Pre Falklands plastic para helmet?

43rdrecce

Hello all,

Does anyone know the details of the introduction of these helmets? They saw limited use during the Falklands and there are one or two shown in photos. Not sure if this is one.

I have had this one since the very early 80s, 83 or early 84 I think. It has the first pattern chinstraps in pvc/leather/nylon webbing bit like the wartime leather straps for the steel para lid. I believe these plastic straps were unpopular and were soon replaced. The helmet has a custom made fitted cover (looks like a combat jacket hood in early DPM colours) and over this is a first pattern Mk6 cover (without the vertical elastic foliage bands,just two horizontal bands)

I'd like to know a little more about the introduction if anyone knows.

Cheers

Paul

coverlabel.jpg

earlytypestraps.jpg

exterior home made cover.jpg

firstpattern cover.jpg

helmet interiro.jpg

Whilst researching the book on combat clothing, I have come across various news snippets regarding the then-new para helmet.......it seems that trials started during the early 1970's and continued up to the end of the decade........it seems that the chinstrap assembly was a major area of trial and error......

I am pretty certain that the first models (as per the example illustrated) began to appear on issue to regular units around 1980-81 and were certainly in use for the Falklands conflict in 1982......a study of photos from the campaign show that some regulars continued to wear the earlier steel version, plus other troops wearing the new helmet but with the earlier webbing harness fitted, perhaps highlighting the ongoing concerns over the chinstrap assembly.......

Trial reports indicate that the PVC/leather harness was insufficiently rigid to secure the helmet correctly (no chin-cup as per the earlier and later patterns), and extensive usage resulted in the PVC outer material hardening and cracking........

Early helmet shells are smooth-finished.....later replaced by a coarse finished shell..........many were unit fitted with the earlier khaki webbing harness until the revised green webbing design was standardised in the mid-late 1980s.....

Early covers are as illustrated, lacking the vertical cammo attachment strips.........many of these were subsequently used on the first issues of the GS MK6 helmet introduced during 1986 and they are rare to find today......many early fibre para helmets can be found with home-made DPM or hessian covers fitted.....

Edited by wdbikemad

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies, very informative. I acquired it from an Officer in 10 Para sometime in 1983 I think. He told me that the vinyl straps were a bit sweaty to wear and were unpopular. At the time I was going around hoovering up Falklands kit, a lot of which I subsequently lent to the IWM for their FI 10th anniversary exhibition a few years later. At the termination of the exhibition I sold most of the items to the museum as I had decided I didn't want to retain them. (my main interest being WW1 and WW2 Infantry and armour)

There were some quite unique items amongst them including a data panel from one of the cluster bombs dropped in the first raid on Port Stanley airport, as well as some bullet holed items from Government House, some historic stuff.

Last time I was at the IWM I was pleased to see that some of the items are still on display. The rest I presume is in store.

The helmet cover was on it when I acquired it but is a tad later in vintage of course. Just had a look and it is finished in green, so an early Para helmet then.

Thanks to Dave, Panzer Nut and WDbikemad for the info.

Cheers

Paul

There is one picture in the falklands of Paras and all three types of helmets are in the shot. Steel, new pattern with leather strap and one with the newer webbing strap.

The reason why they switched from the leather harness to the current style; as told by a para, is that the leather harness one did not provide enough grip and the helmet used to snap orward when the chute opened and the poor para ended up with a broken nose.

Terry gander puts the issue of the Rural Patrol Helmet (NI helmet) at 1975. And as far as i know the Para one derives from that.

Ta

Jon

as far as i can remember it was like first come first served on the plastic helmets, a lot of the boys ended up dumping them in favor of the good old steel one's because they where tried and tested and you've only got one head :shocked:

• 4 months later...

The NI helmet had the same chinstrap assembly as the early plastic airborne helmet but was a totally different helmet.

Who won the pictured helmet on Ebay then chaps(was up last week).

Sold for a lot less than it should have considering also the early MK6 Cover:embarrassed:

From your original enquirey post.

I can confirm the helmets introduction to service as 1981. I was attached to 3 Para for two years, right upto thier deployment to the Falklands Campaign.

We got these Helmets issued, but there was no Cammo cover available at that time. You still had the 'String Net' cover as issued with the original steel varaint.

A lot of us acquired an extra DPM Cammo Detachable hood, as issued for the 'Smocks, Combat'.

These were modified to fit the helmet & the net fitted over the top to secure it all.

Some fitted Rubber bands for easier attachment of foliage in the field.

Yes, they were indeed used in the Falklands by 3 Para.

I hope this assists you?

Going by the date, this would have originally had the vynil/leather harness fitted......but these were often subsequently replaced from '86 onwards by the GS MK6 webbing version......

I thought the vinyl chinstrap assembly was binned straight after the Falklands due to the negative comments from the Paras who were issued it. After this they can be seen with the Tan coloured web chinstrap from the WW2 type steel Para Helmet.

I thought the vinyl chinstrap assembly was binned straight after the Falklands due to the negative comments from the Paras who were issued it. After this they can be seen with the Tan coloured web chinstrap from the WW2 type steel Para Helmet.

Ah, but the GS MK6 lid didn't become available for general issue until 86, the chinstrap assembly (available as a replacement part) also fitting the para helmet........in the interim, many used the old khaki-coloured webbing harness from the steel para helmet (also available as a spare)......

Mind you, the GS MK6 harness could have appeared earlier, initially being intended for the para helmet and then subsequently used in the GS MK6.....? It would need a check of NSNs to find an actual introduction date into the supply system.....