camouflaging your pitch

haybaggerman

Question

Hi All

I'm a newby to actually camping at shows (kids should be old enough next year SURELY)

Anyway, I've got a saracen with penthouse extension, 12 X 12, ferret and also after today, lots of cam netting 10m x 10m and 12m x 14m, plus lots of poles, baskets etc. So, that could mean a decent acreage under cover for the family to hang out in, have fun and maybe room for a cider lounge for consumption of this year's crop.

However, I need inspiration. Does anyone have any pics of their creations or good ones they've seen please?

Thanks

Paul

Paul perhaps don't get too carried away, it's always a shame to see a nice vehicle that I can't really photograph because all its detail is submerged in camo nets, which after all is the purpose I know.:D

But strikes me as a shame when people bring nice vehicles they have restored often a considerable distance to render them largely unseen. By all means camouflage the family, the bar & the living quarters but a shame if we can't see the vehicles in their detail:D

Normally any photgraphs of people erecting 'Acres' of camoflauge net end up complety blue, with a soundtrack of constant beeps. :D I was arguing with a camo net and one show when an old guy came past and started to laugh. I told him 'I hate this stuff'. He replied 'I know someone who hates it more', and then told me the following story.

At the very end of the war his unit was in a wood in Germany. Though everything was getting more relaxed they were still on alert and under strict blackout. Suddenly in the middle of the night some shouted air raid! Everyone dissappeared out of the woods into nearby ditches.

After a long uncomfortable wait during which nothing happned the all clear was sounded and the men returned to the wood.

As the men approached a long low gronaing was heard to eminate from the wood, followed by weack cursing. With some trepidation a light was called for, to reveal one poor block hanging from his boot about five feet off the ground from a camo net. The bloke had taken a flying leap out of the back truck when the warning was sounded, only to get hung up.

You have been warned!

Paul perhaps don't get too carried away, it's always a shame to see a nice vehicle that I can't really photograph because all its detail is submerged in camo nets, which after all is the purpose I know.:D

But strikes me as a shame when people bring nice vehicles they have restored often a considerable distance to render them largely unseen. By all means camouflage the family, the bar & the living quarters but a shame if we can't see the vehicles in their detail:D

Yes, thats a fair point, after all it is a SHOW of vehicles rather than a HIDE. But sometimes if its done well I recon it can add to the display, for family and public. I promise I won't get over excited with this stuff :)

If you are setting it up whilst wearing CS95 make sure you reverse the buttons or worst case you will either be cutting holes in you net or ripping the buttons off, can get a little stressful when you keep getting snagged on the net. I have spent many an hour either repairing nets or combats.

Dont want to get into pro's, cons of camo nets etc. and showing vehicles. Will just say I now take hessian scrim and local greenary as well. Finding folks are more intrested in a bit of correct kit a tent and having someone to chat to about it all. Now got too much intrest, being asked to go to more and more events and offered more room to set up. Have a go Paul, trial run in open space if you are able to find somewhere, but as others have said, it sure can be a pain, worse if taking down in the rain.:rotfl:

Well I think its an interesting change from something that looks like an Asda carpark with everything in serried ranks (and no space in between for decent photography). And done right the view from ground level will be fine (and you will be protected from marauding overhead threats less those with decent thermal cameras or sideways looking radar).

It's your train set - go for it!

That said I can't help saying in response to the piccies where's your shadow screening and windscreen and shiny bit covers?? Tut tut.....

with out a doubt the net just takes the edge of any sun, and the netting when its up like that can be seen from quite away, it always draws them in to see whats under it and always get the question "how do u do it"
My thoughts exactly. Shadow screening? is it what I do when the vehicle is scrimmed to hide the space between chassis and ground and all glass and lights covered? Yes I find the public are intrested and want to chat about it and especially about cleaning your boots and eating 'made up rations' and where you sleep. My Landi has now taken second place to the display.

I might be able to find and post a speeded up vid of the full cam sequence as taught at the Defence School of Transport...

But it might take a day or two to sort out.

Shadow screening is a skirt that goes around the vehicle to disrupt the very distinct shadow underneath. Normally seen as a sort of roll of hessian or its modern polyprop equivalent tied to the sides of vehicles. The same material is used to cover the windscreen, other windows and lights and so on to stop reflection and glare.

Cam isnt just about hiding, it is about obscuring the identity of what's underneath.

IIRC after all these years - it's the four "S"'s - Shape, Shine, Shilloutte and Shadow.

The net, together with the disruptive paint scheme should take care of no's 1, 3 and 4 whilst hessian over the shiny bits takes care of no. 2.

And doubtless the rules have now changed - but in my days it was an absolute no-not to attach the net(s) to any part of the vehicle as the idea was if a bug-out was require you could just rip the hessian off and boot it out of the hot spot.

IIRC after all these years - it's the four "S"'s - Shape, Shine, Shilloutte and Shadow.

The net, together with the disruptive paint scheme should take care of no's 1, 3 and 4 whilst hessian over the shiny bits takes care of no. 2.

And doubtless the rules have now changed - but in my days it was an absolute no-not to attach the net(s) to any part of the vehicle as the idea was if a bug-out was require you could just rip the hessian off and boot it out of the hot spot.

We still have a garage style set up for a quick exit, remember don't just cover windows but have a hessian screen running around the base of the vehicle so it is not as easy to size it and identify axle numbers etc.

there way is ok but if you were bumped they would never get out, but then again if it came to the point where the truck drivers are getting bumped things have gone very very pete tong :)

Everybody fights these days - which is why an increasingly large proportion of loggy vehicles are armed and armoured - there is no such thing as a front line anymore (there probably never was...). And bugging out has been replaced by fighting back like bandits and calling in an airstrike or two.

There was a great story (how things have changed) of senior chap being briefed by a young loggy captain on what is known these days as a Combat Logistic Patrol who was suprised to discover that the young man, as well as his own vehicles had a platoon of infantry and a brace of attack helicopters under command, a battery of light gun in direct support and an on-call B52 bomber.

Not much requirement for cam under those circumstances...

Interesting thread and, great advice on some of the pitfalls in setting-up a cammo net ! I also totally agree that full camouflage sort defeats the object of `showing` your vehicle.

My interest is 1970`s –era Bundeswehr signals vehicles. Fortunately, research into the service life of my particular Unimog model has shown that during the Cold War these vehicles were rear echelon and typically camouflaged under a `garage` - type netting arrangement to screen from high altitude observation only. The objective of such measures were to provide an easily accessible means by which to conceal the true identity of vehicles rather than try to conceal their presence entirely (although this was done as far as possible).

After a couple of practice-runs, this arrangement works well for me at shows – providing an accurate impression yet unimpeded view of the vehicles and equipment for pedestrians (yes I know, glass and headlights not covered.....) .

I believe that many other NATO re-enactors of this period also follow a similar path.

Cheers

DSC00996.jpg

Edited by Steve 82