What vehicle is this?

adilkadri

HI, need help inidentifying this vehicle![/size][/font][/color]I recently purchasedthis offroad vehicle on ebay in the UK.

On closer inspectionit seems like some sort of military light strike vehicle or desert patrolvehicle or maybe a ?replica. The chassis closely resembles a chenowth but thisis rhd.

It is powered by aaircooled vw engine and though the reg document says is is 1300cc the enginemarkings engine number indicate it to be a 1600cc engine!!

Oil cooler

Dry sump

Provision to add 3shock absorbers each side on the rear

vw running gear

Yokohama mud diggertyres

cnc marked pedals

Is it just a dune buggy or something else?

Many thanks

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

16.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

17.jpg

12.jpg

4.jpg

It looks like one of the sand rail kits (chassis rail design)I very much doubt its Original but more of a kit, I had 2 of them years backand for the life of me can't think of the name of the kit, but one of mine had3 shock mounts on the rear, and had a 2ltr engine while the other had a 1600ccengine.

the 1600cc one currently turns up at Beltring in desert colour and had loadsdone to it making it look quite right.

some very nice kits along the same lines

http://www.vw-store.com/Buggy Frames- Chassis.htm

http://www.shining-wit.net/rick/buggy/why/index.html#Plan 'B' - Sand Rail

more stuff

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=645533

http://secondhandcarsforsaleinuk.com/2011/05/10/for-sale-tax-exempt-berrien-sandrail-project-for-sale/

trust this may help...

Edited by FLUF

Still a VeeDub legit , somebody (he needs to notify DVLA of colour change to sand) junked the spine chassis for a "new replacement" space frame , the photographer should have fully de-plated LoL

DVLA Search on Registration number & manufacturer as VW..

-------

Services provided by DVLA:

Vehicle enquiry

The enquiry is complete.The vehicle details for KHM 367K are:

Date of Liability 01 08 2012

Date of First Registration 01 12 1971

Year of Manufacture 1971

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1285cc

CO2 Emissions Not Available

Fuel Type PETROL

Export Marker N

Vehicle Status Licence Not Due

Vehicle Colour GREEN

Vehicle Type Approval Not Available

Please be aware that if the vehicle has recently been relicensed or a SORN declared, these details may not yet be updated on the vehicle record.

If you think that the details on the vehicle record are incorrect please write to:VCSDVLASwanseaSA99 1BAPlease include the incorrect V5C Registration Certificate for amendment.

To make another enquiry go to Vehicle Enquiry

Finish

Edited by ruxy
spelin

it could be a UVA Fugitive, apparently they made long wheelbase 4 seater ones, and short wheelbase 2 seater ones. In the USA there was a similar vehicle made called a Chenowth, not sure of its engine though, have a feeling it had a Chevy V8 fitted,......:-\

It is not a UVA Fugitive or the original Chenworth, the basis of the Fugitive.

It appears to short/high for one of these.

There were numerous alternatives though

The best Fugitive was probably the low one with the mid mounted Rover V8.

Mike

It is not a UVA Fugitive or the original Chenworth, the basis of the Fugitive.

It appears to short/high for one of these.

There were numerous alternatives though

The best Fugitive was probably the low one with the mid mounted Rover V8.

Mike

Actually the dimensions are almost identical to a Chenowth! The length of this vehicle is about 13 feet, width 6 ft and ht 6 ft. Compare this to the chenowths dimensions which are length 13.3 ft, with 6.9 ft, and ht 6.9 ft http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=82

Also compare a pic of an original chenowth (first pic below to my vehicle 2nd pic). They appear uncannily similar! Though the pedal box (cnc) appears identical to the british wessex saker lsv. Hence am so confused about what this is.

a.jpg

3.jpg

it could be a UVA Fugitive, apparently they made long wheelbase 4 seater ones, and short wheelbase 2 seater ones. In the USA there was a similar vehicle made called a Chenowth, not sure of its engine though, have a feeling it had a Chevy V8 fitted,......:-\

Initially they had 2litre vw engines.

