Mystery Object No.10

fv1609

Just to show I am not narrow minded, this is not post war & it is not a lamp guard.

Object101.jpg

Sorry about the "moire" effect it doesn't look too bad on photobucket, I reduced the size down twice but it got worse & worse.

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo links repaired

water purification unit?

Absolutely right! Have to call you Richard the first :-D

But what is its proper name?

What year is it? Clue prewar.

(and it isn't in the Windscreen article, as I found this after I had written it. But it will be in the updated version going on site later)

Object10full.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo links repaired

Absolutely right! Have to call you Richard the first :-D

But what is its proper name?

What year is it? Clue prewar.

Clive,

Not sure of its correct title, somewhere I have a prewar pamphlet on Water Purification, which I sent you some details from, for the article. This unit predates that, the only names that spring to mind is Stella and another beginning with M??????? Date.......possibly around 1919-1925 :?

Richard the First

Clive,

Not sure of its correct title, somewhere I have a prewar pamphlet on Water Purification, which I sent you some details from, for the article. This unit predates that, the only names that spring to mind is Stella and another beginning with M??????? Date.......possibly around 1919-1925 :?Richard the First

Richard I. I was teasing a bit when I said it was pre-war, it is, but is pre-WW1. This is the Field Service Filter-Tank which was in service in 1908. But in 1909 a very similar item appeared the Cart Water Tank MkII & MkII* as it looks identical I think the Field Service Filter-Tank became renamed as the Cart Water Tank MkI A serious omission was that nobody thought to put a drain plug at the bottom of the tank for cleaning so an "EMER" was raised for that.

The CWT seemed to get displaced in the 1920s-30s with Regimental Water Cart that then evolved into a thing with tyres for MT use the Water Tank Trailer. I think that was what we were corresponding about. Yes you are thinking about the Metafilter.

Although all my vehicles are PWW2, I have a fascination for the mundane, but important aspects of military life in the last 100 years such as water, sanitation, stores & supplies but when you go to places that cover this area of history its all about guns & uniforms & I find that a turn off whatever the era :-(