Foden EKA Wrecker

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Managed to get a little done to Foden over the Xmas New year break. Hopefully by weekend underlift will be going up and down under its own steam (ops hydraulic pressure) with new radio remote wired in. But i am after a little info when i fitted extended bottom foot i found it extended retracted very slowly i feel i am going to have same problems with the up down rams for under lift. Is there any adjustment for speed of functions of individual spools on hydraulic valve block. On the back of the big main valve block there is a smaller block of four sections each piped in to various places with for adjusting screws that are lockwired could these control flow to individual spools here's hoping i can jog Richard Farrents memory once more.

Edited by cosrec

American MRE's. Some really nice and some really nasty like the cheese & macaroni. How's the Foden coming along?

Yes we warmed it up nobody fancied it gave it to the two heads of security we have one of them walked off in disgust

jaktess 006.jpg

Managed to get a little done to Foden over the Xmas New year break. Hopefully by weekend underlift will be going up and down under its own steam (ops hydraulic pressure) with new radio remote wired in. But i am after a little info when i fitted extended bottom foot i found it extended retracted very slowly i feel i am going to have same problems with the up down rams for under lift. Is there any adjustment for speed of functions of individual spools on hydraulic valve block. On the back of the big main valve block there is a smaller block of four sections each piped in to various places with four adjusting screws that are lockwired could these control flow/speed to individual spools here's hoping i can jog Richard Farrants memory once more.

put this on again as it got left on last page

Edited by cosrec
keyboard spelt it wrong

. On the back of the big main valve block there is a smaller block of four sections each piped in to various places with for adjusting screws that are lockwired could these control flow to individual spools here's hoping i can jog Richard Farrents memory once more.

Just spotted this, will try and reply this evening. Got to set my memory back a few years now !

No problem . Just noticed something else today there are two winch spools for the main recovery winch the one nearest the drivers side eg the first one on the bank of 4 has no solenoid associated to it but it is directly connected to these four lockwired valves i mentioned the second one on the bank of 8 valves has a solenoid piped to it. pulling the first spool valve lever the winch crawls around pull the other one it spins fairly fast. is the winch two speed and kicks down at a preset load ??. the hydraulic system seems to get more complicated the more i look at it

No problem . Just noticed something else today there are two winch spools for the main recovery winch the one nearest the drivers side eg the first one on the bank of 4 has no solenoid associated to it but it is directly connected to these four lockwired valves i mentioned the second one on the bank of 8 valves has a solenoid piped to it. pulling the first spool valve lever the winch crawls around pull the other one it spins fairly fast. is the winch two speed and kicks down at a preset load ??. the hydraulic system seems to get more complicated the more i look at it

Your questions are not easily answered, due to the removal of all the electro part of the system. Now to answer the second post first, re. main winch. those levers up on the deck, one slow, one fast, that is correct, as you will know, fast winch in for recovering the rope with no load on usually. As you normally use the remotes to operate the winch they had a toggle switch to select fast or slow and then use the winch control lever on remote console.

Regarding the other question, I am not absolutely sure what circuit / operation you were refering to, so if you could clarify, I will have a think about it. Problem is it is now over 15 years since I was doing the troubleshooting on them.

Hi thanks for getting back. The winch set up i have got my head round.

Re the two systems that seem very slow.The original bottom foot Extend / Retract ram was very small in diameter may be 3" across the replacement foot we make is the ram is nearer 6" hence the spool lever is operated it is very slow as the flow of oil to it is restricted somewhere. The original fold bottom foot ram was even smaller and i am trying to use this to power the up down rams for the boom Both 5" across. I have confirmed today that this is a painfully slow also. i have also noticed the spool for the winch slow speed and the spool for rear boogie blocking system (which has small diameter rams) are all built into the same bank of four valves e.g those nearest the drivers side. Is there anyway of increasing flow of oil to this bank of valves.

Hi thanks for getting back. The winch set up i have got my head round.

Re the two systems that seem very slow.The original bottom foot Extend / Retract ram was very small in diameter may be 3" across the replacement foot we make is the ram is nearer 6" hence the spool lever is operated it is very slow as the flow of oil to it is restricted somewhere. The original fold bottom foot ram was even smaller and i am trying to use this to power the up down rams for the boom Both 5" across. I have confirmed today that this is a painfully slow also. i have also noticed the spool for the winch slow speed and the spool for rear boogie blocking system (which has small diameter rams) are all built into the same bank of four valves e.g those nearest the drivers side. Is there anyway of increasing flow of oil to this bank of valves.

