Halley restoration

DAN THE STEAM

I'M BACK!:wave: Hi all, sorry I havent posted for some time now I have still been working on the Halley as well as other projects and jobs.

Today i went to the foundrie to collect the radiator side castings and the patterns and also the steering joint castings plus pattern, i have also made the new mudgaurd brackets for the front end plus finishing off the front axle, shackel pins, and the new front hooks so all now fitted so heres some pics of the patterns and will post pics of the castings at some point.DSC06316.jpgDan and Jen.

DSC06308.jpg

DSC06309.jpg

DSC06310.jpg

DSC06311.jpg

DSC06312.jpg

DSC06315.jpg

Hi Dan,

great to see some new parts coming along. Did not get much of chance to look at your progress or chat the other day when I collected the matador hoops. Hope to be down again some time after Xmas. I need to spend some time with my camera and your dads Matador, need to get some detail pics.

Keep up the great work

ian

Dan you really are getting right back to basics. A new, old design part fabricated every other month or so. Full marks for your perseverance and I for one look forward to the ongoing story to completion and back on the road. Rod

• 3 weeks later...

Happy christmas Tony Steve and all the family, the first ball joint was machined free hand and took me all day to machine the one ball and the shank, also the same for the cups so i then ground up a tool for machining the sockets then lapping them into the balls with paste. The ball was a bit more tricky in the end i dismantled the compound slide and bolted a rotary table to the sadle on the lathe then fixed my cutting tool to the table, so i could machine the ball round and it worked really well. I have fully machined two am machining a therd now and started the forth and have also started the track rod as well. The next machining chalenge is the steering box :shake:.

Happy christmas all and a happy new year from Dan Jen and the Halley

• 2 months later...

Hi all, sorry about the long wait, i have been working on the Halley's radiator header and bottom tank, i was going to make patterns for them and get them cast but the amount of time this would have taken i thought i could fabicate them and finish them off to look just like castings also building in machining alowance for distortion that over the total length i managed to keep it within 1/8th of an inch on the machining faces.

Both parts have been machined and index drilled for the tube plates and all the flange mounts have been machined true to the base so that the pipe fittings bolt up nice and level to the rest of the radiator, i finished all this last week and was started to panic about what to do about the core and then on friday a freind popped in by chance to see what was in the works, and whelst talking to him and showing the radiator he said he had a pile of new old stock radiator tubes in his atic so after he mesured them on friday eve he said yes to a visit on sat morining that we did and i bought 160 of them, i have since cut down and removed 3/4 of an inch of the giles from the sawn down end and put them into some plywood to see how thay look and now the Halley has a face:yay: :yay:and a brand new radiator made to one hundred plus years works drawing. Picture 159.jpgThe back of the rad showing the first row being fitted.

Have also machined and fitted the foot tread castings will post pics when i get them enjoy.

DAN AND JEN.

Picture 156.jpg

Picture 160.jpg

Picture 153.jpg

Picture 154.jpg

Hi all, jen and i have been working on the radiator core today which started from index drilling the tubeplates (brass now not ply) to fitting all the tubes in the bottom tube plate first, that was the easy one then alinging the top tubes that took a bit longer but got there.DSCN0345[1].jpgThese pictures are to show how clean the soldering is.

Regards Dan and Jen.

DSCN0250[1].jpg

DSCN0266[1].jpg

DSCN0290[1].jpg

DSCN0318[1].jpg

DSCN0333[1].jpg

DSCN0335[1].jpg

DSCN0343[1].jpg

Nice bit of soldering Dan. I would have worried that the brass plates would have moved a bit while they were being soldered but you obviously got it right. I assume that the plain copper pipe is an overflow from inside the top of the header tank.

I do hope that you can find an engine before you get a chance to make one from scratch but at the rate you are going I wonder! Do you have any decent photos of the correct engine so we know what to look out for?

David

That engine and box is a bit of work, isn't it?

It looks like HALLEY built the whole thing then ( having Glasgow on the side of the block ) Chances are it was only fitted to their trucks, patterns will have been dumped nearly a century ago, not much chance they were fitted to other trucks or for other uses as they would be expensive to make in limited quantities.

I can only think of a few possibilities. Transport museum in Glasgow may have information or exhibits, failing that the most likely places for survivors are on top of a mountain in New Zealand or in a dusty bit of Australia.

Still, given the talents and skills shown, no big deal if you completely restore the whole truck less engine and box, do a temporary power train, then left the result waiting for an original to turn up.

Lovely job

Edited by Gordon_M