Worst war film ever ?

RattlesnakeBob

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well not sure what qualifies as a war movie as I see Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) is on this list.

I went and saw this movie last weekend, as I was bored. If we list bad things in war movies this one has every single one of them. There should be a war movies for children section.

Loads of 432's in WW2 :yawn:

It was filmed in the UK so I guess that explains the 432's. What about the occult blue energy firing weapon 4x4 amoured vehicles, anyone know what they were made from?

That's a shame! Except Captain America is and boasts it is based on a FANTASY carechter. One thing in the film's favour, on the Poster the British Major, was holding the STEN correctly! (Admit it lad's we are SAS-Sick and Sad :D )

Precisely, Tony. But the REAL aircraft combat scenes and musical score and all star cast do it for me. It does make me feel proud to be British and when Dowding (Olivier) walks out on to the terrace at the end and the music changes to a soft string section I do well up, everytime... I do like the portrayal of the Luftwaffe pilots and I have always found them amiable in their portrayal. Some of the more modern films (Spielberg etc) portray them as murderous psychotics but I am sure they were not all like this.

A lot of the Nord Bombers and the Mercershmitts staged from Spain through Jersey. Bunked off school to go and see them. Ah Happy Days! Even Blue Peter had apiece on how the film was made!

It's all a bit of give and take and would be impossible to get a perfect film.

Old Films (good points) - Other countries shown, not just America. Full size mock up models, blown up. Some believable actors. More patriotic films as tributes.

I am in absolute awe of the actor Richard Todd who played the part of Major John Howard in the 1962 film, The Longest Day, in the scenes of the taking and defending of Pegasus Bridge against German counter attacks. Richard Todd, a captain in the British 6th Airborne Division, was right there at the thick of the fighting at Pegasus Bridge on June 6th 1944.:bow:

Richard Todd during WW2 and in 1962 in The Longest Day (in the middle).

67976d1259947232-rip-richard-todd-todd31b_516x400_42404a.jpg

67962d1259935018-rip-richard-todd-todd31a_280x487_42403a.jpg

todd.jpg

Edited by Red Wings

Old filmes: Especially a lot of the black and white British films, most of the actors had actually served and it shows! The drill, kit and reactions are real.

Actors are normally sent for fitting of costume prior to filming. I can imagine Harry Andrews, a WW2 Royal Artillery veteran, who played British officers so often in films, would supply his own uniforms.:laugh:

410-19801.jpg

Edited by Red Wings

U 571.... Just an insult to the Royal Navy. I can't be bothered to say anymore about it because it doesn't deserve it. Best film for me is the Battle of Britain. I can watch it over and over again. The only bit that annoys me is before the credits there are the ubiquitous M3 half tracks and US SP guns. Oh and Sailor Malan (Robert Shaw)'s House front door .....

What upsets me about the 'Battle of Britain' was the silly b***ers blew-up a historic hangar at Duxford while making the film! :cry:

Hence the "gap" in the buildings...

jh

Well not sure what qualifies as a war movie as I see Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) is on this list.

I went and saw this movie last weekend, as I was bored. If we list bad things in war movies this one has every single one of them. There should be a war movies for children section.

Loads of 432's in WW2 :yawn:

It was filmed in the UK so I guess that explains the 432's. What about the occult blue energy firing weapon 4x4 amoured vehicles, anyone know what they were made from?

I suppose to be fair Capt America is supposed to be a 'fantasy' film? The new one is still miles better than the good Capt's previous outings on film.

jh

The horrible truth is that 99% of the average film audience would not notice if the RAF used Concordes to bomb Berlin in 1943 or that the British used T-55s on D-Day.

Remember the 'great unwashed' think anything green with tracks is 'a tank', anything with crosses German, anything with white stars Allied.

Sad, but true, I fear.

jh

I totally agree jchinuk, the majority of folk don't know the difference, like you say, it's green etc.

But not just military films, any film that portrays olden times, like when they do a 60's era film, and I see cars from the 70's/80's. :nut:

I'm terrible for spotting the wrong parts in them.

It would be nice to see some producer make a war film that looks correct, even if it means using modern cgi to help. But I still enjoy watching the old ones!

Cheers

Shaun

Yes but Todd did have an actor's ego.:D Apparently he was offred the part of himself, but said that was to small a part he wanted to be Howard. So Todd as 'Howard' takes a salute from an actor playing Todd reliving Howard at the bridge.

