Ferrets

Tugger

Question

A Ferret would seem to be the next logical?? progression in MV ownership, hypothetically, if one would be looking for one, ideally a MK2, what are the pros and cons of ownership, likely costs and ease of maintenance etc. ease of driving and practicality of getting to shows... possibly under own power?

thanks in advance

7 answers to this question

I have had a Ferret for over 5 years now. I have driven it the 200+ miles to Beltring twice, with no problems. I totally rebuilt mine when I got it since it was a wreck. They are quite thirsty but about as economical as you can get with an AFV. I've had mine at over 60 on the motorway but mine is a mk 1 and that was just after putting in new points. They are easy to work on, easy to drive, easy to store and most of all fun.

They do need a fair bit of maintenance, I check all the oil levels and give it a grease up before any long journeys and at least once a year if I haven't gone any long distances. If you go to look at one my biggest tip is to check all the grease nipples. If they look as if they haven't been used for a while you can probably say that it hasn't had any other maintenance done on it either. Worst case is if they are painted over! I personally don't like Mk 2s, and since I have a new style licence I couldn't drive one anyway. You'll need to spend about £5000 on a nice one.

You might want to join Ferret Heaven http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-heaven/

Chris

I agree with Chris's comments. I have owned my Mk1/2 for 11 years now and been able to do most maintenance jobs on it myself although you will have to invest in heavy tools to suit - but that is no different to owning anyother form of armour.

The most frequent maintenance cost is fluid replacement especially EP90 gear oil which is used all over the vehicle. Consumable service parts (points, filters etc) are still available from selected dealers but getting scarce as with anything else from the 1960's AFV range

Lifting kit is a major advantage if doing work on your own but a simple engine crane is all you need and with 2 people not essential unless you are doing an engine (sic) change

Long distance driving is well within the capabilities of a properly maintained vehicle although, as Chris said, you do have to be very aware of oil leaks from hubs especially and be prepared to check and top up if necessary when you get there (ie always carry spare fluids). I have regularly driven 200 miles + to and from London - Worcester. Vehicle transport to shows is awkward because at approx 4 tons it is too heavy for most 7.5 ton recovery trucks to carry as a pay load so you need to hold an HGV licence to truck it there yourself. Using a trailer you would need one which has powered brakes so realistically it is best driven to shows under its own power anyway

fairly comfortable to drive but remember they are 40 + years old so there is little point buying one if all you are interested in is speed. They will cruise all day at 45mph. Most are driven at 50 mph but it will likely top out at about 60 mph (by hitting the governor)

Mk2 are popular because of the turret but are cramped inside and many of us prefer to switch to Mk1 or Mk1/2 for practically eventually (I also have a Mk2 and a Mk1).

price wise as ever depends on what you want to pay for the amount of work you need to do - the odd restoration job does still come up but restored ones are at least £5,000 nowadays

I agree with all of the above and could bang on for ages and ages.

I would say that

mk 1's are for performance because they are lighter, faster up hills. but the commander has to like being out in bad weather.

Mk 2's are cool because they have a turret that turns and has a gun in it, a bit like a small tank, but not alot of room for people.

Mk 1/2's have weather protection and lots of room for extra people, especially if you get one with the interior fold up seats, probably the social person's ferret, but no turny aroundy turret.

Sorry, did you want something a bit more technical?

regards

Paul

00CA40 mk 1/2

The old ferret has never let me down badly. All the replies are right they do require regular checking and a bit of maintenance here and there but so does any old vehicle. As we know spares a relativley plentiful apart from some of the side tinwork- the delicate bit. Whats good about them is that if something is broken on it you can just take it off and bolt a new one on there- job done. They are relatively fast, I have had mine well off the scale which ends at 50 and yes she is a big thirsty staright six so she does drink a bit. The manual says 9 mpg I probably get 7 I would imagine.

Overall a very good vehicle I don't think I'll ever sell mine!

Thanks and Regards,

Mick.