Secret weapon from The Falklands War revealed at Beltring.

Antony

That is brilliant. Would it have been geared down to cope with the tracks I wonder/

I don't think it was geared down, but I believe I heard the owner say that he had to exchange the reliant rear axle for a different make.

Certainly weird enough to be true, seems a bit of an extreme practical joke otherwise?

I wonder if the tracks are wide enough to stop it toppling on the corners! :D

Stone[/quote

I didn't drive it, but it certainly looked more stable with tracks than with the wheels]

I am not sure this has been thought out.... Surely it will spend most of its time falling into one or other of the two wheel ruts left by conventional vehicles......

I remember the Robin at Rushmoor Arena in the early 80's. That at least had a turret with a water cannon (well Water Pistol) Without such striking force I can't see this one going into production.......

I am not sure this has been thought out.... Surely it will spend most of its time falling into one or other of the two wheel ruts left by conventional vehicles......

But why would there be wheel ruts in terrain where other vehicles could not go? :cool2:

I remember the Robin at Rushmoor Arena in the early 80's. That at least had a turret with a water cannon (well Water Pistol) Without such striking force I can't see this one going into production.......

It's cloaking device is able to block all negative vibes..

I don't think it was geared down, but I believe I heard the owner say that he had to exchange the reliant rear axle for a different make.

The Reliant 3.4:1 axle did not survive the ruggedization program, the halfshafts where too bendy, it was replaced with a Bedford Rascal/Carry one, 5:1 ratio.

Correct me if I'm wrong.....That looks like a little seagull there on the back :-)

Correct, 102 model (round tank) with direct drive.

I have a very rare 1942 short shaft WD model complete with it origional manual, will look very nice when restored will all its brass fittings.

Thanks everyone for all your encouragement, Rugged Robin now has 14hrs showing on the hours counter, 10 of them with many different crews on board at Beltring, he proved to be such a popular crowd pleaser, that I feel his obvious future role is as a charity fund raiser.

I have been giving some thought to this and suggestions as to how best results could be achieved would be very welcome.

As to armament, he has a forward gun mount fitted (forgot to take the 50cal to Beltring :rolleyes:) but perhaps this does not fit his cuddly new image!

Bernard

Edited by gritineye

Correct, 102 model (round tank) with direct drive.

I have a very rare 1942 short shaft WD model complete with it origional manual, will look very nice when restored will all its brass fittings.

Don't know too much about them, but the round tank was loosely fixed with wire onto a square type mounting by the pro sea fisherman who last owned it, now fixed with Jubilee clips!