Halley restoration

DAN THE STEAM

Hi all, just a small update, i have removed the crank from the engine had it shot blasted then dropped it of at engine re conditioners to be crack tested and then re ground as the rust and heavy wear on the bearing suffices means the crank does not look to good, but is salvageable will post pics when i get it back.

Dan.

Dan,

It is quite possible to build up the journals with mig weld (no inclusions) and remachine the crank as if it is a new one being made from scratch. You can't do just one journal as the welding will make it warp but if it is all very worn that is not a problem. In the 60s and 70s this was a way that American hot rodders built engines with more or less stroke than standard, using both cast and forged cranks, and they were going to rev the nuts off their engines. Your crank is made of something rather like mild steel so should weld very nicely. The journals need a very good finish but do not need to be particularly hard on an engine that makes as little power as yours so this might be a way out.

Great to see it moving forward again.

David

Dan,

It is quite possible to build up the journals with mig weld (no inclusions) and remachine the crank as if it is a new one being made from scratch. You can't do just one journal as the welding will make it warp but if it is all very worn that is not a problem. In the 60s and 70s this was a way that American hot rodders built engines with more or less stroke than standard, using both cast and forged cranks, and they were going to rev the nuts off their engines. Your crank is made of something rather like mild steel so should weld very nicely. The journals need a very good finish but do not need to be particularly hard on an engine that makes as little power as yours so this might be a way out.

Great to see it moving forward again.

David

like this?

1472876_681073921925593_74077024_n.jpg

so....

Did Halley manufacture their own engines then?....or was it a case of grab a proven design from a reputable manufacturer?

just wondering if this would be the same for the gearbox?

I have been looking at this thread for a while and it just goes to show that with dedication anything can be brought back....

i think those in here that involve themselves with this depth of restoration are a credit to us all.

Well done.

Dan,

Did you work out which model this chassis is? As a point of interest what is the wheel base, for it seems to be be about a 2 1/2 tonner.

Interested to read of the crankshaft marking indicating an American engine. That design of front engine mount and oil filler matches nothing I have here. The cast block and steel sump makes the engine dating to me in the period around 1920. Prior dates tend to be alloy crankcase as with Lycoming engines.

If we could find a link showing which motor manufacturers the foundry supplied crank shafts to, that would help.My searching through the internet has brought up nothing.

Your rebuilding is a magnificent undertaking.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Dan, that crank looks brilliant, I bet you were pleased when you pick it up. Hope to be over to see you in the next week or so to pick up that gear box.

Ian

Hi Ian, thanks and yes i realy was pleased with the end result.

Look forward to seeing you.

I think the engine may be American ? , a couple of points - the priming tap shown is identical to those of the set of originals that were in my Jeffery-Quad. Park Drop Forgings , incorporated May 1907, were crankshaft manufacturers in Ohio, merging with Ohio Gears in 1967.

Richard Peskett.

Hi Richard, thank you for the info, i am searching ever part for something to help all figure out what it is.

I would agree with Richards postulation that it is American. That primer is identical to those in our American built Autocars.

I am pleased to learn of 'Park Drop Forgings' though. Something else to look out for!

Steve :-D

Hi Steve, thank you for the email it's a nice picture.

so....

Did Halley manufacture their own engines then?....or was it a case of grab a proven design from a reputable manufacturer?

just wondering if this would be the same for the gearbox?

I have been looking at this thread for a while and it just goes to show that with dedication anything can be brought back....

i think those in here that involve themselves with this depth of restoration are a credit to us all.

Well done.

Hi, yes Halley did build there own engines and gearboxes but at first fitted Tylor engines, as far as i know they have always built there own gearboxes.

Also thankyou for the kind comments, it helps to drive you to get on with it.

To say I am in awe, is an understatement!! Excellent thread, your work is truely inspiring!
Thanks, i am the some with when i saw the Goslings Dennis and saw that it was possible to do it.

Progress has been a bit slow but hoping to get going on the Halley to full speed again.

Dan,

Did you work out which model this chassis is? As a point of interest what is the wheel base, for it seems to be be about a 2 1/2 tonner.

Interested to read of the crankshaft marking indicating an American engine. That design of front engine mount and oil filler matches nothing I have here. The cast block and steel sump makes the engine dating to me in the period around 1920. Prior dates tend to be alloy crankcase as with Lycoming engines.

If we could find a link showing which motor manufacturers the foundry supplied crank shafts to, that would help.My searching through the internet has brought up nothing.

Your rebuilding is a magnificent undertaking.

Doug

Hi Doug, i have identified my Halley as a B35, off the top of my head i cant remember the length of my wheel base but will measure it for you.

The sump on the engine is cast iron as it has a massive crack down one side at the front, and thank you for the kind words.

Dan.

Hi all again, thought id update you on the project, when i removed the cam shaft i found the timing gear nut had been striped of its thread and the end of the cam had been riveted over to stop it falling off :nono:, so i decided today to try and machine the riveted head off and remove the timing gear to see if i can screw cut a new thread, the answer is YES

*as normal* Here's some pics to show you what i found.

DSCN0861.jpgNote. the chalk mark on the timing gear then how much play there is in the key and key way, i think this may have been a pig for running in its day.

Dan.

DSCN0843.jpg

DSCN0846.jpg

DSCN0849.jpg

DSCN0850.jpg

DSCN0851.jpg

DSCN0854.jpg

DSCN0855.jpg

DSCN0858.jpg

I think you will find the engine is a c.1914 Continental as per attached and fitted into a Palladium chassis

[ATTACH=CONFIG]87087[/ATTACH]

Richard Peskett.

Hi Richard, that looks extremely similar but there are still differences, like the water pump is inline with the mag, the oil filler is at the front of the engine.

but apart from that is very similar, thanks.

Dan

i`v found several pictures whilst pottering about on the net...i`m sure they are halley`s

here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]87077[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]87078[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]87079[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]87080[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]87081[/ATTACH]

Theres some nice clear pics there, the only one that im not sure about being a Halley is picture number two, but i could be wrong, thanks.

Dan.

Theres some nice clear pics there, the only one that im not sure about being a Halley is picture number two, but i could be wrong, thanks.

Dan.

it was a case of if there was anything on them pics that you could find handy as reference points etc...

but also as a bit of a booster as well...

dont forget Dan that soon you will have something similar to the pics....:)