Foden EKA Wrecker

Had a little play with foden this afternoon. Pictures of it lifting 8 wheeler skip loader. Immediately prior to this it lifted same truck at same extension on front axle. I am very confident now that it will have greater lifting ability within plated weights than standard truck. i was amazed to see just how much weight seemed to be transferred when boom was swivelled through 180 degrees. Constructing a small set if goal posts to hold boom if used like this. Still lots of niggling jobs to do but i am now starting think towards making it look right

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good there.....:-D Good paint that Nato stuff, You spray a dog turd and make it look nice with that paint.. You going to fit some goal posts to sit the boom on over the cab?

Edited by rbrtcrowther

hi got goal posts made today but not fitted as got knocked doing yard duties triple stacking some trailers for export. To top off it run out of derv all being well will fit in the morning Noticed some thing else i am no photographer but no matter where the light is coming from it seems impossible to get a pic with any detail once you put nato paint on Still i guess thats the idea

phonephotos 149.jpg

Edited by cosrec

bloody good crane on them wagons. Do they have a rotary coupling on the slew or are they not full 360? like your exhaust mod, keeps the eye watering crap out of your face:D

yes as far as i can see and as i mentioned many posts ago i think they are based on the turntable for atlas AK6500 hiab type crane which was advertised as a continuous slewing crane. the only thing that stops it is the built in sensors that protect the air line feed for the turn table oiler plus the huge wiring harness that goes to the control valves for the crane and the work lights and of course its front end heavy and has no legs at front so would have very limited capacity towards the front end.

in my dreams if i had the the money i would like to throw away the lifting winch thats fitted and replace with two say 15000lbs winches and 360 degree fairleads then you would have a piece of kit that could compete with virtually anything that is on the market today

Edited by cosrec

Had a day clearing a few niggling jobs e.g getting freewheel on front winch working tie wrapping pipes and wires. Putting kit on about there now shall see if i can get it registered. and then hopefully get some work for it or a buyer.

phonephotos 151.jpg

phonephotos 152.jpg

phonephotos 155.jpg

Any one know service weight of Foden had mine over weigh bridge Total weight all kitted out with / half tank juice and me in drivers seat

GVW 23080 KG

Rear Bogie 14740KG Front Axle 8340KG

Rear Bogie 13660KG Front Axle 9420KG with crane swivelled over cab

Any one know service weight of Foden had mine over weigh bridge Total weight all kitted out with / half tank juice and me in drivers seat

GVW 23080 KG

Rear Bogie 14740KG Front Axle 8340KG

Rear Bogie 13660KG Front Axle 9420KG with crane swivelled over cab

We were always told 27 Tonne but in reality it was more like 25, clearly that wasn't the case. Was yours weighed with all the bits cut off? I can't say many squaddies have had 1 on a weigh station.

We were always told 27 Tonne but in reality it was more like 25, clearly that wasn't the case. Was yours weighed with all the bits cut off? I can't say many squaddies have had 1 on a weigh station.

Yes just as its seen in last photo includes snatch blocks chains etc i think it will need

Took some pictures today for an advert also short piece of video. Thought i would put it on YouTube cant believe how slow it was to upload will this be my line speed that is slow or is it always like this first time i have uploaded anything for 4 years and was on dialup then still can not remember it taking that long 58 min for 38 sec Was trying to hold camera and work wireless remote same time hence quality of shot. By the way that is slow speed eg hauling in not the faster speed for taking in slack. Still got a lower speed by working levers manually

Edited by cosrec

Winch looks like it's working a treat there Steve.

Thanks i agree certainly did not sound to be working hard although never thought to jump up and look at pressure gauge i fitted. On the video it sounds like a cheap old electric winch as fitted to a slide bed. Well chuffed with the equipment. Looking forward to giving it some proper stick if i can get any jobs for it.

I think the machine i was hung on to is a Priestman Mustang 140 and at a guess weighs around 14 tons so its a fair old pull broadside with tracks locked

Edited by cosrec

Thanks i agree certainly did not sound to be working hard although never thought to jump up and look at pressure gauge i fitted. On the video it sounds like a cheap old electric winch as fitted to a slide bed. Well chuffed with the equipment. Looking forward to giving it some proper stick if i can get any jobs for it.

