What was your Funniest memory of W&P 2011?

woa2

My funniest memory is from my Daughter Emma. She and my Grandaughter went to the booking in van. They wanted my Grandaughter to sign for her arm band - my Grandaughter is 2 years old! Emma, my Daughter sat Elizabeth, my Grandaughter on the booking in desk. They then asked if she was an IMPS member - my Daughter produced my Grandaughter's membership card. The girl at the booking in desk then let my daughter sign for my Grandaughter's arm band.

watching a bloke try to get showers, toilets working by millionaires row, decide that he needs to remove a pump from drain and clear blockage by banging on paving slab , unfortunately this upset a wasps nest which then decided to attack him!! all watched with can of beer from under cammo netting ! give him his due he still carried on working with the occasional wild flap of his arms as the stragglers wanted to get in on the action. :D

Sitting in the sun on the north africa bit, ignoring the world and recovering from the night before. Very nice young lady dressed as a nurse pulls up on pushbike and asks to take happy snaps. Fill yer boots i say................unfortunatley realsing afterwards that one leg up on the edge of a trench in shorts is not the best idea when you happen to be commando that day. Please god no photo,s appear !!!!!!Tim

watching a bloke try to get showers, toilets working by millionaires row, decide that he needs to remove a pump from drain and clear blockage by banging on paving slab , unfortunately this upset a wasps nest which then decided to attack him!! all watched with can of beer from under cammo netting ! give him his due he still carried on working with the occasional wild flap of his arms as the stragglers wanted to get in on the action. :D

So that was why I got so many wasps in my tent! I made a wasp trap and got several.

• 5 months later...

Being approached buy a flustered looking steward - "We are desperate for jeeps to ferry the land army girls to the display area".

Having seen some very jolly young ladies earlier in the day I immediately jumped into the Jeep and headed off for the main marquee.

Here we are (courtesy of the W&P site):

They were an ABSOLUTE delight - lovely ladies and a real giggle!

Other moment that made me smile was the look on the guy's face who was sat, casually, on the low wall and watched me with curiosity as I walked up carrying a rather strange looking container.

He gave me a puzzled looked, to which I replied 'Elson'. It took him a secon or two to realise to what I was referring and then leapt up as I emptied the chemical toilet right next to where he had been sat!

An odd location for the Elson point, I thought! (For those of you familiar with it!)

DSC_2134.jpg

Edited by REG

my funniest moment was watching andy (ferrettkitt) driving my bren carrier round the back field, at first he was a little cautious so i encouraged him to put his foot down and give it some, i made the mistake of calling him a big girl for not driving faster and it acted like a red rag to a bull and he was off like a shot, he finally ended up at the shower area which was a mud bath due to water leaking from them. it was here that he span the carrier round and round with a manic expression on his face that made him look like the axe guy from the shining :nut: there was mud spraying everywhere, on the shower block, on me and on some guys champ that happened to be parked at the wrong place at the wrong time. i still smile now when i think back to it :D

it's true that it's the quiet ones you have to watch.

rick

Other moment that made me smile was the look on the guy's face who was sat, casually, on the low wall and watched me with curiosity as I walked up carrying a rather strange looking container.

He gave me a puzzled looked, to which I replied 'Elson'. It took him a secon or two to realise to what I was referring and then leapt up as I emptied the chemical toilet right next to where he had been sat!

An odd location for the Elson point, I thought! (For those of you familiar with it!)

A few years ago, before they built the more substantial surround around it. I had to stop a couple of lads using it to wash in (well there was a cue for the showers. (I know a lot of people like to get s**t faced at beltring, but that's going a bit far:wow:) )

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The older gentleman on (I think) the Sat morning as we took the OT off the RA pitch in Living History for the mornings opening event in the arena. The lads formed a barricade to keep the public safe and he was at the very front watching... Those familiar with the OT know that the clutch take up is very much on/off and the front rears up like a good 'un.. He jumped when the air start fired the engine up and nearly jumped out of his skin when I let the clutch up....

He came back later in the day to ask about the vehicle and admitted he nearly wet himself.. Apparently he'd seen 432's and CVR(T)'s etc. move off and assumed the OT would be the same..

Early in 2011 show - maybe Monday? - there was a rain shower that made the top 1inch of surface into gloop but it was hard underneath and then started to dry up. Visiting us was an old college friend Tom who is the wittiest bloke I know. He cracked some joke and my two grandsons (13/14 yrs old) are sitting in those fold up chairs which I think are called Landrover chairs for some reason. Anyway, one grandson laughs so much he overbalances sideways, takes chair with him and goes splat into the mud, all down the side of his head, right arm etc. He is laughing so much he cannot move and is tangled in the chair anyway so he just lies there on his side in the mud laughing like a drain as we then all did.

Which grandson is a secret to protect him (but his name is Jack!)

A couple of years ago a kid came running up to me and said "you're an official you have to help me". "What's happened?" I ask, attempting to calm him down. "I've lost my phone". "OK, where do you think you saw it last?" "Oh, that's easy..." he says and takes me to the septic tank by the shower block. He'd been sitting on the ledge and it had fallen out of his pocket into one of the vents. We phoned it up and we could see it buzzing away as it floated.... "Sorry son..." I said.... "But..."

I probably have other tales...

MB

One year i saw a foreign couple(Polish i think) washing all there cutlery and plates at the Elson tank. At the time it had a brush there as well to clean the inner most reaches of the portaloo,s. They were scrubbing away with vigour with the brush.

Countless people tried in vain to tell them what they were doing(Me included)But to no avail. They just carried on regardless.