British WW2 10 cwt GS Trailer

Thanks Simon, that gives me hope! I have now managed to loosen the rest of the wheel nuts except for one that is still resiting all efforts. Strangely some of the nuts are smaller than the rest?? Was this the same on yours?

Do you have a contact number for the machine shop you used? Unfortunately South London isn't awash with them! I could always post stuff to them etc.

One other question, the long brake linkage rods on your trailer, are they round section steel? Mine are so rusted I can't tell!

Thanks again for the help!

Sean.

There are a couple of places, one in Dartford, that's on another thread somewhere, and Seal Enginnering near Sevenoaks. Not that far.

Another thought. Land Rover have replacabale studs, and you can get the nuts to go on them. http://www.pegasusparts.co.uk/ourshop_90073/prod_1232814-561590-Stud-for-Road-Wheel-Nuts-916quot-BSF-Peen-type.html

or these

http://www.pegasusparts.co.uk/ourshop_90073/prod_1232817-561886-Stud-for-Road-Wheel-Nuts-916quot-BSF-Pullin-type.html

Edited by Tony B

Thats great info Tony thankyou, just looked at the website, looks like it will do the job. I wonder if someone has already done this on the hubs and thats resulted in the different nut sizes on mine?

Cheers

Sean

The studs are not like that - they have two lips on either side that fit into a recess around the circumference of the hub. The whole is then locked in place by the drum . In addition to the 6 holes for the studs, there are the two tapped holes for the countersunk screws that hold the drum to the hub. You can see all this on the attached photo.

IMG_1887.jpg

The pull rods are/were circular section rod

sk

Edited by simon king
added photo

Ok see that now, still haven't got the hubs apart, so assumed the landy studs would be ok, doh!!!. Looks like I will need the stud and nut making up as you suggested, if you have a contact number for the place that did yours I would appreciate it if you pass it on.

Cheers,

Sean

Ok see that now, still haven't got the hubs apart, so assumed the landy studs would be ok, doh!!!. Looks like I will need the stud and nut making up as you suggested, if you have a contact number for the place that did yours I would appreciate it if you pass it on.

Cheers,

Sean

There must be someone nearer who can do the job for you - the firm that did the wheel nuts for me had plenty of work on meaning that little jobs like mine always get pushed to the back of the queue. I'm finding this with the making of suspension shackle pins and other turned parts by the firm as well with the making up of replacement raves and replacement "girder and tube" type pintles by another firm. They say there's a recession on but these small companies seem pushed out with work.

At the moment there's no hurry - but...........

The only alternative seems to be to get a large number made up - but can't imagine the demand is there to say have 100 studs or so made up

Both of these firms are within half a mile of me in a small market town in the East Midlands so there must be plenty of similar small companies within a short distance of yourself - it's just a question of searching the internet and directories to find them. I've actually enjoyed this part of restoring the trailer - so different from picking up the phone to a jeep supplier and getting the part tomorrow.

sk

[quote=simon king;374051.........with the making of suspension shackle pins and other turned parts by the firm as well with the making up of replacement raves and replacement "girder and tube" type pintles by another firm....

sk

It might be worth asking if anyone else could use some of these parts before finalising the order. most of these trailers were well used in civilian life to say the least.

David.

Yes, I think I probably will find somewhere , but probably not too local. South London doesn't have much left in small engineering shops in comparison to the Midlands, which is still renowned for its engineering industry. We here in Lewisham on the other hand, are now recognised as an international centre for crippled chicken fast food stores and drive by shootings. If you were to ask a local about getting your nuts threaded round here, you may well end up in casualty!

It may take a little longer to search out, but will carry on, as you say its all part of the fun!

Cheers,

Sean

It might be worth asking if anyone else could use some of these parts before finalising the order. most of these trailers were well used in civilian life to say the least.

David.

Thought about that David - thought I'd wait to see quality and accuracy of any items before putting my name to them and offering them to others though.

There certainly doesn't seem to be a one stop shop for these 10cwt trailers - although is there really the demand out there? - and what would people actually want and or buy?

Pintle parts - first type?

handbrake handle, swivel and crossbar

handbrake springs?

Wheel nuts?

wheel studs?

oil seals?

kits to covert hubs/axles to more readily available internal lip type oil seals

brake pads - new for old

brake cylinder rubber boots?

brake cylinders - the rod operated one and the other one?

support legs?

handles on the neck?

bracket mounts for handles on the neck?

pins for handles?

pins for support legs?

replacement raves?

spring shackle bolts?

spring bushes?

replica trailer plates?

axle floodlight plate on axle?

wooden tool box kit of parts?

woodwork kit of parts?

reasonably priced tyres?

frame repair sections?

nut and bolt sets?

carriage bolt sets?

axle u-bolts?

wheel bearings large and small?

