Minimum speed on highway

Speed is dependent on weather and traffic conditions but always keep a minimum of two seconds apart in dry clear weather and at least four seconds in wet.

ONLY A FOOL BREACKS THE TWO SECOND RULE.

AND A BIGGER FOOL BREACKS THE FOUR SECOND RULE.

Two second rule is a bit hard to achieve when you are on a motorway and someone decides to drive towards you! (or change tyre in the outside lane....)

Edited by antarmike

Two second rule is a bit hard to achieve when you are on a motorway and someone decides to drive towards you! (or change tyre in the outside lane....)

If some one is driving towards you on a motorway I suspect you will have a more major problem to worry about......... :wow: :wow:

I have seen the video's so I know it happens. This thread is an offshoot of an earlier one on making vehicles more visible to prevent rear ending. My point is that yes, try whatever you can but there are so many unexpected things happening out there don't ever believe you are now going to be accident free.

Whether this is someone behind you fast asleep because they have ignored driver's hours, someone in micro-sleep for seconds, someone coming at you from the front because they have made a mistake, and driven down the exit slip, or have missed the slip and are reversing back down the motorway, or they are driving a stolen car etc and think they can lose the Police chase cars if they deliberately drive onto a motorway and drive against the flow.

It all happens. driving is a risk, if you find the risk unacceptable, stop driving, you sure as hell won't alter other peoples behaviour r in some respects, just by putting reflectors or lights on the back of a military vehicles

Agreed. I have a friend in what remains of Kent Constabularies Traffic Police and his "beat" is the M20. Apparently the worst bit of road in the UK for people being on the wrong side of the carriage way with continental drivers who are tired taking the wrong exit and heading down the exit slips......

If headlamps do not work as deterrents not much else will - unless you could take a lesson from the film industry and carry live m/gs... Then the police would be even more upset though... At you!!!

problem is most drivers see the speed limit as the minumum, not the maximum, whether motorway or single carriageway. As I see it, I can travel on the motorway with the militant, but have to use a flashing beacon if my speed is below a set speed, I think it is 28mph.

I'm not going to do anything different, just keep plodding.

During my H test training I was told there was a minimum speed of 30mph on UK motorways and that therefore they cannot be used by tracked vehicles, which cannot legally exceed 20mph. However, my search for any piece of legislation specifying that 30mph minimum limit has been singularly unsuccessful!

Andy

Speed limit for tracked vehicles with resilient pads/ roadwheels is 20mph, or 5mph for those without (ie dozers), but since there does not appear to be a minimum speed limit on motorways this cannot be the reason they are prohibited from using motorways.

I too had heard that tracked vehicles were banned from Mways but aside from the earlier comments re the two Scorpions and the T55 clip on you tube, I know of at least one other individual who has undertaken quite lengthy journeys on the mway (in a CVRT natch...).

I cant actually find a piece of legislation that bans tracked vehicles from the mway, although there are a lot of anecdotal comments to that effect, most seem to be based on the supposed 30mph minimum.

Speed limit for tracked vehicles with resilient pads/ roadwheels is 20mph, or 5mph for those without (ie dozers), but since there does not appear to be a minimum speed limit on motorways this cannot be the reason they are prohibited from using motorways.

I too had heard that tracked vehicles were banned from Mways but aside from the earlier comments re the two Scorpions and the T55 clip on you tube, I know of at least one other individual who has undertaken quite lengthy journeys on the mway (in a CVRT natch...).

I cant actually find a piece of legislation that bans tracked vehicles from the mway, although there are a lot of anecdotal comments to that effect, most seem to be based on the supposed 30mph minimum.

Someone had better tell the Army then because I've undertaken a number of long motorway journeys over the years.

I did however, get flagged down by the Police after we suffered some sort of mechanical failure and he told us we were moving too slowly. Irritatingly, it was about half a mile before the services where we arranged to RV with our LAD who were going to fix it although he did let us carry on.