Can you 'Tax' an exempt vehicle on-line ?

Johnh

Question

Just had a bit of a panic, 'Log book' arrived no dramas, but no reminder has arrived as yet an the tax disc runs out at the end of July. I have been using the on-line facility for a few years to re-tax my import truck, just wondered if you could do the same with an exempt truck ?:blush:

If you are MOT exempt still tick the box that confirms you have a current MOT, later in the process when it checks if you do have one it then gives you the option to declare it exempt. If you don't do this you won't get very far..

Always did the ferret at the PO, as never worked online.

I tried one Po a couple of times and the guy just kept saying it needed an MOT even though I had filled out the V112G, kept saying "you cannot use any vehicle on the road without an MOT"...he seemed to ignore the "MOT exemption form issued by DVLA!!!

No problem at other POs though...kind anice going in and getting something for nothing :)

Always did the ferret at the PO, as never worked online.

I tried one Po a couple of times and the guy just kept saying it needed an MOT even though I had filled out the V112G, kept saying "you cannot use any vehicle on the road without an MOT"...he seemed to ignore the "MOT exemption form issued by DVLA!!!

No problem at other POs though...kind anice going in and getting something for nothing :)

Does seem to depend on Post Office. There are two taxing ones near me, one is a waste of space. The other asks intiggeligent questions di a check a couple of years ago, and no problem since.

I have just tried to tax my Dodge on line and it got knocked back for not having an MOT

there was no option to declare exempt so it looks like down the Post Office in the morning

Commander

Hi C. how are you........... read number 4 post on this thread.

Regards.

Ray. :goodidea:

Please do.........

Regards.

Ray.

Well it's a trip to the post office for me:blush: did as in post 4 got through to the next page all details correct clicked next, then got this application cancelled as no MOT in place etc, no question aout historic vehicle or exemption etc

oh well:red:

Same here.

I have never been able to tax any of my exempt vehicles on line.

If I tick the MOT box, the site states it was unable to confirm the vehicle has an MOT and to attend a post office.

Gives me the right hump.

Same here.

I have never been able to tax any of my exempt vehicles on line.

If I tick the MOT box, the site states it was unable to confirm the vehicle has an MOT and to attend a post office.

Gives me the right hump.

Never had a problem, just asks to confirm it is exempt.

I have never had any problems taxing my Series 1 Landrover (Historic Vehicle with MOT) or my Iron Fairy mobile crane (Historic Vehicle, MOT-exempt) on line.

As stated earlier in the thread, you have to tick the box that asks if you have a valid MOT Certificate even if the vehicle is MOT-exempt, then it should work fine.

Obviously the MID must know about the vehicle and will be used to validate the insurance during the tax application. You can used the "askMID" website to check the insurance status if unsure.

I suspect that all of these problems regarding taxing on line exist if your vehicle is not registered with DVLA as being m-o-t exempt. When my renewal drops through the door it always asks me to submit my documents, including an MOT certificate, I know that it says tick the box if you do not require to submit an MOT, but that obviously illustrates the fact that they dont have you registered on file, subsiquently I suspect that thats the reason for non acceptance on line. So maybe you need to update the database, just a thought, but I reckon that that might just solve the problem. ( I still do my MOT exempt vehicles at the post office.) :kissoncheek:

I suspect that all of these problems regarding taxing on line exist if your vehicle is not registered with DVLA as being m-o-t exempt. When my renewal drops through the door it always asks me to submit my documents, including an MOT certificate, I know that it says tick the box if you do not require to submit an MOT, but that obviously illustrates the fact that they dont have you registered on file, subsiquently I suspect that thats the reason for non acceptance on line. So maybe you need to update the database, just a thought, but I reckon that that might just solve the problem. ( I still do my MOT exempt vehicles at the post office.) :kissoncheek:

Well , I contacted DVLA they have the truck as a Historic Vehicle, all numbers correspond and they openly said it has an 'exemption code' whatever that is, anyway they said 'just carry on going to your local post office that has the licensing capability' ,'it may be a software glitch'. oh and they did point out that it helps keep the post office people in business, fair play.

Well , I contacted DVLA they have the truck as a Historic Vehicle, all numbers correspond and they openly said it has an 'exemption code' whatever that is, anyway they said 'just carry on going to your local post office that has the licensing capability' ,'it may be a software glitch'. oh and they did point out that it helps keep the post office people in business, fair play.

Just as long as you get the right Post Office! :-D I've two near me that tax, one is a waste of space, in other things as well, the second is great.

We've got three vehicles -- two we can tax on line no problem by ticking the MOT box, but our most recent one that we had to have the DVLA to check, we have to complete the V112G every year and take a trip to the PO. I asked the question aboiut taxing on line in the local DVLA stating that I have two other vehicles I have no problem with and received a mighty sigh and shrugged shoulders -- nothing to do with me she said -- dems de rules

PO I use -- very helpful -- no questions asked, no long queues. Still a bit of a pain though compared with sitting at the old PC, but Hey Ho

My ferret obviously doesn't have the MOT exemption logged. Post Office for me.

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: dvoSorry, width: 1%]SORRY[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE]

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=width: 100%][TABLE=class: portletcontainer, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: portletcontainer, width: 100%][TABLE=class: portletcontent, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: portletcontent, width: 100%][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=width: 8][/TD]

[TD][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 3]MOT Test Certificate could not be found

[TR]

[TD=width: 0.5][/TD]

[TD][TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]Sorry, it has not been possible to match the vehicle with a MOT Test Certificate at this time and you are unable to complete your application for a tax disc using this service.

If you have a MOT Test Certificate…

It appears the vehicle has not yet been updated on the MOT Test Certificate database. You can phone the MOT helpline for information (with permission of the car owner). The telephone number is 0870 606 0440.

If you DON’T have a valid MOT Test Certificate…

A MOT Test Certificate must be obtained before applying for a tax disc.

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=width: 98%]This application has been cancelled[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Never managed to tax my Militant on line, website just wont recognise it. Always end up local PO, and then that depends on which clown is on the desk. Always manage in the end, but it's free and it's a good feeling getting something for nowt

Both our Explorers are Exempt and go staight through online, without any hassle, but strangely our 1964 Militant won't go through when it has an HGV M.O.T., but is fine as a Heavy Class 4 motorhome??

Jules