Could this be the most poorly applied Stencil?

N.O.S.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing shes a Slat grill? No jerrican, no towing electrics socket, Sheller steering wheel, etc.

Nice pic!

Edited by G506

Love it!

Can you imagine rallying one with the stencil like that...:cheesy:

QUICK!!! Phone the Jeep police!!! its not perfect:nut: next your be telling me its not 101st Airbourne?!?!?:rotfl:

love it !! ive been saying for years to many vehicles are over restored and not true to life . lets see more of it .

absolutely agree!..........to be fair I know the factorys (both here and in the US) did a sterling job in the dark days of the war but some of the vehicles have gotta be restored to a far better condition than they could ever have possibly been when delivered back in 'the day'.......???after all... quantity and basic function was the order of the day rather than pristine finish and quality wasn't it???...........

whilst I love to see any vehicle beautifully restored and gleaming.... I'd personally love to see more trucks/tanks/jeeps etc displayed in a 'battlefield condition'.....smashed headlights, ripped canvas...mud splattered maybe even a few bullet holes......can't see that happening though!

MY Uncle has photos of his time with the Eighth Army and after fighting through Africa they landed in Italy and fought to the end of the War .,,Ther vehicles were repainted mostly by hand and they looked very sad by the end of the war ..

I agree that we often over restore the old war machines ......The worn look is good

Jenkinov

That's possibly my biggest gripe. I ventured to War & Peace last year for the first time and what really set the place off was the dry and dusty conditions. All the vehicles were covered in fine dust and it did wonders for the visual effect.

I saw a vehicle I instantly fell in love with there. I had been riding around in the back of a jeep with my cousine who was involved with the judging. We stopped by an old red series 1 Landie fire tender that was to be awarded a runners up prize. Sat next to it was a completely original un-restored and nicely matured 86". It just looked so right.

When restoring a vehicle I find it very sad to see all that history being erased. Sadly though, my cousin was explaining to me that there is so much money involved in jeeps these days that to get top money you have to restore to better than new condition.

MY Uncle has photos of his time with the Eighth Army and after fighting through Africa they landed in Italy and fought to the end of the War .,,Ther vehicles were repainted mostly by hand and they looked very sad by the end of the war ..

I agree that we often over restore the old war machines ......The worn look is good

Jenkinov

When I first went to the Somerset Steam Spectacular as public, I parked up, and one of the organisers, a lady, came over and admonished me for not displaying the Land Rover. I said it's not quite ready (meaning all the gubbins and gear that goes with a military vehicle) and she said Don't do anything to it, it looks like a working military vehicle, we get far too many shiny vehicles, which shouldn't be. The Landy is still not "restored", just kept working.

you fella's are going to love my carrier as i've gone for the used look, i've even left the bullet holes and badly repaired wing, no doubt some will critisize me for not having a pristine vehicle but i won't let that bother me as i spent 14 years in the army and i never came across one there either :-)

rick

No, I don't think it is the worst, This is how the Army did my Eager Beaver

stencil004.jpg

although that is the worst on the E.B. the others aren't too special

stencil003.jpg

stencil001.jpg

Certainly shows the recent topic about "how to apply stencils" so you get a crisp edge without paint running under the stencil is showing a concern for the finished item, the army never had!

Edited by antarmike

They look to me to have been sponged on through the stencil anyway.
What gets me is how badly lined up the letters and figures in OM 33 are.......and how someone appears to have wiped off (some of the) excess paint around the M with their finger tip.

There is a picture of the hastily applied inverted V from the 1991 Gulf war, where the chevron has obviously been applied with a hand dipped in a pot of paint. You can see a second line followed by the thumb and a hand shape at the begininnig and end!

I guess it has to do with what period ones is displaying as a WWII vehicle would not look as pretty as something from a peace time example . What I 'm trying to say is that a WWII vehicle would be correct to have a very rushed and rough finish as time saved was most important as they did not plan the vehicle lasting in service all that long a few weeks or months in a combat area before needing to be sent to the rebuild shops , again it was repair repaint and send it out , I dont think they cared how neat it looked as long as the numbers and details were visible/legible. I ve seen many photo's of vehicles , softskins coming off production lines with ghosting and over spray around stencil's and a few that were tanks being given a quick repaint with all the dirt and crews equipment still in place , being done with a pressure pot and gun behind a building outdoors likely not all that many miles distant from where the action was going on .