Modern equivalent of OM15 oil

machine mart do a 30 grade oil at a good price which would be fine for a ferret cheap enough to change every year lets be honest most ferret do a max of 400 miles a year if that!, also look at size of oil filter fitted and its surface area and do a filter wash in petrol every two oil changes.

Edited by griff66

machine mart do a 30 grade oil at a good price which would be fine for a ferret cheap enough to change every year lets be honest most ferret do a max of 400 miles a year if that!, also look at size of oil filter fitted and its surface area and do a filter wash in petrol every two oil changes.

The machine mart stuff is a compressor oil. Even with low mileage, is it suitable? What is the actual spec, additives etc, does it give any info on the bottle? I've use morris classic oil in mine.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/compressor-oil-sae-30

The machine mart stuff is a compressor oil. Even with low mileage, is it suitable? What is the actual spec, additives etc, does it give any info on the bottle? I've use morris classic oil in mine.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/compressor-oil-sae-30

Look a bit further on Machine Mart website, they have SAE 30 Engine oil, suitable for 4 stroke engines. Cannot say it is much cheaper than Comma Classic 30 from motor factors though, and that is a good oil.

Look a bit further on Machine Mart website, they have SAE 30 Engine oil, suitable for 4 stroke engines. Cannot say it is much cheaper than Comma Classic 30 from motor factors though, and that is a good oil.

I see it now:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/sae30-oil-5-litres/path/oils-and-lubricants

18 per 5 litres. so £54 for 15 litres. When I got a 25 litre drum of morris they had 20% off which made it quite reasonable.

http://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=165&product=Golden+Film+SAE+30+Classic+Motor+Oil

Now it's 91 for a 25 litre drum - 18.28 per 5 litre, so about the same, pound for pound.

MT

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am new to hmvf but not to miltary vehicles having served in the Army in AFV's and other. My son bought a Saracen a couple of months ago and we have been renewing the ignition. Cut a long story short it went well but we are now on the oils subject. I read all on this forum and others ref om 13. It was this it was that it was ISO 15.

I thought ok, no one really knows. I ended up concidering the ISO 15 thread. This then ended when I became fed up searching.

I wonder if Shell Oil could help. HQ Shell gave me the number for their customer service. Ring ring ring. Hello sir says a chap in India, can I help. Oh well, in for a penny in for a laugh. Ok I am trying to find an oil equivilant for Army oil OM 13, Yes sir, no problem you need Aeroshell Number one. This is the exact equivalent to OM13. Heres a number for the distibutor.

He was 100% correct. I contacted the distibutor, he checked the spec sheet and yes that's what we want, order placed job done. He sent the spec sheet which indeed showed the different specifications and there was OM13.

Why an aero oil? simple again. There are a lot of vintage aircraft flying which need the old oils thats it.

If you would like to check other oils OMD110, OM13 OM15 give me a ring I will give you all the contact details and send the spec sheets for OM13 if you would like.

Michael 01736 365336 or the16th5thlancer@yahoo.co.uk

What is the modern equivalent of OM15 oil, or an off the shelf product like an EP80, ATM, LHM gearbox oil. This is for the Ferret fluid flywheel but cant seem to get a definite answer as to what can be used.:undecided:

In connection with my last post on oils, I managed to get back into the laberinth of Shell Oils and copied the Specs address which is http://www.shell.com/home/content/aviation/news_and_library/publications/aeroshell_book/ This will take you to the relevent page to enter. Each oil has its Mil and NATO specs. I hope this will help as well, the national contact is

Liám Tuft

Customer Services

Sil-Mid Limited

Tel: 01675 432850

Fax: 01675 432870

www.silmid.co.uk

I have found them very friendly

In connection with my last post on oils, I managed to get back into the laberinth of Shell Oils and copied the Specs address which is http://www.shell.com/home/content/aviation/news_and_library/publications/aeroshell_book/ This will take you to the relevent page to enter. Each oil has its Mil and NATO specs. I hope this will help as well, the national contact is

Liám Tuft

Customer Services

Sil-Mid Limited

Tel: 01675 432850

Fax: 01675 432870

www.silmid.co.uk

I have found them very friendly

Hi Michael,

This subject rears up occasionally re. OM13, I would be interested to know how much a 25 litre drum of Aeroshell No.1 costs, as anything related to aviation usually comes at a premium and of a standard in excess of the requirements needed for a fluid flywheel or Saracen brake and steering system. I am well aquainted with the army oil designations having been involved with military and their vehicles for many years. I once spoke to Morris Lubricants and they advised to use their Liquimatic oil of ISO10 grade, which I have used over the years in a range of vehicles with no problems.

Incidentally, OM15 is a "superclean" oil not issued to the army, only Navy and RAF as it is for aircraft hydraulics.

regards, Richard