British WW2 10 cwt GS Trailer

Hi Maurice,

It is interesting to see that your trailer has the lifting handles mounted on the chassis with the early barrel hitch, just like my Mortar trailer. This is also an SS cars product so maybe this was their 'style'. Nearly all other GS and Mortar trailers that I have seen have had the later integral hitch with folding handles mounted on top of the chassis.

Don't forget that at W&P you promised me more photos on your R/D office trailer.

Tony

I'm designing a CAD model of the 10 CWT 2 wheel MkI or No.1 trailer and I'm puzzled by the dimensions given in the Data Book of Army Transport. It quotes 3'9" (top of raves). When I use this the trailer seems too short. Could someone please provide me with the overall height of the trailer, to the top of the top rail?

The Canadian trailers seem to be 48.5" high, but can't use that as a basis for the UK model.

Hi Maurice,

It is interesting to see that your trailer has the lifting handles mounted on the chassis with the early barrel hitch, just like my Mortar trailer. This is also an SS cars product so maybe this was their 'style'. Nearly all other GS and Mortar trailers that I have seen have had the later integral hitch with folding handles mounted on top of the chassis.

Don't forget that at W&P you promised me more photos on your R/D office trailer.

Tony

Oh dear, I had a senior moment...my Mortar trailer was built by Orme Evans and my Lightweight GS was built by SS Cars. The theory still applies as my Lightweight trailer also has the barrel hitch and lifting handles welded onto the chassis but that means my Mortar trailer is still unusual having those features. Time for hibernation now!!!!!!

According to the Chilwell list, SS Cars only received one contract for 10cwt 2 wheeled GS trailers. They received at least two others for the lightweight/airborne trailers.

Contract 23S2490

Census Numbers X5391001 to X5392640

1640 units

I have found pictures of two original data plates correlating census number to chassis number for trailers from this batch

chassis no 1500 (SS/GS/1500) Census number = X5392500

chassis no 0648 (SS/GS/0648) census number = X539?648 (presumably X5391648 on basis of census number block above)

Note correlation of last 3 in census number and chassis number

so the first three of the census no are "539" and the last 3 are likely to be "072" and the middle digit can only be either 1 or 2

Edited by simon king

That is a SS Cars built example according to the census number.

Interesting that most of the trucks are a single colour (possibly SCC2) with no disruptive pattern - unless the paintwork is covered with a thick layer of dust. The third 15cwt in on the LHS is an MWR I think as it has the vertically split rear canvas curtain to take account of the spare wheel carrier on the tailgate.

Perhaps I might be able to do a "then and now" with that picture one day.

Nice picture of a GS trailer, my favourite type.

Possibly a signals unit.

The truck and trailer are definitely Signals, having the white over blue tac sign. The truck has racked telegraph poles and a ladder plus one of the large Apparatus Cable Laying visible behind the tailboard. Definitely a Line section. :-D

Chris.

Thank you Simon.

The "?" dimension is the distance between the two cross members.

its cold and I'm old, so im not scrabbling around on a cold concrete floor - sorry

centre to centre, measured from the carriage bolts holding the floor planks is 10"

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/13/2016 at 2:07 PM, P.Schipper said:

I've just read all 38 pages of this thread. Wow. Lots of information and some fantastic trailers. I am now restoring my new GS, after the shipping company had a go at it. Is there a consensus on the location of the convoy light switch? I don't see any bolt holes or brackets or signs thereof. I have some spare brackets as used on lightweight trailers but don't see any mounting points?

i believe this is a Reynolds Trailer(?) can anyone shed any light or have any further information ?

image.jpg

Hi All,

I've just added a Reliance Trailer dataplate to my collection.

I've tried to find details of them, but only found Reliance Trailer in the US.  Is it possible that this is Reliant Trailer of three wheel Robin fame?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliant

They are noted on Wiki as " The Second World War saw Reliant machining parts for the war effort."

Best Regards,

Adrian

5a73656f6a19b_10cwtMk201A.thumb.jpg.55fc447cf2e34332cdb58bed568676f2.jpg

Edited by Le Prof
Misreading

3 hours ago, Le Prof said:

Hi All,

I've just added a Reliance Trailer dataplate to my collection.

I've tried to find details of them, but only found Reliance Trailer in the US.  Is it possible that this is Reliant Trailer of three wheel Robin fame?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliant

They are noted on Wiki as " The Second World War saw Reliant machining parts for the war effort."

Best Regards,

Adrian

5a73656f6a19b_10cwtMk201A.thumb.jpg.55fc447cf2e34332cdb58bed568676f2.jpg

This plate is for  a Reliance, according to the contract number, it is British made and would doubt it was anything to do with Reliant. There was a company called Reliance in Yorkshire making factory trucks and highly likely this is them, hence RT Ltd could be Reliance Trucks. Have a look at this link as a family member of the company owners had posted on a website saying they had the firm's history, there is an email address so worth a punt to see if they have any info on wartime production.

Definitely not USA built due to the contract number.

http://www.ltsv.com/sv2/forum_post_view.php?post=389&offset=0

• 9 months later...