Foden EKA Wrecker

I some thread.....a while back....somewhere on here you mentioned you had n air cylinder that could be fitted to the brake pedal of a towed lorry in order to work its brakes.....any chance you could post a picture of said device I have a plan as to towing a land rover ambulance behind the Scammell and would need to work the brakes of said landy and this might be a way of doing it.......And your thoughts on the subject. I'm pretty sure it would be a legal way of towing said landy behind the scammell....

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.awdirect.com/brake-buddy/heavy-duty-towing/

This is identical to the one we had. Will put my thoughts under recovery towing forum tomorrow

That looks like a simple soloution but i'm pretty sure i can make one for a few quid, Need to find a landy ambulance at the right price first...Or i could just get the wife to drive it behind me....

I have seen somewhere on the web a reference to towing vehicles that said if the towing vehicle is very much heavier than the towed one, (IE Landrover/Scammell) then brakes are not legally needed, I'm sure it quoted a ration too, but I can't find it again now.

Anyone know anything about this?

That looks like a simple soloution but i'm pretty sure i can make one for a few quid, Need to find a landy ambulance at the right price first...Or i could just get the wife to drive it behind me....

Yes dead simple to fab up and would cover all requirements legally. Couple of tips keep pipe to air ram small dia so you dont have brakes lagging behind and sticking on. Ram was about 1 1/4internal dia dont be tempted to go bigger as you could soon distort or break something

Edited by cosrec

I have seen somewhere on the web a reference to towing vehicles that said if the towing vehicle is very much heavier than the towed one, (IE Landrover/Scammell) then brakes are not legally needed, I'm sure it quoted a ration too, but I can't find it again now.

Anyone know anything about this?

All depend how you want call the vehicle you are towing EG if its a broken down vehicle then it need not have any brakes after all that could be why it is classed as broken down.

If not its judged to be a trailer and as such if it weighs more than 750kg it has to have brakes the above is a way of getting round ECC regs that forbid connection to any part of system unless specifically provided for that purpose by the manfacturer

Taking you off topic here sorry......But what about a brake chamber instead of a ram? Even a spring brake chamber. .Could the pressure applied be reduced by backing off the nut? Mabey a small air tank and relay valves could be hung on the front of the landy to work said system and would provide brake away protection...

That "Brake Buddy" gizmo will only work in the case of a front suspended tow, since the steering wheel cannot rotate.

It seems to be generally accepted (and is certainly the view of the Police and VOSA) that it is not possible legally to tow a vehicle on an "A"-frame except in the case of a broken down vehicle being recovered to a place of safety. the question comes up quite often on the motorhome type forums, since there are those who have huge motorhomes and who want to "A"-frame something smaller to use once thye've arrived.

Since when being towed, the vehicle is a trailer, then if the Maximum Authorised Mass of the towed vehicle (note not unladen weight) exceeds 750kg it must be braked in accordance with EU regulations. There doesn't seem to be any form of braking system whch can be fitted to a vehicle which will allow it to meet these (the main problems being brake efficiency and the need for the servo to be energised, and the auto-reverse requirement). If there is a system to be found, then it will probably be something the involves a power-operated pedal actuator.

The weight of the towing vehicle is only relevent in the case of light vehicles towing unbraked trailers, when the gross weight of the trailer must not exceed a precentage of the towing vehicle's weight (but I forget the percentage, sorry)!

It is possible that if the towed vehicle is old enough to be exempt from the current trailer brake regs then it might be possible to tow in this way legally, but this seems uncertain.

Remember that if you are towing a broken-down vehicle using an "A"-frame you can only legally tow it to the nearest place of safety; not home, not to a rally site or back, just to the nearest layby or whatever.

The only way to tow a seviceable Landrover behind a Scammell which is definitely legal is to put the Landrover on a trailer.

The weight of the towing vehicle is only relevent in the case of light vehicles towing unbraked trailers, when the gross weight of the trailer must not exceed a precentage of the towing vehicle's weight (but I forget the percentage, sorry)!

Thanks, yes that must be what I read somewhere, it was a very long time ago...

The only way to tow a seviceable Landrover behind a Scammell which is definitely legal is to put the Landrover on a trailer.

Errm...just as well I sold my LandRover then, don't think anyone noticed it tagging along behind though..:angel: :D

...The only way to tow a seviceable Landrover behind a Scammell which is definitely legal is to put the Landrover on a trailer.