My own trailer needed/needs most of the above......

sk

Edited by simon king

Yes, I think I probably will find somewhere , but probably not too local. South London doesn't have much left in small engineering shops in comparison to the Midlands, which is still renowned for its engineering industry. We here in Lewisham on the other hand, are now recognised as an international centre for crippled chicken fast food stores and drive by shootings. If you were to ask a local about getting your nuts threaded round here, you may well end up in casualty!

It may take a little longer to search out, but will carry on, as you say its all part of the fun!

Cheers,

Sean

Hi Sean David and All

I know of a small company who has made several pins and studs for airborne trailers. They specalise on refurbing shockers and stock Andre Hartford parts and complete units.

they are:-

Vintage & Classic Shockabsorbers

203 Sanderstead Road

South Croydon

Surrey

CR2 0PN

0208 651 5347

I hope this is South London enough for you,

Regards

Artifficer

mortar trailer 198613.jpgAt long last I have been able to process the negatives of my mortar trailer as when I got it in may 1986. As you can see (compared with my previous photos of my first attempt at restoration) the woodwork appears to differ somewhat from the illustrations in the manuals. The major difference is the uneven sizing of the floor panels and the strakes around the top. The tow hitch still remains a mystery and does not compare at all with any modern Bradley hitch ( as suggested previously). The lifting handles are definitely original. Over to you for further observations

mortar trailer 1986.jpg

mortar trailer 19862.jpg

mortar trailer 19863.jpg

mortar trailer 19864.jpg

mortar trailer 19865.jpg

mortar trailer 19866.jpg

mortar trailer 19867.jpg

mortar trailer 19868.jpg

mortar trailer 19869.jpg

mortar trailer 198610.jpg

mortar trailer 198611.jpg

mortar trailer 198612.jpg

mortar trailer 198614.jpg

mortar trailer 198615.jpg

mortar trailer 198616.jpg

Very interesting photos Tony. Was the woodwork tongue and grooved on the sides and floor,and how was the flooring fixed to the chassis? Mine has half round steel rods running along the joints that then are bolted through onto the chassis. My floor boards seem a lot wider too, but still odd widths.

Sean.

PS I have also just discovered my wheels are mis-matched, so I need a 600-16 wheel if anyone has one they don't need!

Also could anyone tell me if the Avon Traction tyres as seen on series Landrovers were around during the war?

HI

With reference to post number 142 having looked though a Data book 1945 which lists all types of tyres fitted to british

and common wealth wheeled vehicles and equipment and looked at all the pictures of tread patterns I am sorry to say

there is not atread pattern anything like a AVON TRACTION tyre as you would find on a series Landrover

REGARDS WALLY

• 2 weeks later...

HI SIMON

I have just looked at volume Vll of my design record candian Developed Military vehicles WW2 titled TRAILERS

There appears to be a few small differences between the British and Canadian 10 cwt two wheeled trailers These volumes were issued by ARMY ENGINEERING DESIGN BRANCH

DEPARTMENT OF MUNTIONS AND SUPPLY OTTAWA CANADA eight titles on all CMP WARTIME EQUIPMENT PRODUCES

up to1945

REGARDS WALLY

HI SIMON

I have just looked at volume Vll of my design record candian Developed Military vehicles WW2 titled TRAILERS

There appears to be a few small differences between the British and Canadian 10 cwt two wheeled trailers These volumes were issued by ARMY ENGINEERING DESIGN BRANCH

DEPARTMENT OF MUNTIONS AND SUPPLY OTTAWA CANADA eight titles on all CMP WARTIME EQUIPMENT PRODUCES

up to1945

REGARDS WALLY

Thanks Wally-are there any pictures of these Canadian 10cwt trailers around?

sk

HI SIMON

In the book I mentioned there is a plan of the chassis layout and all the tec details in all I have eleven volumes on

every thing Canadian manufactured during the second world war found them in a skip after a clear out of offices at a

MOD site I will have a look through them all to see if there are any pictures of the trailer other than the chassis lay out

if you want any copies we will have to see how to get them to you as this computer and I do not get on

REGARDS WALLY

HI SIMON

I have found pictures of the 10 cwt trailers made by the canadians in ww2 there seems to be two types of bodies

one constructed of wood and one of metal there are three pictures of each type with text on function dimensions

weights references and discription of body

REGARDS WALLY