Clansman 351 - what are all these bits?

scott9643

Question

I haven't quite got in to the plethora of spurious bits of army kit that seem to adorn preserved vehicles at shows these days and aerials with flags attached are my favourite! Anyway, I've just bought a 12v Lightwieght with a couple of TUUAMs nailed to the front wings? and racking on the inside with the some odd connector boxes attached. I don't want to throw it all away and quite fancy a radio set but don't know anything about Clansman, or what goes with what.

Can any of you radio experts help please -- what are the boxes? do they go together? (I note one has 28v on it) and what do I need to buy to make it all work -- set, parts, leads etc. HELP! :nut:

clansman01.jpg

clansman02.jpg

clansman03.jpg

clansman04.jpg

clansman05.jpg

12 answers to this question

Hi Scott, contact Alex , "Chubbster", he has a lightweight and has fitted his out with all Clansman, I just run Clansman manpacks so Alex will be your best bet, he may not see your question so PM him, regards, Ian. ( tell him I sent you:-D)

Try to help where I can, but may stand corrected!

1. Drivers box (DB) Used in installations where intercommunication facilities only required. My only manual shows how it would be used in a tank! But have heard they can be connected in a way you can talk to each other in a Airportable.

2. Not sure on that one.

3. Oh. need to go back to your post for the pic.

1 and 5 are some of the boxes you would use to set up an intercom. The IB3 (no 5) is the main box in an intercom system and is where the power, radios etc connect. The drivers box (no 1) is designed to be used in a tank, but is rarely used and a Crew Box 2 set is usually used instead. No 2 looks like a power distribution box. No 3 is used in a VRC353 installation and goes between the TUAMM and the radio. No 4 is an initiate box and is used ina 351/2 installation. It does look like someones bought some random boxes and bolted them to the dexion as not many seem to be connected!

Chris

Edited by sirhc

3. Adaptor RF. connected between the TUAAM (on the wing) and a 353 (Big radio)

4. Initiator box. Connected between TUAAM and a 351/2 to tune to a set frequency.

5. IB3. Can be used in a installation of up to three radio's. Again think I have seen used in a system to talk to each other.

Sorry not a lot of help, you will find the box,s 3,4 the most usefull for a basic radio display.

Scott9643,The lads here have got most of it covered here, if you still need a hand with it or advise drop me a PM and I can send you photos etc of the install, it's a simple system to install. Cheers all Alex (ps I'm using my phone and for some it won't let me put it in paragraphs!)

Thanks very much all. The knowledge and friendly assistance on this site never fails to impress me. Your schematic is exactly what I wanted Andy -- thanks for that

PM on the way Alex

I am very interested in this thread. I have a number of vehicles to install intercom function for driver and 2 others per vehicle and am just digging through notes.

Don't stop!

Robin

An IB2 or an IB3 in conjunction with Radio Junction Box (as in a Ferret) and a CB2 (drivers box). Plus lots of cables. Not knowing the circumstances for radio operation in Canada the PRC 351 Manpack radio has an intercom function as well.

An IB2 box has an additional headphone plug as well which makes it more convenient for the operators

IB2

ib2blck.jpg

IB3

ib3anr.jpg

Radio Junction Box

rjb.JPG

CB2 (drivers box)

driverscb2anr.jpg

A basic intercom

clansman_basic_intercom.png

1. IB3 Box.

2. Drivers Box.

3. Power Cable 2 pin female with ring connectors.

4. 12 pin IB3 – Drivers Box connecting cable.

5. Ptt (Press to talk) x 2.

6. Headsets x 2 (Prc351 radio type easy to clean).

By rights you should stick with either yellow faced boxes (ANR) and green PTT's or Black faced boxes with black PTT's and appropriate headsets for ANR or non ANR

Edited by ferrettkitt

By rights you should stick with either yellow faced boxes (ANR) and green PTT's or Black faced boxes with black PTT's and appropriate headsets for ANR or non ANR

You can put non-ANR headsets on ANR boxes but not the other way round because the ANR headsets need 24V to function and that is only provided by the ANR (yellow) boxes. The pressels are different too because the green pressels have an extra wire to pass the 24V from the box to the headset.

Andy

You can put non-ANR headsets on ANR boxes but not the other way round because the ANR headsets need 24V to function and that is only provided by the ANR (yellow) boxes. The pressels are different too because the green pressels have an extra wire to pass the 24V from the box to the headset.

Andy

Very true I have done it myself

An IB2 box has an additional headphone plug as well which makes it more convenient for the operators

... and makes it possible for the Squadron Leader to walk into the back of the command vehicle, pick up a handset and switch it to Battlegroup Command Net while the operator is in the throes of bollicking the squadron for slack VP drills, earning a rebuke for the operator from the Regimental Signals Sergeant and a killer look for the Squadron Leader who shame-facedly tries to sneak off.

To almost quote Max Bygraves (and numerous others who also covered Deck of Cards):

And friends, this is a true story. I know, I was that operator.