Except that the trailer then becomes LADEN :cool2:, which (depending on what Scammell it is) could give rise to certain legal issues concerning older vehicles, historic taxation and towing laden trailers....ah damn and blast it :-D

Seem like the above comments might have dampened you bonfire.

I guess the land rover would be street legal and conform to brake regs. Instead of pressing against steering wheel hows about slide seat forward and pressing against seat base. I think it would classed as a trailer and fill all the regs. I would think it dead easy to fab up a small two way ram with a strong spring inside and a air valve that allows red line to keep spring pulled back and yellow line to exaust it

Got a cast note for Foden today but only had quick peek before swopping for a reg number.

Heres What i gleaned

Army no 32KE80 date in service 1986 cast 01/2011 Cast from Ashchurch

Would love to know more of its History or see any photos in service. I know Ashchurch is were vehicles from Canada arrive but do vehicles from other overseas postings also arrive here.

Steve,

Your Foden spent time in the late 80s (probably from new) at 147 Workshop Coy TA in Scunthorpe before being sent in 1990 on Op Granby the first Gulf War, on it's conclusion your Foden then went back to Germany with 1 Bn REME from Osnabruck. Trying to find out what other Operations it deployed on and some more details. Also waiting for somebody to hopefully get back to me with some photos of it in service.

Steve,

Your Foden spent time in the late 80s (probably from new) at 147 Workshop Coy TA in Scunthorpe before being sent in 1990 on Op Granby the first Gulf War, on it's conclusion your Foden then went back to Germany with 1 Bn REME from Osnabruck. Trying to find out what other Operations it deployed on and some more details. Also waiting for somebody to hopefully get back to me with some photos of it in service.

Great that s what i was after. Appreciate your help to date have trawled through thousands of pictures on web looking for in service pics found numbers 30 KE 78 at a show somewhere and 30 KE 82.

Never mentioned this before there is also evidence it has been Rolled onto its drivers side scour marks on O/S leg foot plate on crane seat bent and i mentioned damage to engine cross member which was cracked had had a chain wrapped around it. Although it had no damage on cab consistent with been rolled.

Never mentioned this before there is also evidence it has been Rolled onto its drivers side scour marks on O/S leg foot plate on crane seat bent and i mentioned damage to engine cross member which was cracked had had a chain wrapped around it. Although it had no damage on cab consistent with been rolled.

There were a number of Fodens which had cracked cross members due to a design fault so the whole fleet had to be inspected, all damaged ones were repaired. Is the damage on the crane seat possibly consistant with being caused by a tree branch? Lots of military vehicles suffer damage from trees when driving through wooded areas in the dark.

Seem like the above comments might have dampened you bonfire.

I guess the land rover would be street legal and conform to brake regs. Instead of pressing against steering wheel hows about slide seat forward and pressing against seat base. I think it would classed as a trailer and fill all the regs. I would think it dead easy to fab up a small two way ram with a strong spring inside and a air valve that allows red line to keep spring pulled back and yellow line to exaust it

Bonfire still burning just about, The brake cylinder seems the easy way to make it a trailer and seems a very simple solution. I was thinking along the lines of a bracket on the seat base for the ram to sit in. Just the decision whether to suspend tow it off the jib. (got a few narrow lanes to navigate and it might make reversing easier) or to drag it on an a frame....Need to find a bloomin ambulance first. Sort of like a living van that can take itself out camping at weekends..:-D

Thanks for your input, and now i'll stop taking you off topic..:red:

Bit of a mishap Friday Offices and workshops took direct hit from lightening knocked out main electric supply burnt wiring for phones and broad band + computers so i am using sons laptop with dongle thingy. Being nosy i had a look at his pictures and found these. DSC01020.JPG

DSC01018.JPG

DSC01019.JPG

DSC01023.JPG

• 1 month later...

Hello! My son and I have just acquired 34 KE 59. In pretty excellent shape overall, though all the removable recovery kit including remote controls has been removed. Crane wiring box has had a few units removed, and here and there around the rear, switches removed. Our aim is to preserve rather than use vehicle, but would like to get it all working in as close to the original manner as possible. Would really like to tap into the knowledge of you guys. For starters, anyone know we we can get wiring diagrams, copies of manuals, and a drivers (RHS) wing mirror? Kind regards, DW.

34 KE 59-comp.JPG

Edited by djwalker
Add photo to post