Advice required please

ArtistsRifles

Question

OK folks I have something more than a slight problem right now and could use some advice.

Just over 2 years ago I left my Landrover 109" FFR in a secure storage area to be repainted. When it went it was running fine and intact.

Problems with the Stolly kept me away till just after W&P this year - when I finally got back there I found to my horror over £900 worth of either damage or missing parts inc. the chassis ID plate from the drivers seat box. The cost of damage has been determined by checking Paddocks and Craddock's websites for those parts identified as missing or damaged.

So - as it stands right now my Landie is a pile of scrap with no ID as there is no way I can afford to repair/replace £900 worth of parts.

Questions I have are:

The keys were left with an individual and, last time I saw it, the vehicle it was locked up. The fact it is now unlocked suggests that the key holder has been complicit in what has occurred - do any of you legal experts out there know if this person can be held liable for whats been done? I have managed -eventually - to contact the person to get the keys returned and was assured they would be placed in the vehicle. This has not in fact happened.

Is this something that insurance will cover or is the fact it was in allegedly secure storage going to be a let-out clause (Insured with Footman James).

It's not been reported to the police yet - it will be this week unless a miracle happens in the mean time but I'd like to know where I stand as the ones believed responsible were ones I thought of as friends and I hate being taken for a sucker!!

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Just back in from the nearest Essex nick - details taken & crime number issued.

They didn't seem overly bothered by the missing chassis plate so I did make the point I don't want to start copping some else's tickets 'cos my vehicles been cloned!

Now to start looking at trying to make good the damage if I can - got a couple of contacts from the forum to ring - and to try and find somewhere else to put it as I do the work. Right now I suspect that as fast as I fix things more will be done if it stays where it is...

Update - just posted this and then the phone rang - a police officer is coming tomorrow night to take statements etc.

Edited by ArtistsRifles

Neil

Don't have much on your list that will help get it moving again.

However I do have a spare "domed" washer and bolt (allen bolt?) for mounting the wing box (could be metric or imperial no idea) and a spare Clansman tuning unit (no idea if it works or not, but it ain't trashed) if they are of any use.

Mike

since the W&P Neil more petrol has been drained from my RL in the FORT from the drain plug under the tank im strongly thinking of calling the plod too. I know where its going just cant prove it but ill break his f***ing fingers if i catch the ****.

since the W&P Neil more petrol has been drained from my RL in the FORT from the drain plug under the tank im strongly thinking of calling the plod too. I know where its going just cant prove it but ill break his f***ing fingers if i catch the ****.

Want me to mention this to the police officers tomorrow Dave?? If you want them to talk to you too - PM me your phone no and/or address and I'll pass it on. This has to stop mate!! Either that or we have to find somewhere else to store our vehicles - which may well be a lot harder to achieve..

Fred said the GG was at the Fire museum show - still no fuel allowance been paid by the committee - the other weekend and sounding bl**dy awful too. The guess is the servicing that was supposed to have been done - hasn't!!

Option 1 set up a camera to try and catch then in the act then go to plod. Or leave some bait, Like a full petrol can out in sight and stay the night. If he comes pilfering show him a crowbar across the back of his hand.

Its not making the Fort look good is it, its sounding like a right thieves den. Pity you can't move elsewhere

Sadly this is true - and yet the Fort per se is not causing the problems. Just a certain minority.

To relocate would mean finding a home for at least 2 109" Landies, a 101 ambulance, a Pig, a K9 (these two only temporarily), a Stalwart and a Saladin to start with. The K6 tipper and the Green Goddess were given to the Fort but there is at least one QL, possibly two and another Austin, can't recall what though. Plus all the spares.....

I might have some panel switches. I have several gear sticks but not sure if its the straight one that you need from a series 3 that only has the bend at the bottom? I would imagine the gear gate pattern on the knob has worn off all of them though but you are more than welcome to have one if it helps.

You might be lucky with the key side of things, Land rover sometimes didn't snap the tamper proof heads off the bolts securing the steering lock to the coloum. If they have,use a good pointy punch and tap them round to undo. I think a new ignition lock / barrel is about £100 though:embarrassed: But at least you can get it shifted

Thanks Mike - offer is much appreciated. I have a couple of numbers to ring from the chaps here to see I what I can get from those sources.

I'll get back to you after that this if thats OK????

Neil

No problems, just let me know if/when you still need them.

