Foden EKA Wrecker

ps We would really like to get the whole vehicle looked over by someone who knows what they are doing with them, and who can point out any major defects and make suggestions about how best to procede. Any suggestions? The vehicle will soon be moving to live on the wirral.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello! I am Daniel. My son James and I have just acquired 34 KE 59. In pretty excellent shape overall, though all the removable recovery kit including remote controls has been removed. Crane wiring box has had a few units removed, and here and there around the rear, switches removed. Our aim is to preserve rather than use vehicle, but would like to get it all working in as close to the original manner as possible. Would really like to tap into the knowledge of you guys. For starters, anyone know we we can get wiring diagrams, copies of manuals, and a drivers (RHS) wing mirror? Kind regards, Daniel W.

Nice well worth looking after. Mirror is standard of the shelf item any commercial motor factors

stock. Joris has high lighted remote control box on E bay some one should be along with other hints

oh and i have some of the proximity switches s/h and new i dont need.

Thank-you for your reply, cosrec. Are you saying that the remotes come up (e.g. ebay) some times?? I gather there are supposed to be three of them, each different? As soon as I can, I will post some photos of the circuit board, so that you guys can hopefully tell me what the missing components are. Over time I am going to try and build up some of the kit. Rgds, Dan W.

PS the only documention (job sheets, crane tests etc) that came with the truck put the mileage at under 4000. I was told it had been in "the reserve nr Aldershot". Does this sound plausible? There seems to be no trace of sand or grime on it.

Hi there,I have a foden eka wrecker myself I have just got it all up and working,whereabouts are you based as I can look yours over for you.as for the gear it does crop up from time to time on eBay, dave crouch from crouch recovery did have a lot of kit for these.i know withams have a load but they are not selling any at the moment .

Hello, that is really nice of you. Right now, it is near Bury St Edmunds, which I guess is asking a bit much of you! It's going to be there for a while. (I live on the Wirral which is where it's going to end up.) If you were able too, I'd drive down to meet you. We'd like to have someone help us figure out what needs doing urgently, etc. I have just been reading through the forum posts...alot of info for sure. rgds, Dan W

Hi,

Our Foden GS 6x6 Wrecker will not engage 6 wheel drive. We have changed the high / low range selector in the cab which leaked air in the low ratio but it appears to only be trying to engage 6x6.

We jacked up the front axle, rotated the front wheel but the teeth appear to be 'chattering'.

Has anybody got any ideas as got it stuck winching a dozer last week which was heading for a lake and had to use the AEC Militant to recovery the Foden!

Hi,have you tried to manually engage low range by removing air cylinder and select by hand if this works then I think you may have a trapped air pipe from control in cab to cylinder on transfer box.also drain the oil in the transfer box and check for debris just in case you have a internal problem.

Only just seen this thread a quick one dont know for sure about wrecker but gun tractor used to fail in in 6 wheel drive eg it relied on air pressure to keep it out of 6 wheel drive. Are you getting full pressure up on tank no 5 to disengage it. has it been used in past with gears clattering thus not been able to fully engage now Just a thought

Only just seen this thread a quick one dont know for sure about wrecker but gun tractor used to fail in in 6 wheel drive eg it relied on air pressure to keep it out of 6 wheel drive. Are you getting full pressure up on tank no 5 to disengage it. has it been used in past with gears clattering thus not been able to fully engage now Just a thought

A friend had one fail on the motorway when he was delivering a gun tractor for someone - I think direct from Measham Auctions. Lost air to selector. He said the transfer box didn't last many miles in FWD at 50MPH :shocked: I guess it was a safety feature in that if air failed you could still get out of trouble in a combat situation? If I had one I'm sure I would alter that somehow to air press = FWD!

• 2 weeks later...

Very impressive pictures; all your work seems to have paid dividends and I bet you don't have any 2nd thoughts about the truck now. I'll bet that being able to operate off-road was a great advantage? Was the tractor unit still attached? Regards, Dan W. PS I am expecting to get truck moved over from Suffolk as a return load before much longer.