I personally don't see a problem with Richard Todd not playing himself. The film was made almost two decades after the event and Todd would be well over age to play himself as a captain in the original assault action. I see Major Howard being the correct/suitable part of which he was capable of playing. He was there under heavy fire from some very angry Germans in '44, in my books he deserved what part he desired and a lot more.

Very true, a couple of years ago the RTR had a pair of CVR(T) in Jersey. It got painful to watch the Corpral in charge wince every time someone said 'Nice Tank!

OOOOOOOEEEEERRRRRRR TONY!!!!

I'm gonna put the cat in amongst the pigeons now fer sure :D!!!!!!!!

Now I know a CRVT (whatever model ) is not strictly speaking a 'tank'....

......in that..(deep breath!!!!)

.........it was never intended for 'tank on tank' action....:-)

but!!!!! ( and thats a very big but by the way !!!!!)

to me..........and to 99% of folk.........a CRVT is a tank.......

Lets have a look at the beast .

..its got tracks.......it's got a revolving turret............it's armoured ........

and ..........its got a biggish gun........

Now the way I see it is this........

...despite whatever it's designated 'job' was to be on a battlefield....and despite whatever it was designed to do....I'm sure that if 'needs must'.........and if a CRVT had been involved in a 'full on combat situation'..... (and please forgive me if they were put to the 'acid test' anywhere in the world)..

.....sooner or later a CRVT would have been, and could have been, used as a 'tank'.......

......certainly not for taking on maybe a T55 or something similar...

but..

...what about a situation where the Infantry had come up against a well positioned machine gun or a fortified barn or something similar?..

..surely if a CRVT was available in that situation (and assuming no 'proper' tanks were available to the troops with the problem) then...

surely......a CRVT could have made just as good a job of solving the problem as a 'tank'?..........

so..

In as much as we know they are not 'tanks' in the strictest sense....

.....could they not have been used as a 'tank'???....

therefore...........(well!.....I'm in deep now...no going back !)

...........to conclude (as they say in court!)

I put it to you m'lord......that..... a CRVT is a...........'tank'....

..................I'll stand way back now and get down behind a wall.

and yes I agree...

.......'Escape to Victory' is truly awful and should be avoided at all costs!

great debate by the way everyone!:D

In my opinion a Scorpion or a Scimitar or any other variant of CVRT equipped with a revolving turret and gun is by definition a tank... Maybe a light reconnisance tank but a tank nontheless. Escape to victory is bad but so bad that I actually quite like it. Bobby Moore vs the Germans... 1966 all over again!!!

Tell you what Bob, I'll pass this onto the RTR shall I? :D The other thing that pi88sed them off was 99% of people who sat in the turet were fascinated the lever that rasies and lowers the commander's seat to the exclusion of all else.

Way to go Tony ! pass it up the chain and see what comes back.....heheheheh!

just out of interest....

why do the RTR get so mad at folk calling them tanks?....cos they could, as I suggested, surely have been pressed into service as a 'tank' should the need ever arose ?........

I can't believe that in such a situation as I'm suggesting that a RTR CRV(T) commander would have said to a desperate plea for help off a beleagured Infantryman....

"no son.....I'm sorry....it might look like one but!!!!...this isn't a tank....I can't help you ...you'll have to find a proper tank to take that machine gun nest out"...............:)

I'm definately gonna go and hide now.....................:D

Way to go Tony ! pass it up the chain and see what comes back.....heheheheh!

just out of interest....

why do the RTR get so mad at folk calling them tanks?....cos they could, as I suggested, surely have been pressed into service as a 'tank' should the need ever arose ?........

I can't believe that in such a situation as I'm suggesting that a RTR CRV(T) commander would have said to a desperate plea for help off a beleagured Infantryman....

"no son.....I'm sorry....it might look like one but!!!!...this isn't a tank....I can't help you ...you'll have to find a proper tank to take that machine gun nest out"...............:)

I'm definately gonna go and hide now.....................:D

I'm sure I read somewhere that the role of CVRT in Afghan has become more akin to that of a light tank than in the past, but don't know how true that is..

Everyone I know calls them tanks, and that includes people who build them and maintain them for the army, as well as many people who restore them for pleasure...although I know this causes controversy in some circles, and have a vague recollection of threads about this in the past.

Back on topic, Tobruk is one that I remember standing out as being particularly bad for having allied vehicles with crosses on.

On the subject of GOOD war films I have always had a particular fondness for 'Too Late the Hero' with Michael Caine and a host of other Brit film stars of yesteryear - it also covers an unfairly neglected theatre of WW2...