Mike

Thanks both!!

First priority is to get it to start (so - a starter motor first of all..) so it can be loaded on a trailer and removed - if no where else then I'll have to jam up the front garden (O/H will just love that....) Luckily (I guess) both batteries were shot when I parked her in the fort so I don't have to add the cost of those to the butchers bill. I do need to determine what else has been done as I've no desire to have things go up in a shower of sparks or worse because electrical leads have been yanked off and left lying loose.

You might be lucky with the key side of things, Land rover sometimes didn't snap the tamper proof heads off the bolts securing the steering lock to the coloum. If they have,use a good pointy punch and tap them round to undo. I think a new ignition lock / barrel is about £100 though:embarrassed: But at least you can get it shifted

I think steering locks were omitted on mil spec Land Rovers, at least mine does not have one, either that or it is broken.

Genuine ones are about £100 but can get a pattern one cheaper.

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/10193/4248/1/QRF100880-STEERING-COLUMN-LOCK-.html

Mike

I worked at place where a neighbour was nicking disiel. So I got an old jerrycan, mixed in the sweepings from the workshop floor, old paint thinners, emery dust and swarf from grinding. Then I filled a tractor outside the workshop and drove off 'Forgetting' one can. It was with great delight I later saw said numpty at the side of the road with the bonnet up on his three month old pickup truck. :D

I worked at place where a neighbour was nicking disiel. So I got an old jerrycan, mixed in the sweepings from the workshop floor, old paint thinners, emery dust and swarf from grinding. Then I filled a tractor outside the workshop and drove off 'Forgetting' one can. It was with great delight I later saw said numpty at the side of the road with the bonnet up on his three month old pickup truck. :D

Thats a good one :laugh: Al Edited by Big Al
Wording

Love it Tony!! :cool2:

I love a story with a happy ending:D Did you have a good think what to put in the can or just grab what was to hand?

Oh it was a thought out planned revenge. The man was a pin the backside, we could never quite pin anything on him. My boss loathed the sight of him. For three days all the swarf from any grinding was carfully collected, used thinner was preserved, and talk was insigated in his hearing of that moaning contract I'd got to do over the weekend, got to fuel up Friday afternoon and take the tractor home, etc, etc,. We added a couple of pints of disiel to get the smell right then did a 'rush' job on Friday afternoon to get me away, forgetting to take the last can back inside. The plan was to stop the engine properly, so about a dustpan full of grinding swarf went in, most of it as I recall from the refurbishing of a liquid muck tanker going to Windsor Polo club.

So - latest update - Essex constabulary pooped over tonight and took full statement, details and costs of what is done plus the before and after photo's. He said he needs to talk to his Sergeant tomorrow as the evidence is not solid and will let me know what is going to happen - maybe it will be nothing, maybe if they feel there is enough to stand up some one will be feeling the bracelets going on...

We can but hope. Meantime - the hunt goes on for an alternative place to keep the Landie whilst it is assessed and, if possible repaired.

Just had a phone call from the police officer who called last night - he told me they did not feel there was enough to go and question/arrest/charge the person(s) involved as the evidence was all circumstantial - no visual sightings of parts being removed, no CCTV footage etc.

They are going to try and get the keys back for me though so at least I may not have to change all the lock barrels and find an new isolator key - although I won't hold my breath on this.......

Well.. No sign of the keys so I guessing they've been binned or worse. The ignition and door locks aren't too much of a problem - but there is a battery isolator fitted that uses one of the big red nylon keys. Gonna have to find a pair of them too I guess.

Good news though is thanks to the overwhelming generosity of the folks here and on EMLRA I have started sourcing parts and the OH has agreed to let me hire 2 months worth of indoor storage where the OT is Those who know her will realize how earth shattering this is as she dislikes MVs a lot!!

Add to this Blanchards, the Landrover people have got me a complete vehicle loom for £140 and waived the postage when they heard what happened.

All I need to get hold of now is a rear X-member and a pair of door tops for non-incident related bits to sort.

I'm feeling a lot better about the vehicle - although the culprits, well - thats a different story!!

Neil, do you mean these, they're quite commonplace and only a couple of squids each, we have them in our chandlery

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50298[/ATTACH]

That looks like the thing in question! Many thanks - i had a horrible feeling they might have been hard to source; glad to hear they are not!! Whereabouts is your chandlery???