Bren Gun magazine part no. 1005-99-961-8393

11th Armoured

If anyone knows, they'll know here:

http://www.milsurps.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136

Cheers for that - looks like an interesting site, I'll have to see about enrolling at some point.

I'm pretty sure that 1005-99-961-8393 is the NSN given to Australian refurbed .303 magazines. definatly not L4A1 mags as these are 1005-99-960-0089.

That's very helpful Chris - I'm pretty sure they are .303, but I've only seen a pic of them in their wrappers thus far & it's a bit hard to be absolutely sure. In the end, though, I just took the direct route & ordered one, so I should know soon :). Incidentally, if they are the type you reckon, do you know what the refurbishment entailed - was it just returning them to their original condition, or were they modified at all?

Thanks again to you both,

Kevin

Cheers for that - looks like an interesting site, I'll have to see about enrolling at some point.

That's very helpful Chris - I'm pretty sure they are .303, but I've only seen a pic of them in their wrappers thus far & it's a bit hard to be absolutely sure. In the end, though, I just took the direct route & ordered one, so I should know soon :). Incidentally, if they are the type you reckon, do you know what the refurbishment entailed - was it just returning them to their original condition, or were they modified at all?

Thanks again to you both,

Kevin

Are you refering to the ones on Ebay as 'Bren Tins'? If so, they are the .303" ones. I had already been onto the vendor!

Are you refering to the ones on Ebay as 'Bren Tins'? If so, they are the .303" ones. I had already been onto the vendor!

Yes, they were the 'Bren Tins' - mine arrived yesterday & as hoped/expected, they are .303 mags & wartime dated to boot, so just what I was after... :-)

Thanks again for everyone's input

Kevin

Kev, just replied to your thread on Milsurps, after seeing your Aussie mag I realised that they indeed do have dates (and I knew it) so ignore my last. The mag with the FTR mark is very nice, I've never seen a mag with such a good, clear marking.

No worries Chris, you had me doubting myself (I couldn't for the life of me remember who told me they were date marked), so I thought I'd better check before I replied to you... :). Cheers for the info on the markings, by the way.

Kevin