Edited by djwalker

RICCAL 054.jpg

Very impressive pictures; all your work seems to have paid dividends and I bet you don't have any 2nd thoughts about the truck now. I'll bet that being able to operate off-road was a great advantage? Was the tractor unit still attached? Regards, Dan W. PS I am expecting to get 34KE50 moved over from Suffolk to Wirral as a return load before much longer.

Tractor attached never split until uprighted. Good luck with your machine.

Edited by cosrec

A picture of my foden after giving her a shakedown this morning. [ATTACH=CONFIG]64504[/ATTACH]

Looks a clean example did you get remote sorted. Have just converted another to full radio control. Do you recken that logo on door could be Freddie Cougar

Looks a clean example did you get remote sorted. Have just converted another to full radio control. Do you recken that logo on door could be Freddie Cougar

Hi Steve,yes mate I got the remote working it was a headache but managed to get some info from within,which was a great help.all I need to do is sort the cosmetics mate every one loves the joker on the door.

• 1 month later...
Problem! Bloke I bought my EKA from has damaged crane steel wire. Says ~5 strands are broken. What can be done?

Was already having a crap summer. Hope you are all faring better! Dan W.

Hi have brand new coil of wire 500 meters to fit crane let me know how much you need when ready

dont start a thread on the police or you will have the forum police on your backs in no time too..

Firstly,we are not Forum Police, we are Moderators & give up our Free time (Unpaid) so that the members have a forum to read.

Many thanks for your reply. Nice to be back among friends. I am really pissed off about this rope, don;t know what the f+++ he was playing at. Things seem to be going from bad to worse this summer. Our main AFS shows all rained off. Then, trying to keep my 13yr old daughter out of trouble, I cross swords with our local bent copper who has been giving me and my son hassle for 2 years. I refer to him and his CSO side-kick as 'bum chums'. So on 1/8, I'm arrested by plain clothes at 7:30 am, locked up all day and charged with "racially agravated" harassment. This country has lost the plot. I haven't had time to do anything with eka. Still in suffolk waiting for me to move it. But not even sure where I want to put it now...Am trying to find new storage for all my (is it 21?) big trucks. Very best wishes, Dan

Getting a bit fed up with a minority of the members wanting to have a pop at the Police all the time. They do an unenviable Job with very little thanks from some quarters. Please remember that we have many serving & ex-police officers on the forum as members, you insult them & you are insulting our members. Future post having a pop at the Police will be removed without notice.

Edited by Marmite!!

Firstly,we are not Forum Police, we are Moderators & give up our Free time (Unpaid) so that the members have a forum to read.

Getting a bit fed up with a minority of the members wanting to have a pop at the Police all the time. They do an unenviable Job with very little thanks from some quarters. Please remember that we have many serving & ex-police officers on the forum as members, you insult them & you are insulting our members. Future post having a pop at the Police will be removed without notice.

Your last sentence would have sufficed. Your status as "moderator" no more justifies your circulation of a questionnable assertion (viz "you are insulting our members") than I was for drifting off the thread, for which I apologize.

Plus the fact the term Forum Police gets rather boring after a while.

Not having a pop at anyone but I do have chums who moaned about the Police and my stock answer is - "who are you going to call if your house gets broken into?" They tend to go quite at that point.....

- now back on topic :)

Hi,

I recently acquired a User's Handbook for the Foden Wrecker and have been reading through it a few times :readbook: to absorb the material. Unlike U.S. manuals, the listing/description of the wrecker's associated recovery equipment is somewhat vague. Some equipment is shown laid out however most of the assocated recovery equipment is shown stowed away in their respective tool boxes and can't been seen due to the bad pictures. While looking at some photos I noticed a piece of "kit" that wasn't shown in any illustrations etc. in the User's Handbook.

I have attached some photos with the item in question circled. It can be obviously seen in one photo that this "item" is used as a mechanical lock for the rear winching spades during transport. It appears that there are others uses intended for this item as it has the two pin hole pattern that matches the rear pin-board for the underlift and detachable pintle hitch. What else is this item used for?

Thanks for your help, this is a great thread!

7188147429_e681542282_h_circled.JPG

foden_wrecker-50circled.JPG

foden_wrecker-04circled.JPG