My Welbike Restoration

MHillyard

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both last saturday and today i have been spray painting, often haiving to cover the bits quickly after there was a short bit of rain and then continuing. Taking a long time but will be worth it. Hopefully tommorow will be a nicer day and i can get a good lot done.

Have been at it again today, hopefully this will be the last of the spraying but will only be able to tell once the part have dried. Had to dodge the weather again occasionally by covering them up until it stopped raining and then resuming after the rain stopped. Sprayed the engine and other smaller parts aswel. It was all done in the correct Service Brown colour that is correct for my contract.

The parts look great now they are all painted up and am starting to look forward to getting it running. Now the painting is out of the way there is not a lot to do so it should be ready for Bunker Bash next month.

DSC05279.jpg

DSC05282.jpg

DSC05283.jpg

DSC05284.jpg

DSC05285.jpg

DSC05299.jpg

DSC05300.jpg

DSC05302.jpg

DSC05305.jpg

DSC05310.jpg

DSC05314.jpg

A useless bit of additional information, the rear brake that was supplied to me from Welbike UK i believe is original instead of being new which is a nice addition, you can see the marking on the brake arm, before painting you could also see that the brake looked sandblasted rather than just cut.

Probably the only place you can get original welbike parts

DSC04901-1.jpg

DSC04902.jpg

Been at it again this weekend and bank holiday. Tyres are now on (after much dificulty and scratched paint) Fuel line on with hose. Wheels all in place, brake connected. New tank cap and made up some tank bolts.

Almost finished. Before attempting to start i just need to secure the brake bracket.

Also at some point i will do tank numbers, tank transfers, touch up paint and will have to mock up some handlebar grips unless i can find some.

DSC05377.jpg

DSC05380.jpg

DSC05378.jpg

DSC05379.jpg

Nearly There

Have been touching up the paint where it has been scratched on nuts, bolts and wheels etc.

Secured the brake leaver bracket and have connected up the brake which seems to be working fine.

Just need to get round to trying to start it.

Then all there is to do is: tank Stenciling, tank transfers, secure seat cover and finish touching up paint

Just finishing off the touch ups.

One thing i forgot to mention that was completed a few weeks ago was the repair of the brake pedal. It had holes drilled in it, we filled the up with solder, added filler and rubbed down. It was then primed and painted.

DSC05381.jpg

Before:

DSC03101.jpg

After:

DSC05383.jpg

1st attempt at starting commenced today. No luck was gained by attemting to start by pushing appart from a very painful cramp in my right leg.

A few problems: Small crack in the solder under the fuel tap, throttle adjustment (on carb) snapped. Fotunately both problems can be fixed. I have my original fittings from the old cables which i shall use to replace the broken fitting.

We managed to start it using a drill and socket on the drive nut to the rear wheel. A lot of carb adjustments took place until it finally did start. Only problem was it started and the throttle open to far and due to the broken fitting the cable would not return far enough to calm it down, also to start it the clutch had to be disconnected so we were unable to stop it. Turned off the fuel tap and had to wait for the remaining fuel to be used up. A very frantic minute there.

So hopefully tomorrow a lot of these problems shall be solved. need to touch up a lot of pain there the fuel has eaten away at it but nothing really bad went wrong and we are still willing to carry on tomorrow.

test4.jpg

On Sunday we had success, after a few adjustments she ran. Managed to get a good ride on it, i was both learning to ride a motorbike and make adjustments at the same time ( took a while to get used to :D).

The throttle had a tendancy to stick at the moment meaning it sticks on a horribly high rev and of course unable to stop the bike because the is no ignition, had to turn the fuel tap off and wait a few minutes for it to run out of fuel! Will probably have to clean the carb out. A few loose bolts and exaust gasket leaks. Other than that she ran great and am looking forward to the next ride.

I am very happy with the result and it certainly made my day

Will be bringing it to the bunker bash but may not be able to run it unless i can sort out the throttle.

Here is a video of the run:

Will add a few pics later

I appologise for causing any temptations:-D They are great little bikes.

I think i have now sorted the throttle problem, and a few other problems.

Had a ride on it today and performed great! All ready for Bunker Bash!

• 3 weeks later...
Spent this afternoon making a display board for the bike. Will probably change the text at some point but im pretty pleased with it.

DSC05894.jpg

Very nice, always good to have a bit of information about the vehicle you are displaying so that visitors can read about what it is.

Tank transfers now on, not 100% happy with them, they look very computer generated when the orginals were very rough as if writen, they seem a bit perfect. But they are on and look pretty good.

Also touched up paint that was chipped at previous shows. I have found that the spark plug i got with the welbike when i bought it works better than the new one i bought for it last year so i am using that. I am getting a lot of problems with the spark, it often fails to start. I think it may be that the mixture is too oily but it runs and i dont want to spoil it in the middle of show season especially so near to war and peace.

I have ordered new handlebar grips which i hope will arive soon, after that just need to fit seat cover.

Over the transfers i was going to use some clear varnish so they dont wash away in the rain or when washing. Is that the best option or is there something better?

I also stripped the fuel tap, still remains of chrome but the fuel was eating the paint away, when the engine fails to start (spark problems) fuel comes out of the carb from the air filter and lands directly on the fuel tap. Also really want to get a brass air filter as the originals as the fuel strips the paint off that also. Any ideas where to get one?

DSC05904.jpg

DSC05905.jpg

Edited by MHillyard

Appeared in the VMARS newsletter with a picture of the bike at Bunker Bash and yesterdays Colchester Gazette had a picture of me with the bike at Manningtree Car Show. (not the best of pictures)

Spent this morning fitting the new handlebar grips, dificult task but they look good.

DSC05921.jpg

DSC05950.jpg

DSC05951.jpg

Edited by MHillyard

Hi Martyn,

Nice Welbike, and you did well getting rid of the mod's!

Some notes on the markings, the little caution transfers on the tanks were never white only, they had a black background, all the original paint Welbikes I owned and still own, have them, one day I'll reproduce them!

Then the Census number, on the 3rd contract, all the WB's had the last two digits from the frame number as the C number, so yours should end on a 6 too.

Too bad the tanks were overpainted, otherwise you might have known the complete framenumber.

Incidently one of my WB's frame numbers is 3059, and that has C5153859 on the tank (original paint and the numbers are actually transfers, another thing to make!)

Your C number is something like this:C51538?6

Also your frame number is a little high, when comparing to others in my database, mine is 3292, they certainly never match, but vary from 50 to 300 digits.

The War Office tried hard to get all manufacturers to end the Census numbers last two digits to match with the last two frame numbers, and to match engine and frame numbers, but Excelsior only partly complied with that! but that was certainly not the only manufacturer to do so.

IMG_5857.JPG

Welbike_Museum_Vierville_001.JPG

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Lex Schmidt, Holland

ps, Strange to see myself as an aftar all the time!

Edited by welbike