Falklands period Khukri and scabbard with 58 Pattern frog and DPM cover

43rdrecce

Would anyone care to offer an opinion on this khukri, frog and scabbard. I've had this item since 1983 and it looked knackered then so I guess pre Falklands in origin. To my untrained eye it looks like a non issue khukri with bogus military markings, witness the date having been scrubbed off with an electric pencil. This non issue item has then been by a serving soldier and made a 'genuine' service item!! I seem to recall these tourist repro khukris were easily obtained at that time, often marked with WW1 dates. I also seem to recall there was a bit of a craze post-Falklands for odd fighting knives and khukris, but as I mentioned above this one had some serious wear even in 1983.

Note the markings on the frog 'Baker HQ' and 'Baker 27'

The frog has been very well made, at unit level I would imagine given the eyelets and the green lace, but doesn't look well made enough to be an issue item. Anyone have an issue Ghurka frog?

I have a precedent of this fake becomes real stuff. During Op Granby I supplied some sets of repro WW2 combined ops patches to a friend of mine who was later seen on TV wearing them and several others too for that matter, he was a press handler (or should that be wrangler) So anything can happen. The unit level patches had yet to take off full at that time, so you get my point.

Anyways, opinions please. Anybody come across one before?

Cheers

Paul

DSC_7848_cr.jpg

DSC_7847_cr.jpg

DSC_7845_cr.jpg

DSC_78452_cr.jpg

Edited by 43rdrecce
another photo

This is only my opinion as a bayonet collector of many years. It does not look 'right' from the pics. Never seen the hand grip of a genuine khukri. The frog reminds me of a 'hand grip' from a 51mm mortor tube. My thoughts from pics. I may be totally wrong. Not 100% on the DPM of the scabbard but if 83' must be 68ptn?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I knew it wasn't 'right' in the sense of an original khukri as I pointed out in the original post. Almost definitely a repro, but it has been in that scabbard, covered in 'dot' shaded 68 pattern dpm since I bought it in Camden Passage around 1983 when there was sod all interest in anything dpm.

It may be a repro khukri in a home made frog, but still in its way 'genuine' ie it has apparently seen service use.

My question was really is the frog remotely resembling anything issue, Ghurka or otherwise, or was it user made. I'm not sure the word 'right' is the point,it is what it is, a bit of a curiosity.

Good suggestion on the 51mm mortar though, it does look as though its been converted from something and has seen a fair bit of use.

Cheers

Paul

Hi thier,Reference the Ghurka kit, dont be too disgruntled with the fact that the DPM sleeve looks home made etc, the regiment i served with had 2 Ghurka sqdns and it was common practice for them to have two or three that they used for various purposes. The cam sleeve was quite common as you just spoke to the clothing storman for a knackered jacket and cut the thing to bits for the material. It was either that or the green fabric tape wrapped round the scabbards.The issue khukri was not regarded very highly at all, certainly used as a cheap tool by the engineer guys, even reversing it to hammer nails into things if required. The guys also had in thier lockers a pucker fighting Khukri they would take on operations. These were much larger in length and had better wieght. You would not want to meet one! They were never ever used as tools and were reserved for the original use and intention.With regards to the cam, several of the brit guys including myself made DPM covers for the for grip and butt stock of our SLRS, complete with lacing eyelets etc from the equipment store. Regards Tim

A friend of mine in MODPLOD was staioned at Shorncliffe for a while when the Gurkha's were there. I asked when she got back had she enjoyed and she statred laughing, She told me yes she had enjoyed it, and the Gurkha's were so polite. They would come up to the main gate and say 'Hello Madam, Where Brothel?':D

This is only my opinion as a bayonet collector of many years. It does not look 'right' from the pics. Never seen the hand grip of a genuine khukri. The frog reminds me of a 'hand grip' from a 51mm mortor tube. My thoughts from pics. I may be totally wrong. Not 100% on the DPM of the scabbard but if 83' must be 68ptn?

Looking at the pics this has been made up , worked with Gurkhas and never saw a dpm Sheath, they were always leather

• 2 months later...

I have been waiting for a long time to comment on this thread. I hate to be thought of as some know it all ex pat living in the colonies spouting off on here.

I was of the belief that the DPM cover was legit but could not back it up.

Please watch this link, at a point after minute 4:52 when the poor unfortunate has an impromptu dismount and you will see DPM covers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_qmO8EONJw&feature=related

R

• 1 month later...
Looking at the pics this has been made up , worked with Gurkhas and never saw a dpm Sheath, they were always leather

Hi thier,

Just wombling thro the forum and saw your post, sorry for the delay in clarifying my comment. Re the scabbard being leather, yes you are correct as i have only seen the guys using the leather sheath in the field, the dpm material was wrapped and secured around the leather sheath.

The larger presentation Khukri,s are also found in very nicley done wooden scabbards. The craftsmen then inlay some very nice work into them.

Regards

Tim