Irish Austin Champ?

sean101ryan

I was at Fort Camden in Crosshaven near Cork at the weekend and came across a picture of a Champ in use by An Slua Muiri (Naval Reserve) who used the fort up to the 80s. The fort has been opened to the public this year but there's lot's of work to done yet.http://www.rescuecamden.ie/

I didn't know there were any in Irish service and not seen any mention elsewhere but I found a copy of the picture on An Slua Muiri archive site. The registration is a Dublin one. Been right through the archive and can't find any more.

albert12.jpg

Edited by sean101ryan

Hi Tony, all fine here,attending lots of shows and getting well known in Land Rover circles here! Spent the weekend eating drinking and sleeping in the casemates in the background of the photo.

Been thinking about the picture, style of number plate makes it a 70s picture and I think it's a rare civvy Champ, there's an Austin badge on the edge of the bonnet, Rubbolite indicators and an AA badge! Whether it was borrowed for someone's send off or was in service is a different matter, the army bought civvy Land Rovers and militarised them.

Hi Tony, all fine here,attending lots of shows and getting well known in Land Rover circles here! Spent the weekend eating drinking and sleeping in the casemates in the background of the photo.

Been thinking about the picture, style of number plate makes it a 70s picture and I think it's a rare civvy Champ, there's an Austin badge on the edge of the bonnet, Rubbolite indicators and an AA badge! Whether it was borrowed for someone's send off or was in service is a different matter, the army bought civvy Land Rovers and militarised them.

I do not think it is a "civvy" Champ but an Ex-British Army Champ in civilian ownership, genuine civvy Champ had slightly wider front edge on front wings and a fixed windscreen (none folding).

I bow to your superior knowledge, couldn't find any pics of a civvy champ to check! Whatever, it's certainly very shiny, may have been bought and done up for ceremonial use? The army have done something similar recently, have a couple of Td5 110s bulled up for towing hearse gun carriages, using a Nissan Patrol or Mitsubishi Pajero just wouldn't look right!

Unfortunately the book on Irish Army vehicles doesn't cover the Naval Service.

• 2 weeks later...