Stolen Weapons -- VE day at Cobbaton

scott9643

"Just to clarify a point -- the photos submited to the Police were of people and vehicles that could not be explained. There was no intention to name and shame people who to all intents and purposes could have been perfectly innocent how ever suspicious it may seem that nobody who has been questioned so far appeared to know them, they pitched thier tents at around 20.30 (the time they were caught on camera) and they were seen packing up and disappearing at around seven in the morning"

So what's the harm in putting a pic up then ? if no accusations are made then it may just be a " heads up " to others at events.

After all... we do share our pics of events :)

Could the pics not be sent via PM to anyone who may want to see them ?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So what's the harm in putting a pic up then ? if no accusations are made then it may just be a " heads up " to others at events.

After all... we do share our pics of events :)

See post #9 it's in the hands of the Police. :yawn:

Could the pics not be sent via PM to anyone who may want to see them ?

Contact Preston if you want to see the Photos. HMVF does NOT want to be involved that could lead to any legal action against us.

I contacted Preston to see if he wanted anything added to this thread but no reply..

See post #9 it's in the hands of the Police. :yawn:

Contact Preston if you want to see the Photos. HMVF does NOT want to be involved that could lead to any legal action against us.

I contacted Preston to see if he wanted anything added to this thread but no reply..

Well said Lee.

I can see the interest in collecting deactivated weapons, however if you publicly show them, you should be treating them as if they were live weapons, might sound a bit extreme, but imagine the alternative, if some idiots turned up in a town/airport, wherever toting numerous AK47's. Don't be surprised if our hobby disappears overnight!.

Sorry to hear about the theft, i hope the weapons are retrieved soon.

What is the investigating officers position on posting the pictures within this forum, as an aid to identifying persons to help with enquiries? its a good chance the people responsible have been scoping out the MV circuit previously.

Edited by Adam Elsdon

I can see the interest in collecting deactivated weapons, however if you publicly show them, you should be treating them as if they were live weapons, might sound a bit extreme, but imagine the alternative, if some idiots turned up in a town/airport, wherever toting numerous AK47's. Don't be surprised if our hobby disappears overnight!<br><br>Sorry to hear about the theft, i hope the weapons are retrieved soon.<br>What is the investigating officers position on posting the pictures within this forum, as an aid to identifying persons to help with enquiries? its a good chance the people responsible have been on the MV circuit previously.

Silly question but when a weapon has been deactivated is it still classed as a weapon in the eyes of the law. I only make that point because its not the kind of headline that you want to see in the national press.

If you walked down a street in any town in the land, with for example a deactivated Lee Enfield rifle, or Webley revolver (Outside of a special event) you can expect to have the Police Armed Response types on you in a very short time, getting very shouty!

Until the weapon has been examined to confirm its status, how is an officer supposed to know its not real.

If you walked down a street in any town in the land, with for example a deactivated Lee Enfield rifle, or Webley revolver (Outside of a special event) you can expect to have the Police Armed Response types on you in a very short time, getting very shouty!

Until the weapon has been examined to confirm its status, how is an officer supposed to know its not real.

I was thinking more on the lines that once it has been confirmed as deactivated it isn't considered to be a firearm just a lump of metal

But a lump of metal that looks identical to a real firearm!

Andy

I had the armed response team turn up at my place of work because someone was silly enough to be riding around in a Jeep with a machine pistol hanging on the back ( Plastic, but looking very real.) and that was not the first time that he had attracted the attention of the police............. it really does not do our image much good where the authorities are concerned, I was not impressed.

Very sorry to hear of the theft of your arms, but not surprised in the least!

I've been involved one way or another for a very long time now with steam, landrover bike and country rallies up & down the country, this is my first, last and only season with military!

At events the mili's seem to me to be very cliquey, little groups, the 'Brits' are seperate to the White stars, the Landrovers seem often to be a seperate entity entirely, and I get the distinct impression no one would really look out for another section until something happens,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, then its too late!!

