Halley restoration

DAN THE STEAM

We will surely keep our eyes open for Halley parts in Australia & NZ - won't we boys. People just don't tend to throw things out here although we are up against some very crafty scrappy's. Just as an example of what is about... I recently came across a very tatty but very early Commercar gearbox. Robert

Hi Dan, very impressive work building that radiator from scratch, its bad enough trying to rebuild an original, especially repairing old tubes, the engine that you are looking for is a 4 cylinder? or was there an option for the larger 6 cyl engine, i've read about and seen that halley trucks did have 6 cyl engines but this may have been for fire engines? and perhaps slightly later trucks, i'll keep my ear to the ground down here in nz for you, cheers mike.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, sorry about long delay in posting, thank you everyone for there kind compliments and also for helping in the quest of finding parts.

I have been working on the steering box pattern almost finished now plus also making the patterns for the steering colum and side plate for the steering box, i havent started the internals of the box yet as i will try to finish the patterns first, i will post some pictures of these when i finish them.

I have now fitted the radiator to the chassis and also made the bonnet frame that goes on the bulkhead to support the bonnet, heres some pictures.

Dan and JenDSCN0590.jpg

DSCN0587.jpg

DSCN0588.jpg

DSCN0589.jpg

Cor, you are kind of a 3D Printer for old trucks, aren't you ?

Might be worth people going back to the start of this thread to see what you had as a starting position.

Cor, you are kind of a 3D Printer for old trucks, aren't you ?

Might be worth people going back to the start of this thread to see what you had as a starting position.

Agreed. This is inspirational stuff and a fantastic achievement to resurrect a unique truck from a scant pile of parts. I think this story will just keep on getting better and better :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, heres another piece of the story, i have now finished the steering box pattern after starting it just before christmas.

1. Side view showing the bolting face for chassis.DSCN0613.jpg

2. Showing both halfs split. DSCN0617.jpg

3.Inside face with side plate flange and core print.DSCN0610.jpg

4. View looking from the back showing the part that took some problem solving .DSCN0611.jpg

5. View of the front .DSCN0609.jpg

6. View showing two removible lugs that form the back stop bolt face also showing the core box built on one half of the pattern which the sand can be molded in to form a print due to the complex shape.

DSCN0615.jpg

7. Showing the two lugs removed, this enables the sand core to be removed from the core box, when the core box is removed from the pattern the sand core will be put back to the pattern and then molded with the pattern to form the flange and the bolting lugs plus the core print for the side.DSCN0616.jpg

8. View showing all the parts of the pattern with all five core boxes, side and inside cores also showing the side plate casting and the steering colum base pattern.

DSCN0600.jpg

I am hoping to get to the foundry this week, cant wait.

I hope this makes sense.

Dan and Jen.

Edited by DAN THE STEAM

• 4 months later...

I am really enjoying following this thread.

Dan, that is amazing, the way you never let a few missing vital parts get in the way of progress. :)

Future archaeologists are going to be convinced that "D.J. Nemeth" was the name of a foundry which supplied castings to Halley & Co. In the early 20th century!

looking forward to the next instalment.....

Hi mtskull, thankyou well the parts are only missing in a 3d matterial form but are there in my head so i just have to learn the skills required and take it from my head and make it reality, and thats the fun part. here are some pics of the box fitted to the chassis.DSCN0730.jpgWell its not the dogs ******** athough the cat likes it:rotfl: beware tiger security on patrol:shake:

DAN oh and CHEEZY WOTSIT (the cat)?

DSCN0726.jpg

DSCN0727.jpg

DSCN0728.jpg

DSCN0729.jpg

Edited by DAN THE STEAM

• 2 months later...

Hi all, and happy new year, Santa visited the Halley with a late present, :shake:the weight probably slowed him down anyway i'll let the pictures tell you more??DSCN0774.jpg ITS THE BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT EVER (just like all big kids shreds of rapping paper everywere:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::clap::clap::banana::banana::banana:)

DSCN0770.jpg

DSCN0771.jpg

DSCN0772.jpg

DSCN0773.jpg

I have only just fitted the engine in today,after getting it out the back of the Land Rover this morning, then lowered it into the chassis to measure up for some temporary brackets and found the engines support legs fit with an 1" 1/4 from the inside of my chassis rails and between centers from front to back the engines brackets are only 2" 1/2 difference from my original engine bracket bolt holes, also the top of the engine sits about the right height from the top of the header tank with the crankshaft sat at the right height for the starting handle. A massive thank you to the previous owner as now the Halley has a heart, this is a great start for 2014 and a step in the right direction. Here's some more pictures for you all to enjoy.DSCN0789.jpg Dan.

DSCN0777.jpg

DSCN0778.jpg

DSCN0779.jpg

DSCN0780.jpg

DSCN0781.jpg

DSCN0782.jpg

DSCN0784.jpg

DSCN0785.jpg

DSCN0787.jpg

DSCN0788.jpg

Hi Dan, this is brilliant news. Looking forward to stopping by to have a look. I have just got my discovery back on the road so will down with my trailer to collect the Mat gearbox in January.

Happy new year to you and your dad,

best Regards

ian