How Many Great War Vehicles Remaining???

bobs1918

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As per earlier post Bernard Afchain in France has several Great War trucks in his collection - all for sale incl. several Ford model T ambulances, AC Macks in varying condition and Packhard.

http://www.voituresanciennes.net/camions2restaura.html

http://www.voituresanciennes.net/camions3restaura.html

Having seen these vehicles in the flesh I have to say they would all make good restoration prospects although presenting different degrees of challenge!

- MG

I notice the Fiats and the Daimler are 'Right hand drive'. Made for the British Army? Or did the Italians drive on the left in those days?

'Chas.'

That's an interesting one. Our American built Autocars and FWD are also right hand drive. We believe that with so little traffic around in the early years, they were more interested in avoiding the ditch than other vehicles! British built Foden steam wagons of the same era are left hand drive. The Americans seemed to go LHD from about 1920 onwards.

Steve

As per earlier post Bernard Afchain in France has several Great War trucks in his collection - all for sale incl. several Ford model T ambulances, AC Macks in varying condition and Packhard.

http://www.voituresanciennes.net/camions2restaura.html

http://www.voituresanciennes.net/camions3restaura.html

Having seen these vehicles in the flesh I have to say they would all make good restoration prospects although presenting different degrees of challenge!

- MG

Hello Mike

are there any photos of the ambulances available??

thanks

bob

Hello Mike

are there any photos of the ambulances available??

thanks

bob

Really sorry guys, I wasn't taking photos as we only had a whistle-stop tour while there to pick up a WW2 Autocar cab. Bernard speaks good English so if you're interested it would be worth calling or emailing him. He was happy to email photos across.

- MG

A quick email finds that he doesn't have any T ambulances but 3 GMC type 16 ambulances. I've no pictures of them, but they sound interesting projects.

http://history.gmheritagecenter.com/wiki/index.php/File:159839.jpg

Apologies for getting people's hopes up - I thought I remembered him saying they were T's.

- MG

I think that one goes into the second group of ex-military rebuilt for civilian use. I didn't know about that one and must add it to my master list. Than you for showing it!

How about a few FWDs. Here is ours, rebuilt about ten years ago. Genuine ex-US Army of 1918, it spent its working life in France hauling circus trailers around up until 1970 when it was laid up in a scrapyard near Nice. After fourteen years there, it went through several owners until we got it and gave it a thorough overhaul. We also built a new body to the original USQMC pattern using drawings published in 'The Automobile' just after the war.

Steve

IMG_0105.jpg

Yes, that is Graham Attwater's as shown here on page three of this thread, just above the Foden. He has done a very nice job on it but he has been unfortunate in running it. On his first Brighton, his magneto failed and on the second, he ran the big ends. We saw him set off this time determined to finish. He rolled off of his tender, bump starting it on the way and was off! We didn't see him again until we arrived about three hours after he did!

Steve

On the subject of FWDs, I picked this picture up many years ago. It show an example owned by the late Tom Redburn. It went out and about quite a bit and appeared in a number of movies. However, it disappeared about twenty years ago and has not been seen since. Does anyone know where it went?

Steve

Mail0014.JPG

Not WW1.

It is an A1 or A2 model produced after the war.

Could have used by military in the latter 1920's

For a WW1 vehicle ( compared to a Thornycroft J), it is smaller, has the wrong bonnet, radiator, fuel tank, steering column mount and the engine and gearbox are as one unit.

Sorry to disappoint you

Doug

Not WW1.

It is an A1 or A2 model produced after the war.

Could have used by military in the latter 1920's

For a WW1 vehicle ( compared to a Thornycroft J), it is smaller, has the wrong bonnet, radiator, fuel tank, steering column mount and the engine and gearbox are as one unit.

Sorry to disappoint you

Doug

Hi Doug

Not knowing much about Thornycrofts I was unsure, it somehow did not look WW1 military.

Photographed at Wings over Wairarapa 2011 (your neck of the woods) and had been marked as 1916.

I need to have a holiday in NZ during 2015/18 with some suitable WW1 transport and take in some centenary air shows.

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by Charawacky

Being in this country and not having seen it is some what embarrassing. As it's one of Peter Jackson's film props it could well be just that; a prop. Some look-a-likes have been made up using chassis and running gear from recent trucks. I know they have either five or seven done.

Reliability were the needs for filming, with diesel engines, key start andsimple to operate so crew could easily operate them. Others are cobbled up from bits found but without the aspect of overall originality. To look the part from a distance. Wheels have been cast in alloy, solid rubber tyres made and the whole wheel bolts on to the hub. Interchangeable with the truck pneumatics for transport.

Doug :-|

As for the photograph taken in Chile. Do you have any more of this chassis as the focus on this one is quite blurry.

A few points stand out, the curved dumb irons to the front of the chassis exclude trucks like Dennis, Daimler AEC.

The step for the drivers door indicate a centrally mounted gear change and brake, therefore mid twenty's manufacture.Flat fire wall could be a local adaptation.

First thoughts are towards a Thornycroft

Doug