This doe'snt seem to be the case with, say stationary engines, tractors, civi vehicles etc, they all mix together easier, o.k. you always get the odd awkward sod, but a prime example was earlier this year when my batteries died, it was the CIVI landrovers who could'nt do enough to help, bugger all help from any-one in our section!

Next year I will still have an ex-mil 24v 109, but it will go in the civi Landrover section, and I'l be displaying the vintage machinery instead.

As for the public's attitude to letting their brats climb all over our vehicles, adults are just as bad by the way, do you perhaps think because they still look military they think they still have a stake in them as tax payer's?

One 'Father' even thought it o.k. to let his 8y/o walk off WITH HIM well away from my display wearing a mk8 helmet, I would not have got it back if I had'nt noticed in time and given chase!

That kid is going to grow up very confused with parents like that!

My boy once parked his Can Am 500 still in NATO green, out-side a supermarket, only to come out to find a women letting her kids play on it, she was less than appologetic saying she thought it belonged to the Army!!

I do hope you get your items back, and get the culprits!

I'm glad the forums are not the same!

Edited by 83KB62

I think the public does see all military vehicles as fair game in respect to climbing all over them. They must think that as they have paid for them then why shouldn't they let there little brats climb all over them. Lack of respect

Yep the military world can be very clique I don't know why but once you make the effort to talk to them they seem o.k.

I had the armed response team turn up at my place of work because someone was silly enough to be riding around in a Jeep with a machine pistol hanging on the back ( Plastic, but looking very real.) and that was not the first time that he had attracted the attention of the police............. it really does not do our image much good where the authorities are concerned, I was not impressed.

That is one of the reasons why it has to be covered up. My brother decided to walk home many moons ago without the cover for my air rifle the police didn't take to kindly to that... understandable.

Edited by ferrettkitt

Very sorry to hear of the theft of your arms, but not surprised in the least!

I've been involved one way or another for a very long time now with steam, landrover bike and country rallies up & down the country, this is my first, last and only season with military!

At events the mili's seem to me to be very cliquey, little groups, the 'Brits' are seperate to the White stars, the Landrovers seem often to be a seperate entity entirely, and I get the distinct impression no one would really look out for another section until something happens,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, then its too late!!

This doe'snt seem to be the case with, say stationary engines, tractors, civi vehicles etc, they all mix together easier, o.k. you always get the odd awkward sod, but a prime example was earlier this year when my batteries died, it was the CIVI landrovers who could'nt do enough to help, bugger all help from any-one in our section!

Next year I will still have an ex-mil 24v 109, but it will go in the civi Landrover section, and I'l be displaying the vintage machinery instead.

As for the public's attitude to letting their brats climb all over our vehicles, adults are just as bad by the way, do you perhaps think because they still look military they think they still have a stake in them as tax payer's?

One 'Father' even thought it o.k. to let his 8y/o walk off WITH HIM well away from my display wearing a mk8 helmet, I would not have got it back if I had'nt noticed in time and given chase!

That kid is going to grow up very confused with parents like that!

My boy once parked his Can Am 500 still in NATO green, out-side a supermarket, only to come out to find a women letting her kids play on it, she was less than appologetic saying she thought it belonged to the Army!!

I do hope you get your items back, and get the culprits!

I'm glad the forums are not the same!