I think the machine i was hung on to is a Priestman Mustang 140 and at a guess weighs around 14 tons so its a fair old pull broadside with tracks locked

When the Fodens were due their first winch test, we had to use two Leyland Martian recovery wagons, with spades down and coupled nose to tail as anchors. Even then the Foden was pulling them, on checking the strain guage it was found to be pulling about 33 tonnes and still not cutting, so we had to calibrate them back to 25 tonnes. We worked out that the initial calibration at the factory had been worked out by testing to max on a full drum and an error had crept in, this theory was supported by the original certificate. So the vehicle is well capable.

When the Fodens were due their first winch test, we had to use two Leyland Martian recovery wagons, with spades down and coupled nose to tail as anchors. Even then the Foden was pulling them, on checking the strain guage it was found to be pulling about 33 tonnes and still not cutting, so we had to calibrate them back to 25 tonnes. We worked out that the initial calibration at the factory had been worked out by testing to max on a full drum and an error had crept in, this theory was supported by the original certificate. So the vehicle is well capable.

I am arranging proof loading for all equipment in the coming days will let you know how what it comes out at. I know i was not taxing it to any great extent but i did expect engine note to change when coming under load but no nothing. By the way thanks for advice in past i would not have been at this stage with out it

On the video you can see the soft strap used to link the winch rope to the shackle on the digger. This to me is a good example of how extreme the Mod are when quoting SWL. The soft strap is the one originally used to lift the underlift boom which i believe was rated at 8 ton max. When i fitted the hydraulics to the underlift i obviously had no use for it so removed it. it was inside a heavy material sleeve which i cut of. This revealed the actual polyester lifting strap which had wrote on it SWL 10 tons but when stitched inside the sleeve it was being used doubled eg 20 ton SWL. the stitch fabric around the sling shows 7 lines so it has a factor of safety * 7 so minimum breaking strain when used to lift 8 tons was 140 tons so it proves the Mod never erred on the side of being make do. Like i said on another post why use 1 wire/pipe when you can make 15 do the same job

On the video you can see the soft strap used to link the winch rope to the shackle on the digger. This to me is a good example of how extreme the Mod are when quoting SWL. The soft strap is the one originally used to lift the underlift boom which i believe was rated at 8 ton max. When i fitted the hydraulics to the underlift i obviously had no use for it so removed it. it was inside a heavy material sleeve which i cut of. This revealed the actual polyester lifting strap which had wrote on it SWL 10 tons but when stitched inside the sleeve it was being used doubled eg 20 ton SWL. the stitch fabric around the sling shows 7 lines so it has a factor of safety * 7 so minimum breaking strain when used to lift 8 tons was 140 tons so it proves the Mod never erred on the side of being make do. Like i said on another post why use 1 wire/pipe when you can make 15 do the same job

These strops are rated at 96 Tonnes for Army use, never understood why they had to be rated as such just to lift the underlift, they were never used for anything else.

On the video it sounds like a cheap old electric winch as fitted to a slide bed. Well chuffed with the equipment. Looking forward to giving it some proper stick if i can get any jobs for it.

Just had another look at the video with sound up, the whine from the winch sounds like all Rotzler winchs fitted to Fodens (got quite used to that sound). It wouldn't be pulling anywere near full capacity as it doesn't look like there's much rope out, maybe the angle the video is taken at, I'd would love to see it with a heavy 2:1 on it when you put it to work. Also once the revs are set you wouldn't hear that much of a significant change in engine tone. Looking good though :D

Edited by recymech66

• 2 weeks later...

Got a cast note for Foden today but only had quick peek before swopping for a reg number.

Heres What i gleaned

Army no 32KE80 date in service 1986 cast 01/2011 Cast from Ashchurch

Would love to know more of its History or see any photos in service. I know Ashchurch is were vehicles from Canada arrive but do vehicles from other overseas postings also arrive here.