Youtube clip - Design history of the BMP-1

This is worth a watch, the design history of the BMP-1! Good footage of all the contenders for the role including some odd wheeled/tracked combo units.

[video=youtube_share;OMR4Pxrlvd0]http://youtu.be/OMR4Pxrlvd0;

Also worth of note is the Soviet method of entering water in combat situations - compare this to the NATO method... :cheesy:

Brilliant! Thanks for posting it! Reminded me when I was driving it in the army. Never entered water like that, but it was one of the advantage that the vehicle could go in to the water without any preparation. With just one lever the diver opened the front flap and raise the snorkel. There was a special knob-wheel on the back, so the crew could seal the back doors and electric pump in case of water leak.

Thanks to that very pointy front, none of then existing bullets was able to hit the BMP. They would just bounce off it. Very clever and advanced design indeed, easy and nice to drive.

You are preaching to the converted sir :D - most say they know when I come back fro a run around the arena in my OT (apart from the dust) because of the mega grin on my face!!

It's fun to watch the panic stricken looks from those not in the know as I occasionally rumble along the straights with both arms folded outside the hatch, steering with the knees... :D

That locking wheel can be a pain when one of the little ones treats it like a steering wheel and leaves it in the locked position so that when you shut the rear doors they bounce back into your face!!

One day- perhaps - I'll get to try mine in the water!! :D