Scammell Explorer

Scammell Explorer going for scrap = £2,000 (as advertised in recent "Scammell Register" magazine). The same chap also has a Pioneer gearbox. Cab needs rebuilt, also radiator leaks, Meadows petrol engine, but Leyland diesel engine available for conversion. Located near Londonderry. I have been sent some pics of the Explorer so if anyone wants to see them, PM me and I'll e-mail them to you. It would be a shame to see it being converted to razor blades!

My pleasure mate ! Hope it helps to save at least some of her if she is to meet her ancestors shortly !:cry:

Who do we contact....................wondering if its a possible source for parts..........but I'll hold off is case anyone gets the courage to do a complete restoration

John,

S Ireland

£2000 seems expensive given the state of it. Scrap price would drop lots if you left the 6 tyres on it. I hope someone can do a deal on it, either to restore, or even just for parts. It would be a real shame to melt it down. Sadly it's too far for me to collect, unless someone might know of anyone needing a return load to East Sussex!

Jules

£2000 seems expensive given the state of it. Scrap price would drop lots if you left the 6 tyres on it. I hope someone can do a deal on it, either to restore, or even just for parts. It would be a real shame to melt it down. Sadly it's too far for me to collect, unless someone might know of anyone needing a return load to East Sussex!

Jules

You would be quite surprised at how much all that phosphor bronze is worth in the rear worm and wheel !

You would be quite surprised at how much all that phosphor bronze is worth in the rear worm and wheel !

The input shaft is steel, and the differential gear is phosphor bronze. Your welcome to take it all to bits for a couple of hundred pounds at best, but personally I can think of better uses for such parts, and better uses for my time too!

Jules

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi all, I'm new to these forums. I have a general love of all things Scammell.... I've haven't got as far as purchasing one yet but hopefully one day...

The Scammell Explorer in these pictures was a recovery truck used by Marsden Recovery based in Lisburn, Northern Ireland. They had two of them at one stage! Amazing machines!!! I have a picture of them taken in their glory at the local Major's Parade.

Unfortunately they sold the Explorers long before I can remember, but in my youth I remember walking past the front of their yard breaking my neck for nosy at the beasts they had on show!

I would love to get an update on what happened to this machine.... some one out there will hopeful know..

+ fingers crossed it wasn't the scrap man! :-(

Mark.