.50 cal Quad (Blazing Thunder)

Pretty awesome stuff....they must have been absolutely incredible to use..........especially in the ground fire role....murderous fire power...you could chop a forest down with one of them I reckon!

showing my ignorance but..

...what sort of range would a quad .50 have been 'zeroed in' at ?...(if zeroed at all that is !)

Dear Rob

Listen to me carefully

If i could fix our dna issues and i moved a little closer to you Could i play with that Quad mount as well ......Now i know what other bit of kit i want .

Pete

Pete,don't worry about the DNA I've got green blood ! give me a shout if you are up this way and I will put the kettle on.

I have been meaning to get the Quad Polsten out to take a film of that moving but its surrounded in a ton of other green crap so it will be on my list of jobs to do ! :undecided:

Rob......................rnixartillery.

I can't wait to get the quad 50s up & running on my M16 halftrack,i believe there very difficult to restore back to running condition !!

Stuart,these gun mounts are very basic and simple to work on so "Don't panic".I restored another quad mount for an M16 half track a few years ago,the motor that drives the four belts is bolted to a cast plate underneath the turret.

This particular plate had been dropped and broke into eight pieces,it took a week on and off to weld it back together a couple of inches at a time. :nut:

When it was all assembled it work very well !

Rob.........rnixartillery.

Hi Ivor,nice wartime pic. My vehicle will represent Battery D, 633rd AAA D2.In honour of Don an American ww2 vet.These marking's will represent his own M16.All being well Rob Elvington 2012 will be it's first outing.I'm looking for a manual for the Quad turret in aid of it's restoration if anyone can help.

Cheer's Stu

Stu,the manuals are available as reprints,below is the last halftrack that I restored which I sold to Marcus Glenn.

When I painted it I finished it in free polish forces livery which carried British markings as they fought along side British units throughout the war.

Rob......................rnixartillery.

Picture 425.jpg

Picture 426.jpg

• 1 year later...