Putting 2 Stroke Oil in Diesel

HotBed

Yes I put it in my Landcruiser - its 90's tech rotary injection pump is not realy designed to run on this ultra low sulphur part bio crap we now get out the pumps... don't put a fixed amount in though .... just a dash every now and then.

Also put injector cleaner in a tank of fuel every couple of months.

Its well worth putting one of the anti bug treatments in your fuel tank every now and then .

There are some very good (and bad!) additives out there, my company is installing a bit of kit that adds additive (to combat the negative effects of low sulpher diesel) to our 2x60,000 litre fuel tanks when they are filled form a road tanker. The additive is supplied by the company that supplies it to the refineries, we are just increasing the doseage before it hits our fuel tanks. Its the same stuff as used in Shell optimax, we just make iour own blend on site (all automated). Works out cheaper in the long run.

We are also adding an agent that kills the Micro-biological contamination that we have suffered from. This will start affecting road vehicles, I have alrewady seen it on a friends truck at War and peace, also on a 3/4 track re-enactors vehcile. Symptom is low engine power, then won't run caused by the filters becoming blocked with a black slime. YOu then have to clean your fuel system, add an agent to kill the contaminant, and then change the filters regularly as when dead the contaminant turns to a fine powder and blocks the filters again.

I should mention that I work on the railway and our units get through 2000 litres of fuel per engine per 4-5 days. We were having to carry out full filter changes every 5-8 days on affected vehicles, some would cut out at 8 days. We also have a rig that flushes the fuel tanks via a filter (effectively a dialysis rig) when the fuel samples confirm that the MBC has died.

Vince

Vince, can you say what the sulphur substitute additive is and what the MBC killer is, please? The reserve tank on my Mat, through which the main tank is filled, was half full of a horrible slimy substance a while back. I don't think it got into the main system because it couldn't climb over the weir into the main tank but I don't want it appearing again.

Phil

Phil, the MCB killer we use is called Kathlon. I can attest to the fact that it does work. There are other alternatives, a friend of mine found a test and treatment kit on-line (designed for marine use) for £8. The sulphur replacement additive we are using is called fuelcare, but I think it is only available to large companies.

I use Millers additive in all our diesel fleet (MVs, cars and trucks) as it was recommended to me by another friend who worked in the engine remanufacturing business. His company used to overhaul MOD engines and he was asked to trial various products. He ran a comparison trial with several products on diesel injection pumps on a test rig, and the Millers left the fuel pump looking almost like new by the end of the trial.

One product I can recommend NOT using is Diesolift. It causes more problems than it cures!

I must also say that from my meetings with fuel/chemical experts, there is little power gain to be had from any diesel additive product, but what they do is keep the injector nozzles cleaner, remove and prevent deposits on the injector needles and injection pump internals (this is quite critical on newer diesel engines where the operating temperatures and pressures are much higher than in older engines ), and importantly helps maintain engine performance.

As an aside, the removal of the sulphurous elements in diesel have accelerated the proliferation of MBC in fel. It's always been in the fuel, but suppressed. Fuel is no longer stored for as long as it used to be, so the water content is greater. As the MBC grows on the layer between water and fuel, higher water content=higher MBC growth. This is a problem for heritage railway diesel locomotives, as a fuel tank that holds 1000+gallons (if left) will contain a huge amount of MBC.

I've just discovered a commonly used MBC inhibitor is only effective for a relatively short period of time - if the fuel has not been used in that time further treatment is then necessary.

What on earth are we doing here - this is costing farmers and others a vast amount of money in product and downtime - quite frankly like a lot of other well-meaning schemes, any supposed environmental gain is completely wiped out by the complexities of dealing with the difficulties of executing it :nut:

Adblue. :whistle:

The Pig Pi** does NOT go into the fuel!:nono: It is mixed with the exhaust gas in the manifold. At which point it cools everything, so when the mix goes into the catalyst it don't work! Result when the engine is under load the lambda sensor goes OHHH, not working, I know!! :idea: I'll lock the engine into chimp mode! :yay::goodidea:

Result = 'Would passengers please get out and push, or we will never get up theis &*(£££$ hill! :banghead:

Don't get me started on supposed enviromental "improvments" :nut: ...

Since the introduction of emmisionised diesel engines the performance of said engines has gone down and the fuel consumption gone up.

Using B100 or 100% bio fuel halves the engine oil change interval at the very least on most engines .... so on one of our smaller engines thats an extra 20 liters of engine oil every 600 hrs ... not to mention additional filters..... both of which the production of would more than likely cancel out any "good" done by using B100

We then have had to mess about with injection timing on mechanical pumps causing them to use more fuel and to loose torque back-up .... so then they have to work harder and use even more fuel :nut: , but the NOX is down in the exhaust so thats what the legislators want... not to save precious fuel.

Common rail engines fare better and can electronicaly boost up on demand to replace the lost power and torque but again are strangled and hampered by EGR ..... what a crap idea .... put hot sooty burnt exhaust gasses back into the cylinder ..... engine life is reduced , oil change intervals not what they could be and the hot gas again causes a power loss so fueling is upped to get the power back .... result more fuel is used.

Adblue systems do go some way to resolving many issues as the engine is most of the time running in a good run condition with NOX and the like dealt with in the exhaust post engine.

Bio in red diesel is going to cause farmers and plant users no end of problems but was introduced because the engine manfacturers needed a controled fuel and "Dino red diesel" didn't have a standard unlike "new" red that meets EN590 that modern high performance plant and Agri common rail engines need.

Without falling foul of the "P" word its difficult to express how I feel about supposed Green policys that are introduced as a way of raising tax and the UK's blind introduction of every law to the letter while our competitors are much more selective

The Pig Pi** does NOT go into the fuel!:nono: It is mixed with the exhaust gas in the manifold. At which point it cools everything, so when the mix goes into the catalyst it don't work! Result when the engine is under load the lambda sensor goes OHHH, not working, I know!! :idea: I'll lock the engine into chimp mode! :yay::goodidea:

Result = 'Would passengers please get out and push, or we will never get up theis &*(£££$ hill! :banghead:

Been There, done that. You've been driving a Dennis Enviro, haven't you :D They are well known for it

Edited by Zero-Five-Two
missed word out

Been There, done that. You've been driving a Dennis Enviro, haven't you :D They are well known for it

More pushing than driving! :-D The Playstation dashboard keeps you amused for hours though.

You should see the next lot of 'proposals'. Apparently they can be reached if you add exhaust recirculation, but fuel consumption doubles.

More pushing than driving! :-D The Playstation dashboard keeps you amused for hours though.

You should see the next lot of 'proposals'. Apparently they can be reached if you add exhaust recirculation, but fuel consumption doubles.

There is a line in one of the Star Trek films when, after disabling another spacecraft without much effort, Chief Engineer Scotty says "The more complicated they make the plumbing, the easier it is to block the drains" Oh so true! It makes you wonder if we are actually achieving anything with all this environmentally friendly gadgets and sensors etc