• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A jig to clamp the steel band in position before it is welded?

Or to true up a band to make sure its the correct size before fitting?

I take it the "a" position is the gap between the spokes, "b" the clamping jaw and "c" the eccentric mechanism to operate the jaw?

Alec.

a = circular bed plate

b = 18 cylinders with rams

c = return springs compressed by the forward movement of the rams

d = screw & nut to secure the wheel

I think that's Richard's £25 voucher - he got to the wheel thing, I was dead set on it being a tyre heater.:-(

Yes can you pass it on to Richard please?

But often the person who makes the major breakthrough can lose the momentum when everyone else starts focussing on the nearly identified object.

I'll put a little resume of how it worked up tomorrow.

Wouldn't the usual process of applying the tyre tighten everything up with a lot more pressure than this rig? If the wheel was out of shape it would remain out of shape after application of uniform presure all around - unless each piston could be operated independently maybe to alow tweaking of shape? :cool2:

It all sounds a bit dodgy to me. The only thing it might do is tighten up all the joints in preparation for the tyre application - which I would have thought must still be done the tradditional way by heating and shrinking on. You can't leave it there Clive - we now need to establish the whole process. This was only supposed to be a competition -now look what it's turned into!

P.S. Have just shot a pidgeon which was headed stright for the back door, but the dog ate it - that wasn't the voucher delivery, was it? :(

Edited by N.O.S.