S26 scammell & DAF Drops

Where is the one you did now Mike ?

It went back to work transporting a Sherman tank before I fitted the diffs. In all honesty it wasn't one of the best as I bought it blind from one of Witham's tenders for what at the time was a very good price.

The bearings in the diffs were in a very poor state although the refueler had only covered 49k kms but I put this down to the type of use it would have had, short runs with no chance for the lubricant to warm up and get rid of any moisture. I had them rebuilt by Smiths at Albrighton with 11 brand new bearings and they ended up in Mike Lawrence's S26.

http://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p85578901/h157a7f25#h157a7f25

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When switching on the ignition on my RAF S26 Tractor unit the brake lights come on and stay on both without air in the system and when it is fully charged. Can anybody advise where the switch is located ?

If you have a Clayton DB3 footbrake valve the switch is on top of the brake pedal close to the pivot, if it is a Bendix valve then it is underneath the pedal.

FYI the brake pressure sensors for the gauges are all in a block behind the glovebox and all the gauge units are identical with the exception of the voltage meter.

We all know what you mean but diesels don't have an ignition switch:cool2:

Edited by radiomike7

If you have a Clayton DB3 footbrake valve the switch is on top of the brake pedal close to the pivot, if it is a Bendix valve then it is underneath the pedal.

FYI the brake pressure sensors for the gauges are all in a block behind the glovebox and all the gauge units are identical with the exception of the voltage meter.

We all know what you mean but diesels don't have an ignition switch:cool2:

Thanks Mike will check it out on Sunday when next working on it, on another note do you know where the flasher unit is located, when testing the indicators last Sunday all the lamps are working but not flashing, oh and do they have hazard warning switch ? Spent a few seconds looking for it but was running out of time so did not persevere.

Funny thing about "ignition" on diesels, I work for JCB Technical Training part of the time and often say "on turning on the ignition" you should see this... or that... no one ever questions it but you are quite right.

John the flasher is below the fuses in the center of the dash. The hazard switch is above your head next to the radio.

The gauge for number one air tank on mine goes to full as soon as you turn on the switch formerly known as the ignition I have had a look at the pressure switches behind the glove box but which one does number one air tank?

John, the flasher unit is a 5 terminal Hella unit 4DM 003 474 01, from memory the 01 simply means it has a bracket. If you have an early component board with a row of ceramic fuses along the top the flasher unit is the bottom right component, if you have the later board the flasher is screwed to the board again bottom right just underneath the intermittent wipe unit.

The hazard switch is up by the radio position as has been mentioned, it is actually a Triumph TR7 component and quite hard to source. It suffers from contact corrosion but can be carefully dismantled and cleaned, it is no 1 suspect if the indicators fail to light as it provides a switched feed to the stalk.

Bawtrylwt, the transducer for no 1 tank can be in one of two places. On early models with 10 components on the block it is the top right component, on later models with 9 components and a blank at top left it is the second one down on the right hand side. In both cases the transducer is a larger component than the smaller pressure switches that surround it.

Edited by radiomike7

John, the flasher unit is a 5 terminal Hella unit 4DM 003 474 01, from memory the 01 simply means it has a bracket. If you have an early component board with a row of ceramic fuses along the top the flasher unit is the bottom right component, if you have the later board the flasher is screwed to the board again bottom right just underneath the intermittent wipe unit.

The hazard switch is up by the radio position as has been mentioned, it is actually a Triumph TR7 component and quite hard to source. It suffers from contact corrosion but can be carefully dismantled and cleaned, it is no 1 suspect if the indicators fail to light as it provides a switched feed to the stalk.

Bawtrylwt, the transducer for no 1 tank can be in one of two places. On early models it is the top right component, on later models it is the second one down on the right hand side. In both cases the transducer is a larger component than the smaller pressure switches that surround it.

Thanks Mike,

Will keep you posted on how I get on with it on Sunday.

John.

Hi so on mine it is the top right component

Correct, here is the full list:

----------switch, gauge 1 *** transducer, gauge 1

switch, park brake warning *** switch, park brake lights

----------switch, gauge 2 *** transducer, gauge 2

------transducer, gauge 3 *** switch, gauge 3

----------switch, gauge 4 *** transducer, gauge 4

Try swapping the gauge 1 transducer wiring with gauge 2 transducer to prove the fault lies with gauge or transducer.