Sorry I cannot agree, we have a fantastic group of military restorers / enthusiasts who are a fantastic group of like minded individuals who cannot do enough for each other. I will relate but one example of the sort of people that I have the good fortune to mix with. We were travelling back from Arnhem,Holland to catch our ferry at Europort when one of our members noticed a Jeep on the other side of the auto-route on a services, with his bonnet up. Our guy (Chris) left the auto-route at the next junction and travelled back to what he thought was a stricken Jeep. I had told him that I thought that the Jeep was probably only checking his oil, but he insisted. The journey involved going back some ten miles or so, only to find that the Jeep had indeed gone, he then had to travel some eight miles or so to the next junction in order to turn around, involving some 36 miles out of his way, just because he wanted to be sure that the "stranger" was not stranded. I can relate many such incidents, usually involving this man, and if that is not being friendly and 110% committed to your fellow friends and the hobby in general, then I dont know what is............ actually I could write a book about this mans good deeds, and he is supported by his friends, including myself. I can only suggest that perhaps you may need to relocate, in our direction.

Terry I'm sorry you have such a low opinion of MV enthusiasts. But people can be helpful if they know there is a real problem, you will recall you spent half a day at my place when I sorted out your ignition problems but at the time I didn't know you from Adam. For all I knew you could have also owned a Jeep & a GMC :D

I carry a large bag of electrical test equipment with me to most shows for the explicit purpose of helping people with electrical problems. The last time the bag was in action was to help sort a problem on a WW2 vehicle.

It is inevitable that people with similar vehicles of similar eras will gravitate to each other. Very often they have been seeing each other at shows for years. It easy for someone new to the scene to feel excluded. Not because of active discrimination but people in clubs & groups of any sort are not good at recognising newcomers. But that first show you went to I only knew about half of them by sight, but there were several people new to me who I ended up talking to.

Other than at very small gatherings, you are unlikely to get vehicle owners going round introducing themselves to someone they haven't seen before unless they happen to be parked next to you. I doesn't necessarily mean they dislike you but they may not be drawn to your vehicle because it holds no particular interest for them. All our interests are different, on another thread someone said that a shedfull of tanks was far more interesting than a shedfull of Land Rovers & Bedfords. To me the attraction is the other way around!

I think you may have given up a bit too easily :D

You might be right about the cliquey little groups, but don't tell me it's not the same in the 'put put club', tractors, Landrovers, Fire Engines or whatever -- it doesn't matter where your interests lie, there will always be those who take it way too seriously and those who don't give a monkeys, and you'll find the two don't always mix. Likewise, those people with American vehicles tend to congregate as do people with British, Russian or whatever, and I don't see that any different to the one marque car clubs.

You've had a bad experience if you feel MV owners don't help each other out -- can't share your view I'm afraid! We make friends everywhere we go and I'd like to think that the majority would rather help out than leave you in a jam -- we would do the same! -- like the time we spent several hours pulling cars and commercials out of a rally site one wet and miserable weekend

I went to buy some Deep Bronze Green paint for my MV and the vendor (an ardent MV enthusiast) said 'what are you going to do with that? -- "I'm going to paint my Scammell" says I -- 'What? shiny green? -- well no one will talk to you" he warned -- "Oh good!" I said -- "...can I have two tins?" and we now regularly get comments like 'when are you going to flog that crap and buy a WW2 vehicle' All part of the fun and good banter, but it says to me 'come and join us -- not on yer bike!

We've got a milly Land Rover as well and I don't agree that they are a seperate entity or even treated as a seperate entity -- once you've got over the fact it's not a jeep (no sorry -- that's me taking the pee) I think you need to lighten up a bit -- we take the whole thing just like Oddball from (Kellys Heroes) ....eating cheese, drinking a little wine, taking in some rays! -- it's a fun hobby, but you have to join in if you want to make the best of it.

Terry,

Just at the point when I came close to giving up the hobby altogether, I found myself at an event where I parked with some other MVs out of vague brotherhood. As soon as I got out of my MUTT I got insulted by another MV owner and his mate - and I mean insulted - not joshing - over my choice of MV. It wasn't WW2 and it wasn't greeen. I've been involved with this forum for quite some time now and the cliques thing ping-pongs into threads - showing how HMVF works so positively to combat that sort of rubbish. All this poor example of behaviour did was make me appreciate the friends I have in the wider hobby - dressing up, dressing down, post war, WW2 yank etc, etc. So walking away after one bad experience is not the best idea. It takes all kinds. The good outweigh the bad a thousand-fold. Stick with us.