Actually the dimensions are almost identical to a Chenowth! The length of this vehicle is about 13 feet, width 6 ft and ht 6 ft. Compare this to the chenowths dimensions which are length 13.3 ft, with 6.9 ft, and ht 6.9 ft http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=82

Also compare a pic of an original chenowth (first pic below to my vehicle 2nd pic). They appear uncannily similar! Though the pedal box (cnc) appears identical to the british wessex saker lsv. Hence am so confused about what this is.

OK give you that one, I was thinking along the lines of the racing versions and not the mil ones.

Having trawled the net cannot find anything similar, going by the rear framing around engine to roll bar. The diagonals all seem to be straight at top.

Whatever it is it looks fum.

Is the motor a 1600 twinport?

Is there extended shok towers on the front torsion bar axle?

Initially they had 2litre vw engines.

The Fugitive was basically a VW Beetle (Type 1) based kit car so you ended up with whatever engine you had/fancied. Seen them with anytheing from 1200 upwards.

Mike

OK give you that one, I was thinking along the lines of the racing versions and not the mil ones.

Having trawled the net cannot find anything similar, going by the rear framing around engine to roll bar. The diagonals all seem to be straight at top.

Whatever it is it looks fum.

Is the motor a 1600 twinport?

Is there extended shok towers on the front torsion bar axle?

Mike

The motor I am certain is 1600cc going by the engine markings. I don't know what a twinport is but it has i think

2 ?dellores carbs.

About the extended shock towers, again i am unclear as I am not familiar with the same. Maybe the pics in myfirst post will help to ascertain this.

Thanks

The motor I am certain is 1600cc going by the engine markings. I don't know what a twinport is but it has i think

2 ?dellores carbs.

About the extended shock towers, again i am unclear as I am not familiar with the same. Maybe the pics in myfirst post will help to ascertain this.

Thanks

If it is a 1600 it will be twin port. Basicaly it means there are two inlet pots on heads. The cross tube on the manifold will have a seperate end which has 2 routes through.

As per these Across 2 - 4 down

http://jonnys-speedandcustom.co.uk/#/used-vw-parts/4541339140

VM engines are very hard to determine exactly what you have as bits are interchangeable. We once acquired a running motor from a Type 2 (Van) as spoares, PO reported it ran lumpy. We stripped it and it was a very rare 1450cc. 2 1300 pots and 2 1600 ones it ran. My 1600 ran with a snapped crank.

What size wheels and tyres are fitted. Extended towers will normally be above the tyre, but depends what you have fitted.

Mike

Tyres are Yokohoma ''Mud Diggers''

The shocks do extend over the tyres i think.

Cheers

I was thinking more of the wheel diameter and tire size.

Many fitted smaller diameter wheels, with big tyres, to maintain the rolling diameter, which can make the shock towers look higher.

Measuring shock length and comparing to stock is also no good. Being torsion bars all you need to do is remove the trail arms and refit a spline or 2 further round. Fronts OK rears harder to raise to to stop, but have seen these ground off.

Also used to lower. One or so splines was Ok but any more made hanling interesting.

Mike

Hi Mike

Wheel diameter is 16.5 inches

Tyre diameter is 30 inches, width 9.5 inches

Cheers

Going by that and the frontal picture it would appear that it is most likly stock. A lightvehicle rides a bit higher on torsion bars.

Drums on front? Disc conversion relatively easy using stok part

Notice it is running a dry sump system.

What is the carb?

Is it a vacuum distruibuter?

Mike

OK based on the K plate I am assuming it is registered as 71/72 and tax exempt so would guess it was once a Beetle and thus a kit car. But that is just my feelings

However somebody has invested in it., especially the motor.

The following being mods to a 72 engine.Ftom known engine mods I suspect that a few other bits may have been done aswell, but the motor would need polling to find out. Would leave well alone if running.

FYI visible mods are

Dry sump

Relocated air filter and replaced fan fousing.

Carb, distributer. alternator and "power" pully.

The "poer2 pully is the one on the end of the crank that drives the alternator and cooling fan, it is smaller than standard and as such you get less revolutions on the alternator/fam. so less load on motor. Is suposed to give a slight power increase. But has the effect of reducing electrical power (probably not an issue) and also cooling, was only an issue when stationary though, so be careful on the M25.

Mike

• 7 years later...