My Welbike Restoration

MHillyard

Thanks for the tips!

Sounds like you have quite a collection

It will have to be a winter job to re-do the numbers but i do want to get them as accurate as i can.

Someone told me that some welbikes never had the caution transfers, is there any truth in this at all? I am not sure if it is true but they may well be right.

They also said the same about the excelsior logo on the handlebar stem.

Thanks

Just to add

The seat cover is now attached and another fuel leak cured, ready for War and Peace!

DSC05961.jpg

DSC05964.jpg

Edited by MHillyard

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martyn,

Look me up at Beltring, stall A1 and A2, in the white marquee, might take a Cushman with me.

MKII Welbikes certainly had all the transfers, original paint Welbikes don't lie! I will do some researching on MKI WB's

Welbike_Museum_Vierville_005.JPG

Cheers,

Lex

Martyn,

Look me up at Beltring, stall A1 and A2, in the white marquee, might take a Cushman with me.

MKII Welbikes certainly had all the transfers, original paint Welbikes don't lie! I will do some researching on MKI WB's

Welbike_Museum_Vierville_005.JPG

Cheers,

Lex

Will do that, i will be there from the saturday the week before onwards with the bike so i will look forward to meeting you

I also stripped the fuel tap, still remains of chrome but the fuel was eating the paint away, when the engine fails to start (spark problems) fuel comes out of the carb from the air filter and lands directly on the fuel tap. Also really want to get a brass air filter as the originals as the fuel strips the paint off that also. Any ideas where to get one?

DSC05904.jpg

DSC05905.jpg

Hi, there is a company now looking at reproducing the welbike. (www.welbikeuk.com). I believe that they also reproduce the brass air filter as per the original. Might be worth a check out! - Andy

Hi Andy

thanks for the advice, i did buy my wheels, forks, seat and some other parts off of them and i was aware that they made repro domes, unfortunately they are around £80 so i would rather wait for an original or similar one to turn up at a car boot or autojumble.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been meaning to update this thread for a while so here it goes.

War and Peace went well ran it several times, i have had problems with the bike not wanting to start and fuel starting to pour out of everywhere in the carb. At W&P i had the strip the carb and clean it out twice tue to this problem. I also got a fiel leak from the "fuel resistant hose" on the fuel line, i also found that i was losing pressure through the hose. A few cable ties are holding it for now.

When i got home from the show i replaced the carb bowl, the old bowl i was using was the original and had been chromed, i think that some of the plate had peeled inside and the bowl was starting to corode which may have been to blame for my carb problems. The bowl i am now using is from one of the spare carbs i have and is virtually identicle. I have had no problems sinse so hopefully i have cured the problem. Again with the hoses i have left them at the moment with the cable ties, after the show season i shall touch up the paint lost due to the leak and replace the hose with some spare and use hose clips or something so that it doesnt leak.

Damyns Hall was a great show, met a lot of interesting people and learnt a lot, had someone from the Natural History Museum interested in it and told us they were interested in the posiblility of doing a short time SOE display, aparently the SOE used some of their site there during the war, and took our details as they would want to have the bike there. i may have got some of the details wrong as i was not there at the time. Also managed to give it a good run, i was trying to find out if the carb was ok and that i was not losing pressure and that the tank pump was working as the leather washer went 2 days before the show and i had to quickly try to make one out of an old shoe which actually worked. I am losing pressure from somewhere, i think out of the hoses again but it just means i have to stop every 200 metres or so to re-pump and re-start but it starts fine noe just as long as the grass is not too wet, then it gets dificult!

I was very pleased with John Blackmans picture and comment in Classic Military Vehicle form Bunker Bash commenting that it was his favourite vehicle at the show. I had a lot of people at Damyns asking if it was me on there, was quite surprised how many people recognised it.

Again to War and Peace i got speaking to lots of interesting people including Lex here and another person who i may be able to source a mud guard from! Talking of mud i managed to get most of it off from W&P but it was coated.

Also went to some small shows with a good reception for the bike the next is St Osyth Museum open day on the 19th

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Giving the Welbike a well earned going over. Stripping right back down to bare metal and etch priming and will finalize with some Service Brown. Also gives me an excuse to add details such as a more accurate tank number and the black behind the transfers.

DSC_1192.JPG

DSC_1112.JPG

DSC_1113.jpg

DSC_1114.JPG

• 5 months later...