How Many Great War Vehicles Remaining???

bobs1918

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have beaten me to it! I must say that the Liberty goes well. I was overtaken going up Clayton Hill whilst I was driving an Albion!

This Liberty is somewhere in the US and came up for sale on Ebay last year. I don't know anything else about it unfortunately.

Liberty 1.jpg

WW1 vehicles in New Zealand. This batch are all ambulances.

The Rover Sunbeam is original. After service in France was shipped to NZ and was used in a rural region for many years.

The Model T is of unknown history, I seem to recall it's a body builtup on a local chassis showing American Field Service. May not have any war history.

The latter image with the aircraft is also a rebuild. At the Aviation Heritage Centre, Omaka, Blenheim, NZ.

This collection has links to Peter Jackson the film maker and hence the display presentation being so realistic.

Doug:-)

ahc_ambulance.jpg

WW1 ambulance mT                       Feb 07 090.jpg

WW1 rover Sunbeam 262 alt eml.jpg

WW1 Rover Sunbeam ambolance 263 alt eml.jpg

The Peerless is almost certainly ex WD as it has the correct pattern hooks on the front. Didnt your father obtain some bits for it from Argentina? Was there anything else that might be of interest to someone restoring a Peerless.

Tim

:-)

I'm not sure about Argentina, I will ask, seeing him tomorrow, we still have copies of the instruction book and parts list, but I don't think there are any actual metal parts in his possession I will ask, but i think the moulds for the radiator are still at the museum , depends on what is needed, he could tell you what can made to fit i.e rings or what valves to use, he extended some to fit, the spare fan belt and such was kept at the museum i think that was made of leather parts instead of a singe piece they have on it now, list of questions to ask and will get him to answer them!!!!!!!

WW1 vehicles in New Zealand. This batch are all ambulances.

The Rover Sunbeam is original. After service in France was shipped to NZ and was used in a rural region for many years.

The Model T is of unknown history, I seem to recall it's a body builtup on a local chassis showing American Field Service. May not have any war history.

The latter image with the aircraft is also a rebuild. At the Aviation Heritage Centre, Omaka, Blenheim, NZ.

This collection has links to Peter Jackson the film maker and hence the display presentation being so realistic.

Yes, the T is a replica. See, for example here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/news/2674/AFS-on-history-tour-for-60th-birthday

Do you have a close-up of the radiator badge on the Rover-Sunbeam? The Sunbeam-Talbot-Darracq Register recently had an article on this vehicle and suggested the badge wasn't the normal script found on Sunbeams, but didn't have a clear close-up!

Apparently, the ambulance was named "Gutless Gert" in service. In 1919 it was shipped to New Zealand for use in areas without resident doctors; and was stationed at Greymouth. In 1925, having passed through the hands of one private owner, Stan Booth acquired it and converted it into a motor caravan. It was discovered by Bryan Jackson, Northland, in 1966, who bought it for £30 and restored it to war service condition bearing RASC markings and renamed it "Jessie". Bought by Mr Rhodes in 1970s.

Edited by Runflat

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48668[/ATTACH]

USA Class B Liberty, came to me from Spain in two halves, all chassis and mechanical components are original, body new. Originally used by US in France. Restored in my workshop for East Sussex collector.

Richard Peskett.

OK that adds 1 in the UK. I am sure that there are others.

Off topic but I would like to post some Liberty pictures. How do I do this without posting a link which the reader must click on??

bob

Click on 'reply'

Type some text

Scroll down and click on 'manage attachments'

Click on 'add files' (you won't be able to load if file size is too big)

Click on 'insert inline'

Click on 'preview post' - drag things around if in wrong order!

Submit reply

OK. Thats a good start with the Liberty's. The reason why so many survive in the US is probably down to a Furrer who bought a films prop collection which included 9 Liberty's. Here are some of them after the mseum closed and as they were bought by Gordon Clare and Hayes Otoupalik.

LibertyArizona1.jpg

The one at Cantigny had a Pierce Arrow rad and is currently being restored. It might be the same one that was offered for sale in Wyoming some years ago.

There are two more on an old airbase in Texas. They have been saved for restoration. I wont publish the photos yet until i have the say so from Jon who took them. he posts here occasionally.

This is the one in Canada which was recently offered for sale:

Pic_06022010-2.jpg

This is Adrian Wingets one in Virginia:

IMGP6483.jpg

There are many in France. I would think at least 30. I have pictures of a few of these, but the photographer did not want them published. Interestingly in the letters pages of the French magazine Charge Utile an undisovered Liberty turns up nearly every issue. Here is one of Oliviers. I think he has three now.

liberty-1.jpg

Does the FWD in the photo of the film props collection have a military history?

While going through the American trucks of origin, should there be another category for other armed conflicts where motorized transport were used. The Mexican campaign is the obvious one and was well covered in an earlier thread. I also recall an item on an early gun tractor in one of the Scandinavian countries that was involved in a conflict pre 1914.

Yes, the T is a replica. See, for example here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/news/2674/AFS-on-history-tour-for-60th-birthday

Do you have a close-up of the radiator badge on the Rover-Sunbeam? The Sunbeam-Talbot-Darracq Register recently had an article on this vehicle and suggested the badge wasn't the normal script found on Sunbeams, but didn't have a clear close-up!

