vehicles. The funny thing about this law is that it can be about anything, including a 2X4 ...lol Anyway, we had mounts for a bumper so we installed a piece of pipe. The vehicle looked better when we sloped the front armor down to the bumper. In the future we will be extending the side rails/walkway (?) down 6" to improve the look on the sides.

- I have a short video on Youtube (best I could get on my phone) will get a better one up, hopfully next week when it is all nice and pretty with a new paint job. here is the link for the video

Attached are a few more pictures of a possible end look with logos on. Will post more next week.

KTNAPC.jpg

TROOPERBACK.jpg

enginebay.jpg

To answer a few questions...

- The top engine armor was raised 2" to give extra room for the DT466. We had to make an adjustment to the stop for the front driver escape hatch, but that was fairly easy and everything fits very nice.

- Visabilty is actually better than before as the vehicle sits a little higher. I drove to town (15 miles) with the front armor up, driving 55mph...looking through the vision block with no problems. I had the front left and right murder holes down to get an occassional view out the sides and used the mirrors for the back. I will be installing a three camera system to get good side and rear views.

- Steering is far better than before. Steers like a passenger car, very easy. Drives better with the center wheels up.

- Air brakes are tight. I like to feather my breaking, so getting used to the new brakes will take some time. We have a part on order to improve this somewhat.

- The decals in the photos are coming off, but we are working on new decals, possibly magnetic as it will be a dual use vehicle (see attached)

- The front bumper. Alaska law requires an "energy absorption device" (technical term for bumper) on vehicles. The funny thing about this law is that it can be about anything, including a 2X4 ...lol Anyway, we had mounts for a bumper so we installed a piece of pipe. The vehicle looked better when we sloped the front armor down to the bumper. In the future we will be extending the side rails/walkway (?) down 6" to improve the look on the sides.

- I have a short video on Youtube (best I could get on my phone) will get a better one up, hopfully next week when it is all nice and pretty with a new paint job. here is the link for the video

Attached are a few more pictures of a possible end look with logos on. Will post more next week.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58721[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58722[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58723[/ATTACH]

Awesome man, but howcome does it appear that the centre wheels are being dragged when turning?

So help me understand please. In the photo of the engine it appears to show the outlet for the compressor side of the turbo terminating near the front right corner of the radiator. Is that somehow hard plumbed into the intake side of the motor?

I will also assume it is no longer reverse flow cooling so the hot radiator air will be exiting the beehives just in front of the driver's hatch. I suppose in Alaska weather that will likely be a good thing.

Your video does look like it drives easily and it will certainly be one of a kind. Congratulation on a large project completed very quickly.

Regards,

Bob

So help me understand please. In the photo of the engine it appears to show the outlet for the compressor side of the turbo terminating near the front right corner of the radiator. Is that somehow hard plumbed into the intake side of the motor?

I will also assume it is no longer reverse flow cooling so the hot radiator air will be exiting the beehives just in front of the driver's hatch. I suppose in Alaska weather that will likely be a good thing.

Your video does look like it drives easily and it will certainly be one of a kind. Congratulation on a large project completed very quickly.

Regards,

Bob

Hi Bob, the open end of the turbo is the intake which will probably ducted to a cold air intake somewhere. I am also in awe of their accomplishment:shocked:

Nice job.

The front looks rather nead..

Personally I would have gone for the NI 5 bar gate look

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Alvis_Saracen_Mk_2_front_HKMCD.JPG

Well in this case a HK 4 bar gate.

Mike

Thanks, I now have a better pic of this particular vehicle for the Saracen register! Alaskan, do you have the vehicle number of your sarry as shown on this pic? I'd like to add your's to the register as well....

Edited by montie

Monty

Glad to be of assistance, even if indirectly.

Do think Alaskan has done a fantastic job on his. Some might disagree but I would rather see something modified and usable than static.

On top of which I do like Hotrods and a Hodrodded Saracen is something else:-D

Mike

Final pictures of the outside of the vehicle. I put my side business logos on it to allow me to deduct the costs on my taxes. I will post pictures of the inside renovations when we have completed them.

People are stopping by the shop daily just to look at this beast... way cool! back3.jpg

leftside.jpg

rightside.jpg

front.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...