Witham Challenger 1 for sale

Niels v

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it's a prototype wouldn't it have an "SP" VRN? £100000 with no means of propulsion sounds a bit over the top! What happened to the Withams 101 Vampire with nothing in it I wonder? About £8000 was bid early on.

The Vamp was still there yesterday, as attached:

Reg on the Challenger is 94KC37

PICT3980 small.jpg

PICT3969 Small.jpg

I know this is off topic and must stress that I certainly do not mean any offence nor disrespect to Withams..but.........

can anyone explain to me how the whole Withams system works?????

by this I am asking ....

.....are Withams an actual government funded/ran agency specifically set up to dispose of MoD kit?????

or!.........

are they a private company that somehow wound up getting the contract to sell stuff for the government?????

or!.......

if it is a 'contract'.....how often is it offered out to other companies to 'tender' for the business?????

and!.......

do Withams sell the item for whatever they can get and give a percentage back to the government for the vehicle?

or!.......

does Withams just get 'given' the vehicles and are then at liberty to sell them for as much as possible?..then keeping a percentage for themselves for their work in selling it and the rest going to the government?????

I'm very confused over this business because how does this current system get a better price than an open public auction like in the old days of Ruddington and Aston Down????

it baffles me as to how they 'aquire' a Challenger tank and set the price required so high??...

....did the government say something like

" here have this one that's got no engine but don't let it go cheap mind!...we want at least a 100 grand for it and if you can get some sucker to pay that much, you can keep 20 grand for yourself!"

as I said ............off topic so apologies in advance !

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

I know this is off topic and must stress that I certainly do not mean any offence nor disrespect to Withams..but.........

can anyone explain to me how the whole Withams system works?????

by this I am asking ....

.....are Withams an actual government funded/ran agency specifically set up to dispose of MoD kit?????

or!.........

are they a private company that somehow wound up getting the contract to sell stuff for the government?????

or!.......

if it is a 'contract'.....how often is it offered out to other companies to 'tender' for the business?????

and!.......

do Withams sell the item for whatever they can get and give a percentage back to the government for the vehicle?

or!.......

does Withams just get 'given' the vehicles and are then at liberty to sell them for as much as possible?..then keeping a percentage for themselves for their work in selling it and the rest going to the government?????

I'm very confused over this business because how does this current system get a better price than an open public auction like in the old days of Ruddington and Aston Down????

it baffles me as to how they 'aquire' a Challenger tank and set the price required so high??...

....did the government say something like

" here have this one that's got no engine but don't let it go cheap mind!...we want at least a 100 grand for it and if you can get some sucker to pay that much, you can keep 20 grand for yourself!"

as I said ............off topic so apologies in advance !

Bob

What I do know is it's a contract, it was recently renewed. What I am speculating about is - they'll never get £100K for it but it is there to discourage the legions of tyre kickers they would otherwise get want ing to look at a Chally. I would imagine if you offered significantly less but actually had the cash then you would have a good chance...

Do not know exactly how the contract works but there may be a number of options ie a straight % of whatever they sell, or maybe a fixed retainer, with a % on top of that for achieving certain sales figures.

I have never bought a vehicle from them but have bought a few spares, and have always found them OK to deal with, however by the time you add vat on and then the cost of collecting or getting someone else to that late night bid is often not the bargain you first thought it was...!

Timbo

• 1 month later...

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The Chally was from Shrivenham, from my insider informant, it was offered first to Bovvy but they didn't want it, then to the Jordanians for spare, guess they didn't want it either.

Apparently there is a number of surplus modern apc's and afv's that if bovvy or other museums don't want them they will be up for sale as well... I will try and find out what's up for grab.

Cheers

Nick

Just on the subject of sales generally and as a recent "insider" I can tell you taxpayers out there that the current set up generates more income than any previous set up, so that can't be bad. And all contracts have to be competed for (across europe as it happens...)

The more money this surplus kit makes the better it is for Defence and the taxpayer. Not quite so good if you are after cheap garden ornaments though.....

Matt,Peter

Without wishing to steal the new owners thunder too much it is based in Warwickshire, at a location which has what I had always thought was a lot of land to play on - now I'm not so sure..!

It is the venue for the tanks,trucks and firepower show held each august bank holiday. The plan is to restore cosmetically whilst a suitable pack is sought for the beast.

In terms of history I cannot be definitive but as I understand it was Royal Scots Dragoons and a gulf war 1 veteran, then latterly gate guard. You may just be able to see the faded red desert rat or jerboah of 7th armoured on the front right of the turret.

Cheers

Timbo