S26 scammell & DAF Drops

Not sure if you know but the brackets between the ramps and rear lifting eyes are for the rear feet of the ballast box. There are no signs of the holes for the mudguard poles which many of these had even though most of the in service photos show them running as artic tractors.

Top marks to your paint guy for not blathering paint all over the tyres!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if you know but the brackets between the ramps and rear lifting eyes are for the rear feet of the ballast box. There are no signs of the holes for the mudguard poles which many of these had even though most of the in service photos show them running as artic tractors.

Top marks to your paint guy for not blathering paint all over the tyres!

We took the wheels off Mike !

love that S26 tractor unit...could we replace the rear wheels on the DROPS for 22.5 wheels, twins or super singles...would this make her run closer to her sweet spot....

I find the chore of driving her at 45 mph a pain, and 52..is on the limiter on mine...if she would run up to even 55 at the same revs as she does 45 it would be marvellous...

love that S26 tractor unit...could we replace the rear wheels on the DROPS for 22.5 wheels, twins or super singles...would this make her run closer to her sweet spot....

I find the chore of driving her at 45 mph a pain, and 52..is on the limiter on mine...if she would run up to even 55 at the same revs as she does 45 it would be marvellous...

Paul, you need to have a read through this thread completely there is lots of info / suggestions on upping wheel and tyre sizes on drops.

yes read through and am not sure what fits and what doesn't...may have to try some wheels off the foden and see if they improve things...would make life a whole lot easier with std wheels on the rear...and if they helped to gear he a bit lower that would be a treat too...

Paul, you would have to change all the wheels over as just changing the rears would also wind up the transfer box etc.. then your center of gravity will change quite a bit! what they really need is an over drive unit.

• 1 month later...

Have now sorted out 99% of my electrical problems......wired the batteries the correct way round..... also replaced the alternator which had blown as a consequence of the reverse polarity !

Did not notice at first as the truck started no problem, lights worked, indicators operated but did not flash, dash was dead so did not see the fact it was no longer charging, only when I got the test meter out did I find it. A friend had wired the batteries an a new battery isolator for me in the rush to get it moved from the storage facility which was shortly due to close.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know how the key switch controlled ( can't call it ignition switch as it's a Diesel ) fuel shut off works on the RAF S26 tractor ? Having a few issues with mine not turning off, then it suddenly turned off on its own whilst driving...not ideal ! Its all tucked away behind the left chassis rail, should there be a spring attached anywhere, had a quick look in limited light but need to inspect properly.

Funny that i have just had a similar problem with my daf drops... found out that the manual electric over ride button on right side of steering column has gone wrong..or something in that circuit? because when i switch off the ignition the engine keeps running until i press the red over ride cut off switch next to the battery cut off switch!? any guess what may be wrong with this unit or something else?

I only have the civilian manual and that mentions a 'stop control cylinder' which bolts to the pump on the later Perkins built engines which includes the DROPS but not the RAF ones. It is controlled by a normally open electro pneumatic switch fitted behind the instrument panel and uses air pressure to operate the stop lever, switching the key switch on closes the air supply to the stop lever.

my drops seems to have fixed its switch off valve all on its own :-)

Be careful mine just turned the fuel off all on its own, bit un-nerving even when only doing 30 mph ! STEERING GOES VERY HEAVY.

• 2 weeks later...

That was a new bonnet design that had started to creep in whilst I was serving at my last unit, it was only used if the bonnet had been damaged and was not able to be repaired, it is only pressed steel and I believe it was only about 4 bolts that hold it on.

Any external armour on Drops was large bags of protective material that was held on the cab with nuts and bolts, internally they had ballistic plates on the floor and around the seat.

The steel pressed bonnet mod was approved and available as a kit through the supply chain and was used in UK/Germany bases as a replacement and fitted by REME, by the time this mod was out the fleet of vehicles used on operations had mainly converted to the new MAN family. I believe it came about as this was an easier and quick part to replace and remove where required.

Armour modifications where I believe fitted by the REME and came as a kit.