Apparently, the ambulance was named "Gutless Gert" in service. In 1919 it was shipped to New Zealand for use in areas without resident doctors; and was stationed at Greymouth. In 1925, having passed through the hands of one private owner, Stan Booth acquired it and converted it into a motor caravan. It was discovered by Bryan Jackson, Northland, in 1966, who bought it for £30 and restored it to war service condition bearing RASC markings and renamed it "Jessie". Bought by Mr Rhodes in 1970s.

The Model T is shown at different vintage shows, and was about the country a few years ago promoting the A.F.S. scheme. While it was in town I photographed it, however those prints ( as of the time) are filed in away in a box, and without a good indexing system it's finding time to locate them. It becomes a voyage of discovery when that box is opened and all sorts of other interesting prints emerge, that then require follow up research.

My son photographed the Rover Sunbeam will away on one of his trips. I did not include the data originally as the image is not complete, having the sides missing. The radiator badge is shown.

Rover Sunbeam  notice alt eml258.jpg

Rover Sunbeam badge alt eml 257.jpg

Alright then

As for the Liberty Trucks we had 21 on my list to date. To that Tim adds in recent postings:

2 in Texas

1 more in Canada

9 with Hayes Otoupalik( not sure if he has sold them and they are already in the total)

1 Adrian Winget

I unlisted collection in US

Plus 30 or so estimated in France

SO WE ARE UP TO ABOUT55- 65 LIBERTY TRUCKS...........I will add to this as others come in or alter totals if vehicles are listed twice.

Insofar as I picked the Liberty to start on can we plan on a UK lorry for the next vehicle please. I expect the numbers to be smaller so perhaps we can do a couple of types simultaneously. You guys pick it!!!

bob

Edited by bobs1918

At the new Swedish MV Museum, Arsenalen there is an FWD from 1917 that has been hidden in a "secret" storage for years - original (not restored). There is also an LK II from 1918 with original Benz engine, and as I understand there is another LK (upgraded with Scania engine) that will be restored into running condition.

The Renault NC 27 is a "postwar" vehicle, but as far as I know the only remaining in the world.

The "Pavesi" is not a Pavesi, but a Swedish built NOHAB Artillery Tractor from 1928.

http://www.plasticwarfare.se/2011/06/arsenalen-the-new-armour-museum-in-sweden/

http://www.arsenalen.se

Liberty Trucks

http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1415&bih=809&q=Liberty+Truck&gbv=2&oq=Liberty+Truck&aq=f&aqi=g1g-m1&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=2579l4021l0l5590l3l3l0l0l0l0l634l1180l0.1.4-1.1l3

Having zero expertise in this arena, I'll leave it up to others to peruse these & see which ones are/aren't on the list currently.

Liberty Trucks

http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1415&bih=809&q=Liberty+Truck&gbv=2&oq=Liberty+Truck&aq=f&aqi=g1g-m1&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=2579l4021l0l5590l3l3l0l0l0l0l634l1180l0.1.4-1.1l3

Having zero expertise in this arena, I'll leave it up to others to peruse these & see which ones are/aren't on the list currently.

Thats a great help. I think we should stick with Libertys for the time being and try and identify the ones on this link.

Here is the one at the USMC museum (Quantico?).

DSCN2884.jpg

Didnt know they had a second one which looks very sad, but is in fact very restorable - although the lack of wheels might be an issue. I am sure these both came from Hayes.

nmmc97.jpg

Edited by Great War truck

Ok. Some more Libertys. Heartland military museum in Lexington Oregon

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2799904430101215344VAGxzD

Jo Bohannon does not own a Liberty. This photo with his name on it is the Hays Liberty (assuming they have not sold it). Jo says we can use the photo for non profit making purposes, so here it is:

LibertyJoBohannon.jpg

This is the Iowa NG Liberty.

LibertyIowaNG.jpg

Fort Eustis of course:

LibertyFtEustis.jpg

The Air Force museum one:

LibertyAirforce.jpg

Edited by Great War truck

Le May car museum Liberty. Nice and shiny.

A liberty truck

Wyman, Wyoming

http://www.craigdailypress.com/news/2009/jun/20/liberty_parttime_job/

This is the Oregon NG museum one and restored by Steve Mcgeorge

LibertyOregon.jpg

This is the one recently advertised on E Bay.

LibertyEbay.jpg

I am sure tehre are many more in the USA that we dont know about.

The Cantigny one is the same as the 1st Division museum. It is also one that was pulled out of the woods a few years ago, possibly from Wyoming. It has a Pierce Arrow rad on it which makes it stick out.

|I cant find a decent image of it. However if you follow this link and click on the Liberty a poor picture of the Cantigny Liberty pops up.

http://www.firstdivisionmuseum.org/museum/exhibits/vehicles/libertytruck.aspx

Well, if you consider Dennis, the total is just one.

With Autocars, I think the total is two. That would be ours and also an armoured version used by the Canadian motor machine gun brigade and now preserved in the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa. That is a complete, original vehicle with a provenance. Does anyone have a recent picture?

Steve