The Sultan`s Armed Forces Museum, Muscat, Oman

Last weekend, I managed to break from my work in the Arabian Gulf and spent a glorious weekend in the capitol of Oman – Muscat. While reading through the tourist information in the hotel, I came across a mention of the Sultan`s Armed Forces Museum. Frankly, the write-up was very brief (I had not discovered their web page at that time) and, my expectations not too great. How wrong I was.

The following is therefore a short report on my visit including, some typical images of the outdoor exhibits (the internal displays are of similar quality). Hope you find it informative and of interest.

The museum is conveniently located, just off Bayt-Al-Falaj Street in Ruwi District (one of the main N-S highways running through the City) and, easy to access by taxi or personal car. Oman is very civilised for driving – generally quiet roads and well-behaved drivers! Passing through a brief security check, we made the short drive to the car park and pulled-up next to the Ferret `gate guard` before walking up to the reception hall.

Even the museum building itself has its own history. The structure was originally an operational fort (Bayt-Al-Falaj Fort) which, due to its importance eventually became the army HQ. As with all good defensive positions designed to resist siege, the fort even has its own water supply direct from the nearby mountains !

Paying the nominal entry fee, we were warmly welcomed and assigned our guide for the visit - Staff Sgt Youseff. He is a former helicopter crew-member and, knowledgeable museum guide who patiently answered all my questions throughout our time there.

The museum indoor displays trace Oman`s military – and indeed countries history from Persian Empire times through to the present day. Many graphical displays / maps, weapons (blade / firearms), uniforms, equipment and model dioramas are spread-out through the numerous rooms leading off the main corridoors.

Due to the extent of the larger museum items ( the vehicles, aircraft, small ships and, full size dioramas), the `hardware` is by necessity located out of doors. The weather was a bit hot (45 degrees C) at the time of the visit, but nothing that a good sun hat would not cure. If you can chose your timing however, then I would recommend the cooler season October–March and, allow at least 2 hours - probably closer to 3hrs, to take everything - in.

The outdoor display area is very attractive with lots of leafy shrubs and cover. The exhibits themselves are quite large and the authorities clearly went to a lot of effort to restore and transport them to this location. The exhibits fall into the following categories:

· Army and Royal Guard : the emphasis is 1960`s and onwards – with a heavy bias to British-equipment. Notably, the Royal Guard exhibits and the Sultan`s Limo`s have special sun covers ! The displays also include several full-sized dioramas with an army of manequins in current uniforms. All dioramas are fully accessible / walk through and include a fighting position, two different command posts and artillery battery`s.

· Royal Air Force : The aircraft selection is more international - though again, with a strong British influence.

· Royal Navy : This included 2 vessels – a wooden dhow-type vessel (not unlike the current fishing vessels in the region) and, a very recent looking surface-surface missile boat. I did enjoy climbing aboard and looking over what appeared to be quite modern weaponary and systems

Finishing-off the tour, we made our way back to the reception area, where we engaged in some interesting conversation with the other serving staff members – plus of course the customary visit to the souvenir shop !

As I found-out when leaving, the museum has a modest web page ( www.safmuseum.gov.om ), and I suggest you check on that for further information.

Overall therefore, a very nice quality museum into which a lot of thought and effort has been invested – both in terms of setting-up and maintaining. If you visit Muscat and, you want to find out more about Oman`s history - then a visit to the Sultan`s Armed Forces Museum will not disappoint.

Cheers

Steve 82

Saladin

DSC01434.jpg

Ferret

DSC01436.jpg

Armoured Car

DSC01435.jpg

Chieftan

DSC01440.jpg

Bedford ?

DSC01437.jpg

Mk III - Desert

DSC01438.jpg

Mk III Ambulance

DSC01442.jpg

LR Mk III Fire Tender

DSC01453.jpg

Land Cruiser

DSC01464.jpg

Landy half-track - front

DSC01465.jpg

Landy half-track – side

DSC01466.jpg

Armoured Car

DSC01468.jpg

Edited by Steve 82

Part 2

Iltis

DSC01471.jpg

FC soft-top

DSC01469.jpg

I want one of these for doing the shopping…..Panhard VBL

DSC01475.jpg

The Sultan`s Limos

DSC01472.jpg

Command Post – External

DSC01430.jpg

Command post (one of the rooms)

DSC01433.jpg

Battery

DSC01443.jpg

Bell

DSC01454.jpg

Beaver

DSC01445.jpg

Hunter

DSC01452.jpg

Strikemaster

DSC01450.jpg

Provost T Mk52

DSC01451.jpg

Skyvan -1

DSC01446.jpg

Skyvan – 2

DSC01449.jpg

Skyvan – 3

DSC01447.jpg

Edited by Steve 82

The Saxon variant appears to have the driving position reversed from what I recall in the UK usage. Cana anyone comment to that?

The Centaur half track is very interesting as only a handful of those exist.

The Land Rovers appear to be based on Pinkies but are lacking some kit, wonder what a more detailed set of pics would reveal, i'm wondering if they were left behind by MOD?

The 101 Ambulance reminds me of the Santana version of the same vehicle.

Nice museum when you consider the size of the country.

R

The Saxon variant appears to have the driving position reversed from what I recall in the UK usage. Cana anyone comment to that?

The Centaur half track is very interesting as only a handful of those exist.

The Land Rovers appear to be based on Pinkies but are lacking some kit, wonder what a more detailed set of pics would reveal, i'm wondering if they were left behind by MOD?

The 101 Ambulance reminds me of the Santana version of the same vehicle.

Nice museum when you consider the size of the country.

R

Yes the UK spec Saxon driving position is on the right side.

• 2 years later...