Niels v

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all

if the new owner looks on the left hand side wall there should be a big brass plate - its should built by ROF Barnbow (these had been bought before the Leeds move from ROF to RO PLC to Vickers) and I think it is vehicle build number 247 from Leeds - a 5th Regiment Mark 3 Mind you that's if the ABRO left the plate on and if they didn't switch the hull with another one.

The pack would be interesting - CV 12 aren't as difficult to obtain as the TN 37 will be ( same engine used in other vehicles including railway shunters albeit without the twin turbocharges.)

It would be nice to see this vehicle running again as its factory is no more.

A couple more pics and hopefully more to follow soon including hopefully some of the interior. I thought it looked a bit low at the nose, but when you see the size of the (currently empty) engine bay you'll realise why this might be the case - it is truly cavernous in there..! I can also confirm it is indeed not a prototype ie it isn't soft-skinned and is bl**dy heavy...

Challanger collection 023.JPG

Challanger collection 028.JPG

Don't get me wrong its an amazing vehicle to be in private hands! But a hundred grand ! Is it worth it ?

The old saying 'its worth what someone will pay for it' is never truer than with mv's....kettenkrad for £100k anyone?!

Don't get me wrong its an amazing vehicle to be in private hands! But a hundred grand ! Is it worth it ?

That may not be what was actually paid for it, of course. I suspect the £100k was just to deter unwanted tyre-kickers - everything is open to negotiation!

Andy

Just shows how new i am to the M.V. world .. I really never seen it that way cheers andym/flywhell . Lets hope the new owner make a restoration thread on HMVF :D

Patience, patience !! I am pushing for more pics and will post as soon as I get them under the restoration forum. It will not be a quick job this one though as will need to be fitted in amongst lots of other things...!

There was a privatly owned Challenger 1 at Detling a few years ago, it was complete and restored. Owned by a chap from kent I believe, he told me his company supplied generators to the MOD and he found the chassis at one of the testing grounds and the turret elsewhere. I have a pic somewhere I will try and find it, I parked my hippo next to it!

There was a privatly owned Challenger 1 at Detling a few years ago, it was complete and restored. Owned by a chap from kent I believe, he told me his company supplied generators to the MOD and he found the chassis at one of the testing grounds and the turret elsewhere. I have a pic somewhere I will try and find it, I parked my hippo next to it!

The Chally you mention is still MOD kit, and is loaned to the person you speak of, it is stored at Borden.. I think I am correct in saying it was a driver training aid and then the turret was added when restored to show...

A friend of mine pulled the records - apparently she entered service 01/06/81. According to another friend in the know, she started life as prototype 06 SP 38 and was then re-turreted and passed to SEME as with the other prototypes, which were shared between SEME Bordon and Bovington. Finally disposed of 18/06/04. No doubt they will be along to confirm this so sorry of I stole their thunder :D

Life events - SEME Bordon, Ludgershall, Malvern, RAC Centre Ashchurch and finally RMCS Shrivenham.

His theory is that she was painted in gulf colours purely for gate guard duty but no one at Shriv is able to confirm this - also doubts it has the full Chobham fit, but not all Chally's had it anyway

HTH

A friend of mine pulled the records - apparently she entered service 01/06/81. According to another friend in the know, she started life as prototype 06 SP 38 and was then re-turreted and passed to SEME as with the other prototypes, which were shared between SEME Bordon and Bovington. Finally disposed of 18/06/04. No doubt they will be along to confirm this so sorry of I stole their thunder :D

Life events - SEME Bordon, Ludgershall, Malvern, RAC Centre Ashchurch and finally RMCS Shrivenham.

His theory is that she was painted in gulf colours purely for gate guard duty but no one at Shriv is able to confirm this - also doubts it has the full Chobham fit, but not all Chally's had it anyway

HTH

as i said before its the sister to our one in the reserve collection and its a soft skin and i think we have the engine and gearbox tucked away as spares for ours

Edited by landyandy

The Challenger One has the registration 94 KC 37 and served with the Scots Dragoon Guards in the First Gulf war.

Their museum (still in Edinburgh) has contacted the new owner and requested to be kept informed of the restoration progress. Meanwhile its full history with dates and relevant personnel, is being reasearched by them! More info to follow when this arrives.

The plot thickens - it's either a 'soft skin', 'SP', prototype painted up as an RSDG Gulf War veteran, or it's the real thing!!

It's all very interesting and I can't to find out which it really is, but whatever it is, it was worth saving so thanks to the new owner!!

Please keep us posted on this one!

Spoke to the owner again just now and he is going to send me some more pics including some interior shots so hopefully he will do it this time !! I will post under a resto thread although progress is going to be slow due to toher commitments (and it is a big beast !)...

Cheers

Timbo

• 3 weeks later...