Choosing a new car.......

Scarab

Hey all,

I'm after a new 4x4 for general family use, work, and lugging stuff about. I've narrowed it down to a choice of 4:

2008 Land Rover Discovery 3 HSE (28,000 miles)

2007 Range Rover Sport HSE (19,000 Miles)

2006 Range Rover Autobiography with high spec (34,000 Miles)

2009 VW Touareg Altitude (39,000 Miles)

I've never had any experience of modern Land Rovers and have been told that all 3 in my options list are likely to break down every 10 feet and cost me a fortune when they do so. But I need something thats comfortable, nice to drive long distances (I do about 30,000-35,000 miles a year) and can get me out of mud and snow. Which I come into contact with quite often due to work.

What are peoples opinions? running costs aren't a consideration as the majority of it wont come out of my own pocket. What would be your choice?

I'm leaning towards the Disco 3, but the Sport is a much nicer place to be inside and I'm told by the salesman (same guy for all the LR's) that a Sport is just as capable off road as the Disco as its entirely the same apart from the Rack and Body.

But then If I'm getting a Sport why not just get the "proper" Range Rover.

The Touareg is in there because its newer, still in warranty etc but I don't know how good it would be when the going got tough.

Any and all input appreciated!

I have just got the Disco 2 TD5, i bought it and did a 500mi straight after buying it, and for 2t of vehicle its good on fuel. you can fit anything in the back, i know its slightly different from the 3 but they are lovely to drive and plenty of space.

Don't go for the sport, your mates will take the piss out of you! Seriously I have the Range Rover with the BMW V8 in it, it does 19mpg it has been reliable, parts are not that expensive, its so, so nice to drive and in the snow last year well you just couldn't beat it. Also your never going to drive a range rover any say....... hmm I wish I brought the Discovery :)

It depends what you want to do with it most of the time. Are you towing trailers? How extreme do you go off road? For general use I have an estate car, which will give good comfort and economy but pull a reasonable trailer if need be. I fit new winter tyres in the late autumn, when the snow gets really bad I use chains and can get everywhere I need. When the last bit of hill before the house gets packed and icy the 4x4s, including the tractors, struggle but the vectra with chains on has no bother. I have pleanty choice of 4x4 as well as the Scammell but in reality don't need them for normal use. I am intending putting a snowplough on the front of my 4x4x4 Gipsy for clearing the yard in the winter though. Unless you really need a 4x4 I would save your money. Buy a set of chains and spend the rest on toys.

IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

Edited by croc

well........:laugh:...if 'maybe' breaking down seriously worries you ???

It's probably best that you buy an old 'series' Landrover instead of any of that fancy new stuff ...

...and that'll neatly remove any possibility of it not breaking down....thereby saving you any stress of driving along wondering if it'll break down!.....

and!!!!

you can save even more money by not joining the AA.........just put together a small tool kit of:

a big lump hammer,

a smaller lump hammer,

a roll of baler twine,

3 cables ties

one adjustable spanner

......... and then you can fix anything whatsoever that caused you to break down in the first place ! hahahahah!

seriously though I can only go on a mates expiriences ...he had about a 12 month old Rangerover and did no off roading whatsoever .....and it broke down continually....

....always summat to do with the drive train as I recall...CVs/ universal joints/gearbox/tranfer box/differentials (axles and gearbox ones) etc etc .....he gave up in the end when the garage ( a big RR dealer somewhere near Bath) started playing silly buggers and didn't want to cover it anymore under the warranty.....so he took a hefty loss on it and bought something else entirely different.......

think I'd be looking at Mitsubishi/Toyota/Nissan myself......breaks my heart to say it though.......

.............oh yeah .and another mate came thru a lot of money 3 years ago and bought his self a brand spanking new Audi A7 .oh my gawd.don't even think about it would me my advice.........everything and its mate went wrong over the next 2 to 3 years .and I mean everything and not just once!

Edited by RattlesnakeBob
audi! hahah !

Range Rover (not the Sport though) i am a landcruiser man through and through but when it came to getting the bigger family car last year i tried everything and i mean everything, resisted even avoided the range rovers until last as i was not a fan, until i tried one, had it a while now, done a lot of miles and still love it, fabulous car, and for the price they are now its amazing. we bought a TD6 model. parts are not too bad, apart from front air bellows (but how often will they need to be changed?) i service it myself and have had it plugged in once to reset service schedule by a local garage. the biggest whinge so far was a spare key costing £290!!!!. since buying mine 3 friends have also bought them a mixture of V8 and TD6, all love em. the problems with front diffs how now been sorted landrover did a recall on all range rover right back to 2002 models and fitted the new diff and front shafts, but do check that if you buy one it has been done as a few slipped trhough the loop im sure.

mind you still got my landcruiser for work and when the range rover packs up!

quick note - disco 3, if you have an engine problem they have to take the body off!!! something like 7 hours to remove!

Edited by RMS

Thanks guys, sorry for the late reply, laptop power supply blew up and then with W&P everything got a bit hectic.

For work I often have to visit Eastern Europe as well as some nasty building sites in the middle of nowhere, logging sites etc so can get quite "off road"

Reckon I will listen to all that's been said and look at getting a Range Rover. As has been said, a Disco I might regret but probably not the RR

Thank you for all the help.

Alex

Range Rover all the way, if you can stretch it go for a TDV8 they are awesome!!!

Just got a brand new Freelander XS myself and it is marvellous, nothing like the old ones, eats motorways and got all the off road shenaniggins of its bigger brothers.

diesel x5?

He mentioned he has to get quite off road which as far as my experience goes (dirty great petrol/lpg one from work) they are a waste of time unless off-road is the grass verge outside a school.

Very nice for clocking up the road miles in though.

Mike

Hi , i work for a landrover dealer and i,d advise D3 or rangerover , i know they have their problems but then again so does everything else ! the problem with a sport is the balljoints are always wearing out and the fluid anti-roll bar bushes wear out and makes the front suspension knocks , i,ve driven two toureg,s and they just did,nt feel as sturdy as a landrover and one of them has been back to us twice with auto box problems ! terry