Worst war film ever ?

RattlesnakeBob

Anything with Richard Todd in is going to be good in my book...after all me dogs called Gibson !

Worst one ever Pearl Harbour...Im still investigating ways of Hollywood monetarily compensating me for the 3 hours of my life I will never get back ! Part from the bit with the B25's on the carrier, dont know how they did it but recreats my second favourite bit of aviation history remarkably well (Ok so they dont have to pay me for those 5 minutes) OH and Kate whatserface, Id take some compensation of her in lieu of cash :banana:

I love the Battle of the Bulge in all its shot in Spain implausability.

A Bridge too far will forever remain my favourite, stirring theme, a remarkably well done drop sequence from the para's point of view...I say well done as I never had my bloody eyes open when I jumped for the queens recompence so Im assuming thats what it should look like, I was a rubbish paratrooper :cheesy:.

God forbid Jackson naffs up the Dambusters, I reckon I can afford a ticket to NZ to go and kick him in the unmentionables if he does, well if they pay me re Pearl Harbour...see above. But if Kate thingy does what I hope she does, I will have to organise a whip around. Wonder what the inflight movies would be enroute, Battle of Britain, Reach for the sky and Angels One Five I hope

P.S. If a Scorpion Tank isnt a Tank then I need to re-write me childhood. Targets......UP !

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
One plus point with the old school war films was the theme music; Where Eagles Dare, The Longest Day, 633 Squadron, The Battle of Britain, The Eagle Has Landed, The Great Escape, Zulu.

Now something bad, a German Wehrmacht Saracen in the 1964 film, 633 Squadron. :laugh:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49419[/ATTACH]

a German Wermacht Saracen!!!?....ha, ha... defineatly NOT a German vehicle, but it is certainly a truly marvellous vehicle none the less!, but then I am biased!:laugh:

For me my favorite war films are ! Catch 22 (because i have an absolute thing about b25s AHHHH sex on two engines) , Das boot, Play dirty, Battle of britain, Eagle has landed , Kellys heros , and Cross of iron,

The thing with battle of the bulge is though its a great xmas war film and altough its filmed in spain and uses all american armour on both sides somehow it shows something correct how useless medium tanks were against heavy tanks and how in this case m24 chaffees that played the sherman tanks were scarficed on mass to grind down the german armour so to me its not all that bad.

But id rather watch the battle of the bulge than steven spielburghs oversentimental naieve rubbish anyday are there going to be anymore war films made in the future that dont have anything to do with spielburgh and tom hanks (WOULD BE A REFRESHING CHANGE ! )

And i do like a bridge to far very much but why oh why did livingstone make the USA the heros of operation market garden to an extent, and portay the british troops as a load tea drinking hooray henrys ! Our troops and the rest of the countrys that took part polish, aussies, canadians, new zealanders south africans, Bless em were all in the thick of the fighting thoughout most of the war in air land and sea and always thrown into the most desperate of situations.

Can we have a war film please that addresses balance for once !

Not quite a worst but a blooper. In "Doctor Strangelove" the crew are in a B52 on the way to bomb the USSR, on various occaissions we are show the plane's shadow as it flys over the Arctic, but why is its shadow that of a b17? Otherwise a fine film!

Worst film for me was Lawrence of Arabia, so bored I went to sleep after the first 10 minutes.:yawn::sleep::sleep:

:mad: Worst Film!??!! Fell asleep??? Try "Team America, World Police!"

You won't fall asleep during that one.:cool2:

Guess which is my favourite film of all time and its not Team America!

Edited by simonm

• 5 months later...

I watched The Red Beret last night (it's on BBCi at the moment). What a pile on pants! One site says the original script was so bad Richard Todd refused to accept the lead part on the grounds that it was 'too far fetched'. A real shame it's so awful as some decent kit appears: Fordson Sussex balloon winch, Fordson WOT1 crash tender, Austin K2/Y, Humber Snipe staff car and Daimler armoured cars. Even the opposition seem to have a genuine German half-track, though they do also have a Canadian Fox armoured car with obligatory crosses (which I can excuse).

I watched The Red Beret last night (it's on BBCi at the moment). What a pile on pants! One site says the original script was so bad Richard Todd refused to accept the lead part on the grounds that it was 'too far fetched'. A real shame it's so awful as some decent kit appears: Fordson Sussex balloon winch, Fordson WOT1 crash tender, Austin K2/Y, Humber Snipe staff car and Daimler armoured cars. Even the opposition seem to have a genuine German half-track, though they do also have a Canadian Fox armoured car with obligatory crosses (which I can excuse).[/quote

In the final battle Mr Ladd hides behind the suspension, complete with rollers, from a A11 Infantry Tank Mk1 or to the unenlightened a pre-war Matilda 1. The scene was shot at Otterburn Training Area.

Well lets see.

Battle of the Bulge, did not work for me a s a war film or a comedy.

633 Squadron and Ice Cold In Alex classic just goes to prove the had Land Rovers in WW2.

Please Jack can I bring mine to A&E. Iwill even paint a white star on the bonnet as most people thing iit's a jeep anyway.:D

Battle of Britain so what they used Spanish planes and exploding models, they even blew up a hanger. Beats CGI in my view. The models blew up more realistically than some CGI ones.

Then don't trust my opinion, my favorite war movie is "Kelly's Heroes".

off topic

Best car chase movie Gone in 60 Seconds.

H B Halickis original not the Nicolas Cage remake. No CGI just one car some spares and a big hammer.

Mind you the remake did have Angelina Jolie on an MV Agusta

Mike

Well lets see.

Battle of the Bulge, did not work for me a s a war film or a comedy.

633 Squadron and Ice Cold In Alex classic just goes to prove the had Land Rovers in WW2.

Please Jack can I bring mine to A&E. Iwill even paint a white star on the bonnet as most people thing iit's a jeep anyway.:D

Battle of Britain so what they used Spanish planes and exploding models, they even blew up a hanger. Beats CGI in my view. The models blew up more realistically than some CGI ones.

Then don't trust my opinion, my favorite war movie is "Kelly's Heroes".

off topic

Best car chase movie Gone in 60 Seconds.

H B Halickis original not the Nicolas Cage remake. No CGI just one car some spares and a big hammer.

Mind you the remake did have Angelina Jolie on an MV Agusta

Mike

Battle of Britain Rocks :-).