Recce 90.

chevpol

Ok folks,

time to prod the collective brain cell again! :cool2:

Apart from the Hooligans from Hereford, who else used 12v Landy 90's in a recce/gunship role?

I ask because if my 90 doesnt sell, I might turn her into a gunship/recce vehicle, but as she is a 12v not 24v ffr, it does limit my options a bit (a lot?)

TTFN

Mark

Photo came from the old MVWF site, apparently owned by the SAS Museum, the only original Dinkie left?

Copyofdinkie1.jpg

Edited by chevpol

Mark bear in mind that if it was FFR it would have been 12/24v ie the automotive side 12v & a separate 24v alternator for the FFR stuff.

Mines 12volt Clive. I know the SAS used 12v 90's "sourced" from the RAF, that was part of my question, did anybody else use 12v GS Landy 90's as a recce/gunship vehicle

Mark

Ok folks,

as she didnt sell, it looks like I will be keeping her for a while, so I am still thinking of converting her to a SAS Dinkie (she is a RAF 12volt after all!).

What I would like is information, such as, side bins/racks, I assume both types were used on both sides? Where can I source a raised gunners seat? was a tailgate fitted (I assume so).

Sue, if you are reading this, can I ask a big favour, can you send me piccys of yous please? I need all 4 sides.

Karl, I understand Sue bought hers from you? I dont suppose you have any piccys of the conversion do you? PM me if you want.

Thanking you all in antici...................pation!!

TTFN

Mark

I have no photos Im afraid, I put it together long before I had a digital camera.

The source of genuine kits is likely to have dried up a very long time ago. I bought my kit in 2003, and I very nearly missed the boat back then. I bought a genuine Path finder kit in 2004, with the intention of building a replica path finder. I then aquired a genuine Pathfinder which was missing its kit so the kit went onto that. Thats the Pathfinder that my brother currently owns and is looking to sell.

The para's used 90 gunships, but only 8 were built, and they were all FFR. They were built on a previously converted stackable 90 (with cut out sides).

The SAS converted ex RAF 90's due to a lack of DPV's available, but the only one to survive is the one in your picture.

If you are going to go down this road, you are going to have to get everything fabricated. you will pay around £500 ish each just for the correct mounts, although cheaper ones are available, they will look terrible. Unless you are going to fabricate your own kit, you will have to pay someone, and there is alot more to it then first appears.....

Put the soft top back on your 90 (you would need to take the roll bar off of your series 3 and use on the 90 for a recce anyway), paint it green and pay to have the filler in the door posts replaced with real metal. It will then sell.... Thats what I would be doing if it was me.

If you do continue down the 90 route and have specific questions, feel free to PM me, I will help where I can.

Good luck.

They do look good, but they are an expensive thing to put together.

hi Mark, here are some pictures of my Pathfinder LRPV, the base vehicle is a piggy back 90 ffr fitted with power steering, however most of the ffr stuff was removed, mine is totally original and can be seen whilst still in service in Bob Morrison's article on these vehicles. However the stuff for it costs a fortune, and thats if you can find any of it, for example the box that fits on the tailgate cost me in excess of £70 but its all original!!!!

hope the photo's are of some use to you.

warpeace2011053.jpg

warpeace2011052.jpg

warpeace2011048.jpg

warpeace2011028.jpg

warpeace2011018.jpg

warpeace2011007.jpg

iphone086.jpg