MB

I am very new to this hobby and feel it only right to give another newbies view ...

I have attended a number of shows during this year both as a spectator & a participant but usually with family in tow that is not yet willing to actively "join in". so we have for this reason camped at the last event slightly away from the main MV campment...never the less we where made to feel very welcome even though i knew very few members and those i did know only met briefly....There is a clique at some events but if your prepared to show an interest and say hello then people are very warm indeed even to us Land Rover 90 owners....;) Indeed at 1 show with a small MV section the people where very welcoming indeed (smallwood Steam rally) and i will be trying very hard to attend this show in the future..

I have also managed to attend my local MVT meeting, (manchester) only once so far due to work commitments and was also made to feel welcome...I am not the most outgoing person in the world so didnt chat to everyone there but nevertheless can honestly say i was made welcome...i even won a raffle prize of a bottle of wine...i couldnt attend the last event although i did intend too due to the very close proximately of the Manchester riots that kicked of that evening...

i also would like to speak out for the forum members both on here and other MV sites who i personally have found to be very willing to advise and help...not everyone.. agreed... but thats life....Clive in particular has given me guidance both on here and EMLRA for example....

To sum up, if you put effort in, you are rewarded by the response back, if you dont want or are unwilling to make an effort you will get less back...

I for 1 am really enjoying being a part, although a very new part of the MV scene !

thanks

Mike

Was thinking about this over the weekend.

May be the hobby needs an datebase of vehicles - reg plate, chassis numbers and pictures and the same for weapons - serial numbers etc etc. So the hobby has a database where folks can register their collections.

If something is missing it can be instantly sent around the world for people to keep their eyes open and to cross reference 'ownership'?

Very true Jack (Oh Gawd,Jacks off ,again!) Serial numbers and photos, stored on a secure database. As long as it a private thing I can't see the data protection act being a problem. There would need to be one designated person who has acces and an agreement as to when and what information is released. The local crime prevention officer may have some suggestions. A simple form such as the HMVF vehicle form would be ideal, would be worth approching the insurance companies as well, after all they would benifit as well.

Was thinking about this over the weekend.

May be the hobby needs an datebase of vehicles - reg plate, chassis numbers and pictures and the same for weapons - serial numbers etc etc. So the hobby has a database where folks can register their collections.

If something is missing it can be instantly sent around the world for people to keep their eyes open and to cross reference 'ownership'?

Bl**Dy hell Jack - your memory is getting seriously bad mate. There is such a very thing in progress now - as discussed some time back with you and Joris - that will be handed over to HMVF once my MSc is over and done with. Working on the Java interfaces right now (tea break time!!)

Terry,Just at the point when I came close to giving up the hobby altogether, I found myself at an event where I parked with some other MVs out of vague brotherhood. As soon as I got out of my MUTT I got insulted by another MV owner and his mate - and I mean insulted - not joshing - over my choice of MV. It wasn't WW2 and it wasn't greeen.MB
Hi mate,You think you had a problem, my Hotchkiss is Americanised or was before I britishised it......LOLRegardsPaul

How about using this free service, http://www.immobilise.com/about.html and get everybody with a deac to register it, basically it is a property register, if your property has a serial number that can be checked, it can be put onto the database, if the Police are notified of the theft, let them know it has been registered, if it turns up it can be checked against the database and it will be returned to the owner.

This could be a good way to make an organised attempt at maintaining a record of deactivated weapons without getting bogged down in a morass of unnecessary red tape, and if you sell them on, you can log in and change the details.

The database can be checked for a small fee to check that the item belongs to the seller, and photos plus a description can be added if required.

Could go a long way to appease the scaremongers if the hobby takes the issue by the horns before somebody in government does it.....

PM if you want more info