Edited by radiomike7

Swapped it over today gauge still goes straight to full so it must be a faulty gauge

The air gauges get a negative signal via a variable resistor in the transducers, one last check would be to make sure the cable has not shorted to earth. All the air gauge sender cables are green/light green but the one you need to check is on pin 7 of the 18 way connector on the rear of the instrument panel.

Both connections off switch and brake lights still on ! Is there a brake light relay somewhere that may be stuck ?

Found the flasher unit but no time to pull it out as trim has to be removed.

Hazard switch is present and correct, just did not see it, all indicators operate but obviously don't flash.

20140303_183413.jpg

Both connections off switch and brake lights still on ! Is there a brake light relay somewhere that may be stuck ?

Found the flasher unit but no time to pull it out as trim has to be removed.

Hazard switch is present and correct, just did not see it, all indicators operate but obviously don't flash.

Go back to posts 34/35 , identify the 'switch park brake lights' and disconnect it. As far as I can see from the circuit diagram there is no relay in the stop lamp circuit.

Up to the 1980s trucks used to show brake lights whenever the handbrake was applied and the keyswitch was on, the later 9 component block does away with that feature.

Edited by radiomike7

Go back to posts 34/35 , identify the 'switch park brake lights' and disconnect it. As far as I can see from the circuit diagram there is no relay in the stop lamp circuit.

Up to the 1980s trucks used to show brake lights whenever the handbrake was applied and the keyswitch was on, the later 9 component block does away with that feature.

Thanks Mike,

I missed that, so they have an air pressure switch and a mechanical switch on the pedal ?

Thanks Mike,

I missed that, so they have an air pressure switch and a mechanical switch on the pedal ?

Yes, pedal switch for service brakes, air pressure switch for when the parking brake is applied. If you look at my diagram the air pressure switch is in the same line as the dash park brake warning lamp switch.

Edited by radiomike7

Yes, pedal switch for service brakes, air pressure switch for when the parking brake is applied. If you look at my diagram the air pressure switch is in the same line as the dash park brake warning lamp switch.

Great, pulled a connector off the air pressure switch tonight and the brake lights went out.

Brought the S26 back to my local sandblaster this weekend so had a 20 mile run around the M60. A bit disappointing on the top speed front.... 52/3 mph flat out on the tomtom sat nav, mates Discovery clocked me at 59 mph. It is running on brand new 12.00 x 20 tyres.

The Rolls will happily sit on the limiter all day making a huge racket but it will burn fuel like there is no tomorrow. Ideally you want to cruise at about 1500rpm and be at the point of maximum torque.

With the standard gearing (6.39:1 axles, 12.2:1 first gear) the RAF ones are rated at 65 tons but in civvy street the same combination is rated at 100 tons.

Try ebay member 'scammell305' for SOMA diffs, he is breaking some RAF refuelers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEYLAND-ROADTRAIN-LOW-DATUM-CABS-AND-SPARES-/181326488142?pt=UK_Commercial_Trucks&hash=item2a37e6a24e

Edited by radiomike7

• 2 weeks later...
The Rolls will happily sit on the limiter all day making a huge racket but it will burn fuel like there is no tomorrow. Ideally you want to cruise at about 1500rpm and be at the point of maximum torque.

With the standard gearing (6.39:1 axles, 12.2:1 first gear) the RAF ones are rated at 65 tons but in civvy street the same combination is rated at 100 tons.

Try ebay member 'scammell305' for SOMA diffs, he is breaking some RAF refuelers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEYLAND-ROADTRAIN-LOW-DATUM-CABS-AND-SPARES-/181326488142?pt=UK_Commercial_Trucks&hash=item2a37e6a24e

Had a chat with them today, they do not have any Soma axles, however they do have a home built S26 wrecker made from an Ex-RAF tractor unit. They found the original Soma axles too slow so installed a complete Rockwell rear bogie from a S26 RAF tractor they broke up, they say that it does over 70mph flat out but cruises at around 1200 rpm / 50mph.

They say that the bogie just rolled under the chassis complete and all bolt holes lined up.

They have for sale 2 more S26 tanker Rockwell rear bogies. My sandblaster has just confirmed the whole of the rear end of my truck has been blasted, primed, undercoated and topcoated ! Excelent timing...not.

If you find one please let me know, I would like a copy too.

I have never come across one but they must be out there somewhere. Don't forget the T45 Roadtrain book will provide a large number of relevant parts, it is mainly the gearbox and rear bogie that are heavier duty. The info I provided recently for the gauge senders was all from a T45 manual.