War and Peace SHow website photo gallery pictures

zoomer

Hi all,

Just been looking over what we in the W&P photo team have produced this year compared to last year.

I dont often hear much comment about the gallery, so I wondered if anyone on here looks at it at all?!

If you do, what do you think of it? Too few pics, too many or just right?

Too many reenactors? Too many vehicles(!)? Too much stuff you dont know what it is about at all?

And is it easy to find what you want, or a bit of a jumble?

If you have any comments or constructive criticism PM me or post, so we can try to take them on board for next year.

Cheers,

Zoomer Phil

Hi all,

If you have any comments or constructive criticism PM me or post, so we can try to take them on board for next year.

My only comment: its a vehicle show, with most of those attending NOT taking part in the arena. Despite this, most pics are of the arena and Living history. I realise the need to show `action` pics however, am sure many attendees would also love to see an image of their pride and joy. Not saying we can have all 2600 vehicles (as I saw posted elsewhere), but some would be nice at least.

Cheers

Steve W.

My only comment: its a vehicle show, with most of those attending NOT taking part in the arena. Despite this, most pics are of the arena and Living history. I realise the need to show `action` pics however, am sure many attendees would also love to see an image of their pride and joy. Not saying we can have all 2600 vehicles (as I saw posted elsewhere), but some would be nice at least.

Cheers

Steve W.

Agree with that 100%

I really enjoy looking through the photos. There is so much to see and do at the show that you cannot see everything. The photos give an insight to things I haven't seen.

We went into the arena with the 432 for all the tank sessions, and had more laps this year than in the past. It is great to see a picture of us going round in the arena.

I agree that the majority of vehicles don't go to the arena and maybe some of these could/should appear in the photos, maybe even in a different section just "around the show" to help keep the arena action daily specific.

Overall I enjoy viewing the photos, and I too would like to see a slideshow option, like there used to be.

Personally, I find the sheer number of photos quite daunting, especially if wanting to look back in previous years for something specific. Things are just random with little context.

May I suggest placing the living history photos in one area and then divided into different albums for the different groups attending. Similarly, place the vehicle portraits in a separate area divided into albums for the different vehicle classes (as listed in the show guide). And a further (but time consuming) step would be to label the vehicle images with the entry number. Anything else, such as arena events and candid shots could go a misc album.

Thanks, some good ideas here, keep em coming.

BTW I'd love to take a shot of every vehicle on site but with no formal transport for all the press team its impossible to cover all the scheduled events all over the showground and get to every corner of the vehicle fields! It was so much easier with only 2 fields and everything in the arena!

Phil

Personally, I find the sheer number of photos quite daunting, especially if wanting to look back in previous years for something specific. Things are just random with little context.

May I suggest placing the living history photos in one area and then divided into different albums for the different groups attending. Similarly, place the vehicle portraits in a separate area divided into albums for the different vehicle classes (as listed in the show guide). And a further (but time consuming) step would be to label the vehicle images with the entry number. Anything else, such as arena events and candid shots could go a misc album.

Runflat,

I am in the same place as you on this, but the photographers and the web people are different teams so we supply the pix and they sort them out (or not as the case may be) and chuck them on line. It's one thing I and a couple of the other press team members would like to get better managed and this sort of suggestion is music to my ears! Thanks.

Phil

Runflat,

I am in the same place as you on this, but the photographers and the web people are different teams so we supply the pix and they sort them out (or not as the case may be) and chuck them on line. It's one thing I and a couple of the other press team members would like to get better managed and this sort of suggestion is music to my ears! Thanks.

Phil

Its been pointed out to me that 'chuck them on line' is unfair on the web team, and I agree that this year a lot more proactive effort was put in from the web side for sure... This year was an improvement, but there's more we can do and the feedback I'm getting I'll pass back in the hope it'll make things better.

Cheers,

Phil

I find it a pain to go through all the pages - it needs and clearer module where you have more images per page - that would make life easier.

Agreed - it's the web side of things that lets it down. The format is wrong (essentially portrait when everyone has a landscape format screen) and it needs options for numbers and sizes of thumbnails as well as a slideshow. Not hard to fix - you just need to use a better backend presentation/viewing engine. There's lots of different ones around.

Andy