IMPORTANT SAFETY ISSUE: Driving vintage Military Vehicles on High Speed Roads

cordenj

Hi, I haven't read this thread fully yet so apologies if this idea has already been put forward.

How about using a trailer board, that way no non compliance issues, cheap, can fit reflective rear number plate to it so as to further increase safety. some vehicles will already have a socket for it, and easily removable, and other ways such as beacons etc can still be used if wanted.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, I haven't read this thread fully yet so apologies if this idea has already been put forward.

How about using a trailer board, that way no non compliance issues, cheap, can fit reflective rear number plate to it so as to further increase safety. some vehicles will already have a socket for it, and easily removable, and other ways such as beacons etc can still be used if wanted.

It's a good idea (that I think was mentionned) but keep in mind when talking about compliance that a trailer board is really for use on trailers, so you'll have triangular reflectors on it.

Personally, I'd have thought some reflectors are better than none, but you'd need to look at the legalities for yourself.

The fact we have all had this discussion and the point has been well and truly raised, means That Mark's death will not be pointless. Rest in Peace.

Well said.

In case anyone else on here is being stumped finding 6Volt amber lanterns, I found these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beacon-Truck-Trailer-Boat-24-LEDs-Warning-Safety-Light-Amber-6V-12V-24V-36V-/120830585725

I've not got them through yet so can't comment on how good they are, but they do support 6volt electrics so I'm hopeful.

This accident was another reason for me to install a amber beacon on my Dodge which makes driving more safely for me.

I see other cars changing lanes to overtake me way earlier then before.

Rest in peace Mark.

When travelling through Holland I used a yellow beacon on my vehicle, again the fast moving traffic pulled out long before they reached me. However, the traffic police pulled along side me and insisted that I should turn off my beacon, which of course I did........... did`nt make any sense to me, because from that point on I got toots and honks from other drivers because they were running up behind me and getting bottled in by the drivers who like myself are well aware of whats going on up ahead and had pulled out in good time to pass me!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Following on from reading this thread, I decided on 2 things re my GMC:

1. I would make up a large sign for the back.

2. I would fit seat belts.

I've managed to sort out the first by buying a sign from Raymac Signs, and screwing it to a large pine board from B&Q. Total cost about £ 35.

Here's a pic from yesterday of my co-driver Jim and the truck part-way through our 150 mile trip from of Warboys in Cambridgeshire up to York. Although you can't see it here, I also attached to the board one of the little red high-vis flashing lights that cyclists use.

2012-12-08___100_0239.JPG

Kind regards to all

Vulture

Edited by Vulture

Looks good - glad you made it safely!!

A completely trouble free journey, thank goodness :)

A long trip up the motorway on a grey autumn/winter day (maybe raining as well) in a grey vehicle doing no more than 40mph with tiny lights is an accident waiting to happen unless something can be added to make it stand out.

A completely trouble free journey, thank goodness :)

A long trip up the motorway on a grey autumn/winter day (maybe raining as well) in a grey vehicle doing no more than 40mph with tiny lights is an accident waiting to happen unless something can be added to make it stand out.

The sign was a good idea, its very visible.

Well done.