Ah, becoming clearer now, will have to study the drawing and see what I can work out. It may be that there is a restrictor in the spool valve to keep the particular ram from operating too fast, but will look deeper into that.

When you said bottom foot, I was thinking of the rear legs, but now understand.

cheers, Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update.

Foden had its first job last Thursday and all looking good. Called out to a crane wt 32 tons O/S wheels bogged in a recently filled in drain. laying at about 35 degrees whole underbelly bottomed out. Backed up fairly close and lifted rear end with crane well elevated hung main winch on and slewed and lifted rear of crane out of drain. Pulled forward re rigged and winched whole crane on to hard standing. whole job start to finish less than an hour.

Foden made it it look so simple and undramatic it was a bit of a let down. But it showed what a fantastic piece of kit it is. Sorry no pics as yet but i know some were taken and will post if i get them,

Fresh encouragement to get old lady finished and working properly

Bit of an update.

Foden had its first job last Thursday and all looking good. Called out to a crane wt 32 tons O/S wheels bogged in a recently filled in drain. laying at about 35 degrees whole underbelly bottomed out. Backed up fairly close and lifted rear end with crane well elevated hung main winch on and slewed and lifted rear of crane out of drain. Pulled forward re rigged and winched whole crane on to hard standing. whole job start to finish less than an hour.

Foden made it it look so simple and undramatic it was a bit of a let down. But it showed what a fantastic piece of kit it is. Sorry no pics as yet but i know some were taken and will post if i get them,

Fresh encouragement to get old lady finished and working properly

Good to hear.

A little anecdote, when they were first issued to units, (in our area that is), the winch test certificate was out of date. Army always tested annually, and initial test was done at factory. We had to set up two Leyland Recovery vehicles, with spades deployed and connect with a straight bar. Foden winch on bottom layer, pulled past the 25 tonne max, should have cut out, but kept pulling, reached 33 tonnes in a blink of the eye, still not cutting, (Leylands were not holding either) we had to reset this one and all subsequent Fodens. Problem was not with the vehicle, but the method of testing at the factory, which appeared to be theoretical. Have a copy of the original test somewhere.

• 1 month later...

Hi progress been slow but getting there. Crane and recovery side of things all but done just main winch two speed wiring to sort out and tee head to fabricate Plus a few more brackets for kit . Chassis wise about there. Cab still needs some tidying up. Main hold up has been cab wiring have been trying off and on now for about 2 months now to get every thing it should have in and working. Remember original cab had virtually nothing of any use in it apart from basic loom. Replacement cab had had little of original loom but did have a few switches and circuit breakers. So with the aid of the schematic wiring diagram in the glove box the indicator/washer/headlamp stalks and ignition switch of a MAN truck + some novel wiring/ circuitry of my own this side of it is about 95% done. As for pics sorry i have not posted any i know some were taken of the crane job plus some more from about 5 other reasonably big jobs it has been to recently but keep forgetting to ask lad who took them for his phone. Mental note will rectify this week Only yesterday was taking about getting it touched up here and there with shot blaster ready for painting money dictates will be retaining its original colour scheme Nato green. Went away for a week to canaries recently and bought a new digital camera So will sort some pictures of truck as it stands now.

Edited by cosrec

Foden EKA called in to do some yard duties so thought i could try camera out. On one picture shows new ram arrangement on under lift it does lift higher. State of play in cab. That thing on the back is called a goose neck and weighs about 8tons. Unloaded of a truck and carried to wash bay before shot blasting. when that happens will get Foden done at same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Pics show under lift now its been shot blasted i thing i looks a lot more workman like still got to give a good testing though. Also simplified wiring in main control box. the orange box on the side is the new remote. should get this wiring tidied up and boxed up over the next few days

phonephotos 117.jpg

phonephotos 118.jpg

phonephotos 119.jpg

phonephotos 122.jpg

phonephotos 121.jpg

in need of a little more help any body know how the turn table oiler works have had a look cant seem to work it out the button on the operators platform seized but i am more interest in where it gets its oil feed from as i cant seem to trace it back

There's a small reservoir on top of the turntable isn't there Steve? I think it's air operated from memory, operate the switch with your foot and you should hear the lubricant spraying out. I remember the name of the lubricant it was called Molydag.
many thanks i was working the wrong way round thinking it got its supply from some where on the hydraulic side to fill the tank will have another go